Technobabble In RPGs

Sometimes you need to produce spontaneous scientific jargon in your game. Your PCs need to oscillate the anterior nadion actuator or invert the ambient access manifold. Maybe it's important that somebody harmonise the magnetic flux stabiliser. Technobabble, a feature of Star Trek and Doctor Who, can inject some atmosphere into your game. The following table uses a d66 (roll d6 twice, the first being 'tens' and the second being 'ones') to randomly generate one of 46,656 different combinations.

Sometimes you need to produce spontaneous scientific jargon in your game. Your PCs need to oscillate the anterior nadion actuator or invert the ambient access manifold. Maybe it's important that somebody harmonise the magnetic flux stabiliser. Technobabble, a feature of Star Trek and Doctor Who, can inject some atmosphere into your game. The following table uses a d66 (roll d6 twice, the first being 'tens' and the second being 'ones') to randomly generate one of 46,656 different combinations.

Read in the format alpha the beta gamma delta.

Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 23.43.20.png

Taken from What's OLD is NEW
SaveSaveSaveSave

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I have no idea what any of this means. I have a flaw in techno-babble, but love to run Star Wars and have a current post apocalyptic game at moment too, so this is awesome for me. I have no idea (and don't care in the slightest) what any of these entries mean... and that is why I love it. I am sure my players won't either.

Just recently re-watched Firefly and they talk techno-babble about the ship a lot. I still cannot remember one word of it. So having a list/table of terms to reel off is great. My kind of table.

So, for me, I guess computer-speak would be the next vote.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads