Telling Blow (from PHB II)

IcyCool

First Post
Blightersbane said:
A keen Rapier + 10th level rogue + Telling Blow = WOW, not "Oh my deity!" just WOW. Over all a very potent combination a roll of 15-20 would be critical, that's 25% of attacks.

15-20 is 30%. But otherwise, yeah.

moritheil

First Post
PaulKemp said:
Thanks, all.

Here's a more interesting question: Is a spellthief with Telling Blow able to "sacrifice" the sneak attack dice that would otherwise result from a critical hit in order to steal a spell from the target spell, as he can with ordinary sneak attack dice damage?

I'm inclined to allow it, but I'm wondering if it's been addressed anywhere.

I don't have the rules text, but I suspect it revolves around whether or not those extra damage dice happen to be identical to SA, or if there truly is a sneak attack taking place.

Wavestone

Explorer
15-20 are six numbers on the die: 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20.

6 out of 20 = 0.3 --> 30%

I have fallen in that trap too, thinking 20-15 = 5 numbers.. :)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
As the others have said: Either you sneak attack or you don't. It can still be quite nice with a keen crit-happy weapon, like a kukri or rapier.

PaulKemp said:
Just got the PHB II.

I just saw who's asking here! :)

Can we expect a certain chosen of Mask to get a keen rapier now, soon? ;)

As for telling spellthieves: Yes, I'm pretty sure it works. Unless I'm mistaken, Telling Blow just lets you sneak attack with a crit. Spellthievery is powered by sneak attack dice. Should be perfectly legit. And even if Telling Blow did say something like "you do damage as if this were a sneak attack", which I don't believe, it would be perfectly fair to extend the spellthief's ability to this.

Remove ads