• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about your D&D group

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
I have two groups:

Group 1:
Five players total.

How long has your group been playing together? M3 and I have played together for about 16 years. I've played with the others for 9 years. The group as a whole has been together for about 5. Note 1, 2, and 4 played together before that as well.

What are the ages, genders, and professions of the people in your group?
All male.
M1: 37, Sheriff's Dispatcher
M2: 32, Civil Engineer
M3: 26, Computer Tech
M4: 36ish, Project Manager
Me: 27, Sheriff's Civil division.

What edition are you playing?
4E, 3.5, and Pathfinder. Trying them all to see what we like the best.

Group 2:
also 5 males
M1: 27, Jail shift supervisor
M2: 26, High School football coach
M3: 26, Engineer for a car company
M4: 24, Cust service
Me: 27, Sheriff's Civil Division

This group has played together for about 3 months. Prior to that, M1, M2, and I have played together for about 12 years on and off. Playing 4E right now only.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
How long has your group been playing together?

Some ages and occupations are educated guesses. Bracketed numbers indicate same person is in other noted groups

Group 1: (together in this form about 6 months)
47 - M - Retail management (2,3)*
45 - M - Systems analyst*
46 - F - Therapist (3)*
24 - M - Retail sales (2)
21 - M - Retail sales (2)

Group 2: (together about 3 months) subset of group 1 except add
28 - M - computer technician (3)

Group 3: (together in this form about 18 months) subset of 1 and 2 except add:
33 - F - Group home caregiver
30 - M - Retail sales
12 - F - school pupil
48 - M - Computer programmer*

* - these 4 as a core group have been gaming together since about 1981-2.

In case it matters, I DM groups 1 and 2, and play in group 3.

We call the system "Victoria Rules D+D"; it's 1e with 25 years of modifications.

In our greater crew there's about 8-10 others, some of whom are currently playing/running 3.5e.

Lanefan

S'mon

Legend

I've been running a game at the London D&D MeetUp since July 2008, so 3 months. The D&D MeetUp club itself is about 2.5 years old.

Group membership varies a bit each week, but last week we had:
Male 35 year old Law Lecturer GM - me.
8 players: 6 male, 2 female. Ages all late teen/20s & 30s I think, including several University students.
Edit: Group size has varied from 4 players, all male or 3m 1f, to 8 players, 6m 2f (last 2 sessions - with 1f being a casual player brought by male friend/boyfriend).
I'm taking as many players as possible so people don't miss playing, capping size at 8 players but 6 would be easier to GM.

I'm running a 3.5e D&D campaign. Lots of demand for 3.5e DMs from players who don't want to switch to 4e, as well as players who'll play either edition.

Last edited:

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Tell me:

Thanks

1. Two months
2. I have seven players, aged between 21 & 35 or so (don't know their exact ages), and professions include graphic designer, customer services representative, signed recording artist. 6 male, 1 female.
3. 4e.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I've been with the group a couple of months now but they have been together for over ten years.

Low, mid to late thirties, all male, two IT professionals.

4e.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I have two groups:

Group 1
- We've been playing for around twenty years. D&D weekends are the basic way in which we stay in touch.
- Several males at 35, one female at 29; professions include software engineer, dentist, teacher, and well, something to do with measuring very small things very accurately in laboratories. That guy's the Chandler Bing of our group... no-one quite gets what he does. :)
- 3.5E Dragonlance and Ravenloft, but I will be DM'ing their first 4E session in a couple of weeks.

Group 2
- This is a brand new 4E group which has been going for a few months.
- Ages range from late 20's to mid 30's, 3 males and 1 female; professions include software engineer, field archaeologist, teacher, and production planner.
- 4E home-brew drawing heavily from the published Wizards adventures and on-line sources.

Treebore

First Post
Tell me:

How long has your group been playing together? One for 8 years, another for almost 2 years, two other groups are less then 4 months old. Another group is about a year old.

Group 1 (8 years) is my family. Wife, daughter, 2 sons.

Group 2 (Almost 2 years): All males, ages 24 to 34, lawyers, teacher, and my youngest son is in it too.

Group 3: Don't really know, definitely all men. I would guess ages 22 to 40. Jobs? I remember lawyer being mentioned, IT, some kind of customer service.

Group 4: 2 women, 4 guys. Lawyer, University Student going for Master in Education, Another is a second year college student, and I believe the other is house wife, wife of the lawyer, who is also the DM. I don't remember what the other guy does.

Group 5 (almost a year old): All but one is male. I don't know all the professions. Lawyer, Some type of computer job, but not IT. 2 I do not know/remember, another is a female, and college student (same as above), the last two are High School Students.

My current profession is micro farmer (basically we do enough to provide for ourselves, not much for sale to others) and part time college student.

Group 1 to 3 play Castles and Crusades.

Group 4 plays 4E. Will be ending soon. We are not excited enough by 4E to keep playing past the Shadowfell adventure.

Group 5 formed specifically to play anything and everything. So we have played Twilight 2000, Gamma World, Go for your Gun, Traveller, L5R 3E, Shadowrun 4E, and probably a couple of others I am forgetting, with more to come. Such as Runequest, Cthulthu (sp?), and Heavy Gear. We spend about 6 weeks with each system, and then move on to another one.

Hope that helps.

I am doing little impromptu questionnaire cross posted from here and could use your help. :D

Tell me:

With me as a member since 2001, but some members of the group have been playing together far longer then that (and I don't even know how long). The composition changes, but since 2001, there are 4 "core members".

I actually don't know all the ages, so I must guess. ;)
1) 27, Male, Software Developer (more application)
2) ~35, Male, Software Developer (more web/administration)
3) ~35, Male, Civil Servent/Clerk at the Bundeswehr
4) ~30, Male, Tech Support (Telecommunication)
5) ~30, Male, Kitchen Worker (former teaching student)

Former members:
6) ~30, Male, Engineer
7) ~26, Male, Software Developer
8) ~35, Male, Unknown, something in the area of engineering/software/business

We switched our D&D games entirely to D&D 4E.
But we also play other games (Torg, Warhammer, Shadowrun, Black Eye/Das Schwarze Auge and others) occasionally.

No problem. (I wonder how you're planning to use this information. ;) )

EDIT: Despite the fact that we have had 3 software developers, none of us work at the same corporation, and we didn't knew each other from that context. I wouldn't know any of the current members in my group if I didn't play RPGs!

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
5 groups! I assume at least some of them are online or PBM?

On line using SKYPE or Ventrilo and Maptools on Tuesday and Thursdays, 6 to 9 PM PST, Sunday 5 to 8 PM PST, and Friday 6 to 9 PM PST. The family game is usually on Saturday. At our dinner table.

I don't do PBP or PBM, always found it too slow moving and boring. I have done Chats, and would do them again if interested in the game.

The Friday game is the 4E game, which will be ending soon, and no game is to replace it, so I'll be back to gaming Sat, Sun, Tues, and Thurs.

The Sunday game is actually an alternating Sunday of two different games and groups, about half of which play with me in other games, and the other half I only know they are male, don't know their ages, and know the job of only one, so I didn't list the group before. So I actually play in 6 different games right now, 4 of them being C&C. I only run the Home Game, the Tuesday Game, and I am currently running SR 4E for the Thursday group.

Its amazing how many games I can plan for and be in when I don't have to account for traveling times/issues.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads