D&D 5E Tasha’s cauldron character thread

And can switch your style every four levels, which increases it's power.

Not from the feat alone you cant.

Only when you get an ASI increase from the Fighter class can you swap a an ASI you know with one available to Fighters. You can do the same thing as Ranger or Paladin as well (when you get an ASI from one of those classes) but its limited to F/S known by that class.

Swords bards will also need to MC to Fighter, Ranger or Paladin for at least 4 levels to swap their F/S out.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Mind Sliver is the new hotness for cantrips.

Unarmed Fighting Style has a floating 1d4 damage to whatever you are grappling. This damage is not an attack. Meaning it can bypass most kinds of resistance. Intentional? Probably not, but it is a bone for unarmed fighters who would otherwise not have a magical weapon.

Mind Sliver is the new hotness for cantrips.

Unarmed Fighting Style has a floating 1d4 damage to whatever you are grappling. This damage is not an attack. Meaning it can bypass most kinds of resistance. Intentional? Probably not, but it is a bone for unarmed fighters who would otherwise not have a magical weapon.

That and the new Grappling strike BM Manouver could see some love.

Every Vuman/ Spec race Monk ever is gonna take the feat that gets them Unarmed F/S at 1st.

The Attack action damage stays the same (any monk can use a Staff), but the martial arts bonus attack and the two from flurries (which must come from unarmed) suddenly become 1d8 damage each.

Swap the F/S out for a different one when your unarmed damage becomes 1d8 anyway.

Aldarc

Legend
I felt like 4e got it right with 5 minute short rests. You cannot refresh the abilities the middle of a combat, but it gave a clear delineation between times when you completely put adventuring on hold and when you just catch a breather. I've seen too many tables where short rest characters are literally nerfed to death because of the new paradigm.
Even then, it's not like there wouldn't have been other options in between, such as 10 minute short rests and 30 minute short rests.

Actually, 5e could have done something like Numenera did. Every time you take a short rest (or make a recovery check), the time required for the next rest gets longer. So, for example, the first short rest could require 5 minutes, then 15 minutes, then 30 minutes, then 1 hour, then 2 hours.

dalisprime

Explorer
Even then, it's not like there wouldn't have been other options in between, such as 10 minute short rests and 30 minute short rests.

Actually, 5e could have done something like Numenera did. Every time you take a short rest (or make a recovery check), the time required for the next rest gets longer. So, for example, the first short rest could require 5 minutes, then 15 minutes, then 30 minutes, then 1 hour, then 2 hours.
I'm actually doing something like that in my campaign. First short rest is 1 minute, second 10 third 1 hour. Can only benefit from 1 short rest per hour and up to 3 per day. If you want a 4th one you need the catnap spell.

Works pretty well.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'll be making the small adjustment to my Artificer, I expect.
Interestingly... the new rules don't seem to automatically apply themselves to existing characters in D&DB.

Edit: Ah, the creatures you can add in "Extras" do not seem directly tied to the rules. Pity, that.

Last edited:

Remove ads