• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Telling Blow (from PHB II)

IcyCool

First Post
Blightersbane said:
A keen Rapier + 10th level rogue + Telling Blow = WOW, not "Oh my deity!" just WOW. Over all a very potent combination a roll of 15-20 would be critical, that's 25% of attacks.

15-20 is 30%. But otherwise, yeah.

moritheil

First Post
PaulKemp said:
Thanks, all.

Here's a more interesting question: Is a spellthief with Telling Blow able to "sacrifice" the sneak attack dice that would otherwise result from a critical hit in order to steal a spell from the target spell, as he can with ordinary sneak attack dice damage?

I'm inclined to allow it, but I'm wondering if it's been addressed anywhere.

I don't have the rules text, but I suspect it revolves around whether or not those extra damage dice happen to be identical to SA, or if there truly is a sneak attack taking place.

Wavestone

Explorer
15-20 are six numbers on the die: 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20.

6 out of 20 = 0.3 --> 30%

I have fallen in that trap too, thinking 20-15 = 5 numbers.. :)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
As the others have said: Either you sneak attack or you don't. It can still be quite nice with a keen crit-happy weapon, like a kukri or rapier.

PaulKemp said:
Just got the PHB II.

I just saw who's asking here! :)

Can we expect a certain chosen of Mask to get a keen rapier now, soon? ;)

As for telling spellthieves: Yes, I'm pretty sure it works. Unless I'm mistaken, Telling Blow just lets you sneak attack with a crit. Spellthievery is powered by sneak attack dice. Should be perfectly legit. And even if Telling Blow did say something like "you do damage as if this were a sneak attack", which I don't believe, it would be perfectly fair to extend the spellthief's ability to this.

Remove ads