D&D 5E Tell me about your Adventures in Middle-Earth experiences, please

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
The campaigns/adventures as written rely a lot on Unwinnable fights/saved by Deus Ex Machina tropes. While I dont mind it and my players love those epic moments, its good to keep and mind that a group that is used to be able to engage every fight with a distinct possibility of victory will be confused in some chapters.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I was a little underwhelmed by AiME myself.
As others have stated, it's very low combat. But the One Ring does that style already. I think I would have preferred the 5e version to be more like the movies and leaving the book-heavy game to be The One Ring to allow more styles of play and more ways of engaging in Tolkien's world.
5e has a very combat heavy chassis, and a lot of classes don't get much in the way of features apart from kicking ass. You really need an aware group that is okay with that style of game, or they're going to pick a fight and be disappointed by the result.

I actually prefer that AiME adds a little more too combat because there are fewer combats than in a 5e game.

Still I've had 2-3 combats per session in AiME which is actually my preferred sweet spot.

The campaigns/adventures as written rely a lot on Unwinnable fights/saved by Deus Ex Machina tropes. While I dont mind it and my players love those epic moments, its good to keep and mind that a group that is used to be able to engage every fight with a distinct possibility of victory will be confused in some chapters.

Very true.

It's meant to emulate Tolkien after all who was all about a darkening world with glimmers of hope and "eucatastrophes".

I feel that in AiME (and TOR) you are not a hero for winning the fight, but a hero for choosing to fight even when all hope seems lost.

Tales and Chronicles

I actually prefer that AiME adds a little more too combat because there are fewer combats than in a 5e game.

Still I've had 2-3 combats per session in AiME which is actually my preferred sweet spot.

Very true.

It's meant to emulate Tolkien after all who was all about a darkening world with glimmers of hope and "eucatastrophes".

I feel that in AiME (and TOR) you are not a hero for winning the fight, but a hero for choosing to fight even when all hope seems lost.

Exact. I like this feel. I think players feel more heroic when they dont resort to violence as their go-to in every situations. OTOH, I know some of my players at the table will end up in tears and some will call BS when faced with such odds. Its really a matter of assumptions and having a good Session 0 before play.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Exact. I like this feel. I think players feel more heroic when they dont resort to violence as their go-to in every situations. OTOH, I know some of my players at the table will end up in tears and some will call BS when faced with such odds. Its really a matter of assumptions and having a good Session 0 before play.

The biggest adjustment for my players was not effing with the townsfolk. That will rack you up some shadow points.

It has been cool to see encounters that favor stealth over combat like the spiders in Don't Leave the Path. My players had great roles and pulled it off flawlessly, but if you screw it up it becomes VERY difficult really fast.

Or combats where they just have to do enough damage to an unbeatable foe to scare them off like the Thing in the Well in the same adventure. Or where it seems overwhelming but you just have to kill the BBEG like the Battle at the Ringfort.

But my players' favorite by far was feasting, smoking, and riddling with the dwarves in Eaves of Mirkwood.

So far I think the game has got a nice variety of encounters for something that is mechanically quite simple when compared with 5e.

Last edited:

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Finding this thread really useful!

I've been reading through PDFs of the two core AiME books, and I really like what they've done. I'm tempted to buy the physical books because the art and design are so good - they'd be lovely books to hold and use. I actually had the slipcase edition at one point, but sold it (still shrink-wrapped!) for much-needed money at the time.

I've been running 5E for a year and a half now, and would like to get the PCs to 20th level before wrapping up. After that, my main idea right now for what to run after that is AiME, but of course I want to make things difficult for myself and set it around the death of Isildur. It's just that I started watching the FOTR movie and during that opening sequence thought "now wait a minute, what if...".

I know I'd have to whip new cultures with the existing ones as models, likewise with virtues, etc. But I've run Hobbit/LOTR-era games before and don't want to go there again. The Last Alliance era is removed enough to really be it's own thing, but still has that familiarity from the movies. And it would still be "D&D" mechanically, so I'm not likely to lose any players - they're a good bunch, but I know that something too different will probably lose me some players.

I imagine the PCs being part of Isildur's retinue or what have you - or after the battle and the death of their own lords they join up with Isildur's forces. I would probably start the game a couple-few years before the big battle. They prove themselves there and wind up being a useful team for him. They'd have to deal with Isildur's increasing obsession with the ring. They are with him at the Gladden Fields when Isildur is slain.

I want to play with some what-ifs: how much of Sauron does Isildur cut off? Does Isildur die on his way back to Arnor?

Schmoe

Adventurer
This thread has convinced me that I need to buy the AiME rules. Thanks for the awesome, evocative descriptions of gameplay. I love the concept of concretely different phases of an adventure such as Journey, Fellowship, etc.

Lancelot

Adventurer
But how does that style work for players in AIME? If there is only one combat, say, per session, what are the characters doing with their time?

Here's my experience...

Firstly, in a 4-hour session, my group usually does about 2-3 combat encounters with AiME. One of these is usually something fairly trivial, which may drain some of their resources but probably isn't going to be a threat. The other 1-2 encounters are likely to be more meaty. As noted above, it's possible that some of these combats are intentionally unwinnable - but it's possible the party don't initially know that.

So, what are they doing in the 60% of their time when they're not fighting?

1) Audience Phase. The Audience phase is more structured than D&D. In the official modules, there's usually a half-page explaining the NPC's motivations, and the conversational gambits that the party might take that adjust the final roll, and then a table of rewards based on success. To give an example, the party meets with Bob the Dwarf. Their first decision is "who will do the introduction"? This is a skill check based on cultural affinity. Maybe not a good idea to get the elf PC to say hello, because dwarves are a bit negative towards elves. The Introduction sets the initial DC. Then, what do the players actually say? Do they appeal to Bob's greed (+2), show respect for dwarven culture (+1), appeal to his sense of charity (-1), or mention that they've recently snuck inside a dwarven tomb (-2)? Then there's the final check. Which skill will the party use? Traditions, Persuasions, Riddles? Based on the outcome, all sorts of things could happen. Fail, and Bob might tell them to shove off. Succeed, and he might give them some info. Succeed by 3-4 points, and he'll offer them a reward. Succeed by 5+, and he might accompany them. This all sounds complex, but it's clearly laid out in the modules. It makes the key NPC interactions a lot more meaty. I've seen audiences going 15+ minutes (in real time), rather than just "I talk to the dude, and get a Persuasion roll of 15".... in part, because so much hinges on a successful outcome.

2) Journey Phase. This is a really meaty bit of the adventure. You pick everyone's role (Hunter, Lookout, Scout, Guide). You roll for the departure, which has flavour text and mechanical results. Then for events. Then for the arrival. The base rules contain copious descriptions of every event, which are like mini-encounters. However, most supplements have additional events flavoured to the specific module. Wilderland Adventures (for example) is a collection of 6-7 linked modules, but it saves a dozen pages at the back of the book for customizing the random journey events to each of the modules. Events usually aren't combats, but there are still decisions to be made. They have a lot of flavour for the GM to read out, then the PCs are usually either interacting with NPCs, making decisions on how to deal with the event, then rolling skill checks. The Journey phase could take up to an hour of play if there are, say, 3 events to resolve.

3) The Adventuring Phase. Just because the system is combat-light and dungeon-light, doesn't mean there isn't a ton of detail. Rescuing a missing person from a goblin lair? There's still a 15-room map of the lair with descriptions, but it's just not the D&D method of scattering monsters through all the rooms with trapped chests. It'll still take time to explore, but all the goblins are centralized in the feast hall and the party's challenge is: how do we get the prisoner out from underneath their noses? Maybe we use disguises, or challenge the leader to a riddle-contest, or do a shock-and-awe attack then run for our lives. For most major encounters, the modules include a lot of detail on possible gambits to resolve withou combat, including suggested skill checks and options.

4) The Fellowship Phase. There are real decisions to be made here as well. This is your Downtime (in D&D terms), but it has much more mechanical benefit. If you only get one choice after each adventure, how does your PC spend it? Shopping for a particularly fine sword in the markets of Laketown, exploring for healing herbs in the marshes, opening up a new Sanctuary (allowing long rests and other options), trying to remove some of your accumulated Shadow points...? The choices start easy, but get tougher over time as more options become available.

All told, there's plenty of mechanical meat in the published adventures to keep the players active. It's not a case of the module assuming that your group are just "roleplaying" in between the fights (...although more power to you if they are). They have a bunch of "gaming" decisions to make, more so than normal D&D, and these impact things such as their reward, their exhaustion levels, their Shadow points, their Virtue and equipment gains, and their ability to avoid dangerous fights.

And this is the fourth mega-post I've made on the game, and I'm super-conscious that I'm starting to sound like a shill. So, some attempt at counter-balance.

Firstly, I got into the game late. I've never played The One Ring (which is the game that AiME is based on). I really didn't know what it was all about, took a chance on the rules, and was very impressed by it all. Primarily because it's *different* to 5e. It is NOT better, in my opinion. Just different. I'll be going back to 5e after playing a full AiME campaign, because I thoroughly enjoy D&D. And then maybe we'll return to AiME again periodically in the future.

Secondly, my love of the game isn't entirely shared by my players. Most of my guys are super-reluctant to play anything other than traditional D&D with the multi-classing and the spells (oh, by the way: no multi-classing in AiME!). It took some pressure from me to get them to give it a go. They're enjoying it, but primarily as a change rather than a fix. None of us see 5e D&D as "broken"... and AiME is not going to appeal to all groups. As I've mentioned previously, you need a strong "social contract" with your players that they're going to be engaging with a system that has very little magic, sometimes-unwinnable combats, and an emphasis on skill checks, negotiation, and a long-term planning. Also, while it lacks an alignment system, you'll need to play like heroes to avoid punishing Shadow penalties. And, also, be prepared for some real downer endings to some of the adventures. :)

Lancelot

Adventurer
Actually, one final comment for anyone who is planning to get into AiME. I was initially unsure what everything was, in terms of released books. Here's how it works...

The Players Guide is the PH, and the Loremaster's Guide is a combination DMG and (abbreviated) Monster Manual. You need both of these.

I'd say the next-most important purchase (if you're new to the setting) is Wilderland Adventures. This is a 6-7 module Adventure Path, running up to about 7th level. Gives you a good feel for how a campaign runs, and how a module should "feel".

Eaves of Mirkwood is a good intro module (along with GM screen), but it's pretty brief. We're talking a single-session 1st level module. Nice, but as a very experienced 5e DM, I didn't find it essential.

Mirkwood Campaign is, basically, a skeleton structure on how to extend the 1st-7th level AP of Wilderland Adventures into a 30-year, up-to-15th-level campaign. It's not complete modules (due to space limitations), but it gives you 25-30 outlines for adventures that you can flesh out. These outlines include mechanical details: the stats for key NPCs or monsters, skill checks, etc. It's extremely good, although it does draw on some material from...

...the Rhovanion Region Guide. This is your gazzeteer for the setting; your Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, if you will. My advice is that if you're only planning to run a "short" campaign (10-or-so sessions; up to 7th level), you only need Wilderland Adventures. But if you want to go deep into the setting and run a "long" campaign, you want both the Mirkwood Campaign and the Rhovanion Region Guide.

There's a map pack called the Road Goes Ever On which has a few optional rules, but this is non-essential and nice-to-have. Purchase if you're a completionist. There are good maps already available in the other books above.

Finally, Cubicle 7 is starting to release the hardback manuals for regions west of the Misty Mountains: Rivendell, Bree, Shire, etc. I think this is an entirely different campaign to the Mirkwood campaign, and I personally don't know a lot about it yet. I know that it's the AiME version of material released for TOR (The One Ring), but I've never played that game. Beside, the already-released Mirkwood stuff above will keep my group going for many months.

Tales and Chronicles

A question for those that use the rules and campaign: do you think the Wilderland Adventures and/or Mirkwood campaign could be converted to regular FR? If so, would you rather set it in:
A) Silver Marches, with Silverymoon as Laketown substitute or,
B) The Dalelands with Arabel-as-Laketown?

I have a table with mostly new players who are not big fans of Tolkien-esque fantasy and this thread made me think that they would probably love those adventures, but I'm not sure if they would like playing in Middle-Earth (maybe, I dont know for sure, they dont care for magic most of the time)

Remove ads