• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teleporting Demons

Kazoo

First Post
Is the information about demons only being able to teleport 50 lbs of objects or less correct? A module I'm running states that some of the demons will grapple or constrict an opponent and then teleport away with them.

But in the Monster Manual it says they are limited to teleporting 50lbs so the demon would never get the chance to do this with normal sized victims, right?

Am I missing something??

Last edited:

Vaxalon

First Post
They goofed

REmember, the designers of that module didn't have the final edition of the MM available when they made it.

You've got two options:

1> Assume the MM is right and the demons can't pull that trick

2> Assume the module is right an dthe demons can pull that trick.

I'd probably use option 1, because otherwise the CR's get messed up.

pontus

First Post
Kazoo said:
But in the Monster Manual it says they are limited to teleporting 50lbs so the demon would never get the chance to do this with normal sized victims, right?
Demons can teleport 50 lbs worth of objects. Creatures are not objects, so demons can't teleport creatures (except for themselves). Further, you can't teleport people against their will.

Last edited:

Dwarmaj

First Post
Or... Give them the ability to use Teleport as the spell x/Day. Shouldn't have to increase the CR much for that.

I've ran into several modules that didn't follow the rules. One allowed DR in Anti-Magic areas another had Walls of Force being suppressed in an Anti-Magic area.

Dwarmaj

P.S.
At least two others in our group read this board, you might not want to give away all of you tricks. :)

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Re: Re: Teleporting Demons

pontus said:
Demons can teleport 50 lbs worth of objects. Creatures are not objects, so demons can't teleport creatures (except for themselves). Further, you can't teleport people against their will.

Yeppers you are correct. Someone even asked Sean Reynolds about teleporting dead creatures and the answer was no. A dead creature cannot be teleported because it is not an object either.

Magus_Jerel

First Post
Well - first off, the sage indicated that you CAN teleport dead bodies as if they were objects - otherwise contingency/teleport upon death would automatically fail.

Now - would you kindly tell me the difference between a dead creature and a dead body? - foregoing undead here of course. There isn't one.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Teleporting Demons

Grazzt said:
Someone even asked Sean Reynolds about teleporting dead creatures and the answer was no. A dead creature cannot be teleported because it is not an object either.

Yes, he did say that, and now he's no longer employed by WotC. Strange. ;) Just kidding.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Magus_Jerel said:
Well - first off, the sage indicated that you CAN teleport dead bodies as if they were objects - otherwise contingency/teleport upon death would automatically fail.

Right- but contingency/teleport upon death is the result of a spell. Demons teleport through a spell-like ability which states "self plus 50 pounds of objects only."

Anyway- I just talked to Sean and it wasnt him that said that. Hmmm..I recall someone from WotC saying it but oh well... Sean said he didn't really see an issue with it. And if the sage pretty much said the same thing.....

I stand corrected (at least on the teleporting dead creatures issue). :) My apologies to the chef. :D

Last edited:

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
Old Thread from history, but I'm curious to know what people think about this? My problem with the Teleport w/50 pounds of gear is that some creatures will not be able to pack weapons around with them anywhere (or armor, or miscellaneous items). This punishes the Marilith in particular (of course they deal out a great deal of punishment themselves).

So, what do you all think of the Demon teleporting weight limit?

Remove ads