• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teleportation overcomes tripping?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Just wanted to ask a simple question because it came up the other night and I honestly didn't know for sure if this works or not, and the DM, upon me asking, didn't seem sure either.

My character had just tripped a devil. Rather than stand and provoke, it chose to teleport about 20 ft away. The DM had him standing upright upon reaching his destination, as though the Sp or Su ability included the function of re-orienting yourself. I figured he'd arrive in the new square as he was previously -- prone.

Has this been addressed before? Doesn't matter that much...since you can in any situation with teleport move completely out of harm's way, it's a question of whether such a creature can then stand and 5 ft step vs. just taking a normal move action to move, but I'm still curious.

Aran Thule

First Post
My view on this would be that the teleport would simply move them but they would not be able to change their stance mid teleport.

Jimlock

Adventurer
hmm.. funny bit.

I always played it as if the teleported one(s) could assume a position adequate for the new surroundings.

Otherwise you wouldn't be able to teleport on a tree, a ladder... you would even stumble and risk to fall on a normal staircase.

What if you ARE on a ladder and teleport on a straight surface? You would automatically fall down (prone).

So I always assume that the body adjusts.

OTOH, one could argue that teleport does not necessarily change one's conditions. If he was prone he is still prone. If he was on fire, he is still on fire (except if he teleports into a lake :))

For the scenario you described (standing from prone after teleporting) I've typically just asked for a spellcraft check from whomever is doing it. I usually set the DC at 15 or 20 so it's not impossible but still requires a roll usually.

Jack Simth

First Post
Has this been addressed before? Doesn't matter that much...since you can in any situation with teleport move completely out of harm's way, it's a question of whether such a creature can then stand and 5 ft step vs. just taking a normal move action to move, but I'm still curious.

Well, let's see...

He's sacrificing his standard action (which he could otherwise use to attack you) and a concentration check to avoid provoking with a move action. It's not exactly an overpowered thing.

As for RAW? Unspecified. Some DM's will say "Yeah, sure" others will say "No, of course not" - it all depends on how the DM in question envisions teleportation as working.

shadyizok

Explorer
I found this (allthough it is 4e). There is no clarification in the rules compendium either. Personally I'dd be inclined to leave him prone, but I think the suggestion of a spellcraft check or perhaps just a straight caster lvl check (to make it slightly hard without an absurd DC) could be an elegant houserule.

Trance-Zg

First Post
I would rather call for tumble/balance check to teleport in stand up.

Same goes for ladders/trees/stairs/ropes call for jump/tumble/climb/balance.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I'll agree with the Balance check. After all, if he can 'port to a position 20 feet away, aiming a few feet higher so he can land on his feet isn't unreasonable.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads