D&D 5E Tasha’s cauldron character thread

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I'm going to make a mountain dwarf armorer artificer that uses Booming Blade on his thunder gauntlets named "Thoradin 'Thunderpunch' Thevruk."

I may also make a High Elf Bladesinger Wizard/Arcane Trickster Rogue with the Revenant Blade feat and a Double-Bladed Scimitar.

Ace

Adventurer
Going to play a variant human bladesinger if I get a chance. This is predicated on either me deciding to get into an online group or finding that rare unicorn that wants to play at high level . Otherwise , if I can't find a group that at least wants to play above 5 or 10 I'm playing something else not D&D since I'm tired of low level play and the DM's that won't do anything else.

As to my build. I was thinking

STR 10, INT 16, WiS 10, CON 14, DEX 14, CHA 10 toughness feat 2 ASI in INT, 1 ASI in DEX, 1 ASI in CON and if somehow it gets high enough which I suspect it won't , one in something else, maybe Lucky. This makes me essentially a medium HP caster and at high levels with a top solid AC from armor, shield and all that along with spells and a sword for emergencies.

I did consider dropping Toughness and the Lucky for Martial Initiate and Duel Wielding which would allow me to go full case of rapiers but it made the build too fragile for my tastes so no go.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
We are talking about taking hex as one of an Aberrant Mind's Psionic Sorcery spells, so it has no components.

Ah. Well, no components might definitely make it harder to know who did what to you, sure.

"Weakened" isn't a physical sensation that people have. We "feel weakened" when we try to do something and find it harder than we're used to. If you're not trying to do something, there's no reason for you to detect anything off. That's why I would say you notice it when the disadvantage kicks in--when you actually try to make a check.

This, however, I completely disagree with. Even if you don't know you've been Hexed I think you absolutely would know that something was wrong with you (no matter what ability got Hexed). In D&D you don't have to roll checks unless you try something that's difficult, but it's not like your character is not actively using their Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma even when they're not actively rolling checks. If they're walking, breathing, thinking, or talking, they'd notice something was off.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I am definitely interested in the alchemist, far more than the other artificers.

And while I won't do it myself, I do hope that someone will make a goblin caster in a satin dress...

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
This, however, I completely disagree with. Even if you don't know you've been Hexed I think you absolutely would know that something was wrong with you (no matter what ability got Hexed). In D&D you don't have to roll checks unless you try something that's difficult, but it's not like your character is not actively using their Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma even when they're not actively rolling checks. If they're walking, breathing, thinking, or talking, they'd notice something was off.
hmmmm

See, I see Hex as a curse that affects your luck and this impact your performance at a critical point (when a roll is required). Trying to lift something? On noes your back seizes up! Dex check needed? Your shoe laces are untied! Intelligence check? what the heck is that itch! Wisdom check? Man I can't stop thinking about that curse!!

No, when you have the flu, or have just finished your final set of 10 reps, or your exhausted or whatever. You feel weakened, and you can tell.

Your muscles arent working as well as they should, and your body lets your mind know about it.
No, you do not know instantly. It's when you sit up and your head hurts that you realise you have flu. It's when you are doing your last rep when you feel your muscles ache. It's when you try to do something that you notice a problem.

Chances are, an intelligent person will notice something is up within a few minutes, but a few minutes is usually plenty of time for the party to do what they wanted. And an unintelligent target - e.g. a guard dog - is never going to wonder why they don't feel 100%.

Well when pressed to make a character for a one shot tonight, with only a couple hours time actually looking at this book first, I chose the Fey Ranger. I'm not sure I'm blown away by its progression overall, but so far as the upfront level 3 package of stuff it gets (support for becoming the party face and getting a combat boost that doesn't crowd up the bonus action) I think it is top tier ranger. It was a level 6 one shot, so the rest of the features didn't matter. 100% would pick again for first tier or early 2nd tier play.

clearstream

(He, Him)
I'm really hating how they're turning towards "X per long rest" as the go-to mechanic. I'd much rather things generally revolve around per-encounter balance.
I think I agree with this. On surface a value like 2 per long rest could be considered much the same as 1 per short rests given their ought be two short rests per long, but then the first case permits applying 2 per encounter while the latter does not.

One is then drawn to a really large scale difference between short and long rests - say 5 minute short rests - but then one would have to cap the number of short rests per long else short rest classes overshadow long rest.

The mechanic might be - A short rest requires 5 minutes inactivity (defined however you like). You can take up to two short rests between long rests. A long rest requires 3 days inactivity (or whatever you think is right, but I have found 3 days really effective now over a lot of sessions). And then some language to cover corner cases (like serial resting).

The mechanic might be - A short rest requires 5 minutes inactivity (defined however you like). You can take up to two short rests between long rests.
Yep. Do exactly this - it makes the game much simpler and easier for everyone and nothing at all is lost. I thought it was just me, but quite a lot of people seem to be doing this.

A long rest requires 3 days inactivity (or whatever you think is right, but I have found 3 days really effective now over a lot of sessions). And then some language to cover corner cases (like serial resting).
The time doesn't matter. What matters is the conditions. The first thing to decide when messing with long rests is what are the circumstances under which you don't want the party to be able to take a long rest?

Remove ads