• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teleportation at level 1

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
By the rules of teleportation, if he is manacled to a wall, the manacles stay behind. If he is manacled, but these aren't fixed anywhere, the manacles teleport with him.

Then I would put the Eladrin in manacles that have the wrist parts welded together behind his back and the ankle parts welded together as well so he can't walk.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And that would be all well and good, if it wasn't for one little statement in the Wild Shape description; "You choose a specific form whenever you use wild shape, and that form has no effect on your game statistics or movement modes."

Well, even giving you the bit about game stats, clearly there has to be some logical *ahem* wiggle room in that: if someone changed into a snake, octopus or similarly "alien" but still natural form, few of those forms have the movement modes of a typical human, their physical dimensions would change.

Or do you feel that wild shape's language would preclude you from taking such forms?

Ryujin

Legend
Well, even giving you the bit about game stats, clearly there has to be some logical *ahem* wiggle room in that: if someone changed into a snake, octopus or similarly "alien" but still natural form, few of those forms have the movement modes of a typical human, their physical dimensions would change.

Or do you feel that wild shape's language would preclude you from taking such forms?

I think that Wild Shape's language would allow you to take the form of a wolf and, therefore, slip free of manacles for example, but wouldn't permit you to escape from a cell.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Which is why you adopt the form of a snake instead. A 200lb Boa is no bigger around than your forearm...and is somewhat compressible. A Druid willing and able to take the form of a 200lb octopus would have 30 minutes to squeeze out: as long as there is an opening bigger than a 50 cent piece, it will be no problem, and it won't take very long, either. 5 minutes, max.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Except that said Druid would have to have chosen that form as his Wild Shape, from the beginning, and such an act implies a form of movement or ability that isn't within the stated purview of the ability. I wouldn't allow it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Except that said Druid would have to have chosen that form as his Wild Shape, from the beginning, and such an act implies a form of movement or ability that isn't within the stated purview of the ability. I wouldn't allow it.

The actual quote from the power is:

PHB2, p84
Wild Shape Power

"...The beast form is your size, resembles a natural or fey beast, and normally doesn't change your game statistics or movement modes."
(emphasis mine)

That is not an absolute bar to stat changes or changing movement modes.

While I probably wouldn't OK a significant stat boost (more than +2), I'd have no problem granting the different movement type based on the creature's natural abilities.

In addition, I don't see a reading of the rules here that says the Wild Shape is chosen once and static forevermore, just that a particular form is chosen when the power is used.

Furthermore, the language on p83 talks about assuming an incarnation of a Primal Beast, reptiles, rage drakes, crocodiles, owlbears and bulettes.

And you'd have a problem with a 200lb snake?

I really think you're just looking for a way to shut down the power.

Mapache

Explorer

You don't have a specific wild shape. You pick what you turn into each time you use the power, though given individuals tend to favor particular forms: "You choose a specific form whenever you use wild shape… Your choice of Primal Aspect might suggest a specific form you prefer to assume".

Incenjucar

Legend
How is turning into a snake abusive?

It's technically an exploit. Provided they had thought of it at the time, WotC would likely have narrowed Wild Shape down to roughly similar dimensions to prevent such things and made "slithering form" its own utility power. It's not a huge deal in 99% of campaigns, but it WILL give you an unintended option that could have consequences in adventures not written with snaky druids in mind.

Remove ads