Temp. Ability Increases = Permanent Character Increases?

Marius

First Post
kreynolds said:

Honestly, I get a whole lot of appreciation from my players, so I can't really identify with this.

I was just being facetious, of course its a fun game, and the players should appreciate what you're doing, but when you're constantly nitpicking over rules, especially at higher levels, I can see how the temptation would be there to be a hardass

Yeah. :D

All right, just checkin ;)

Dr. Zoom

First Post
IceBear said:
Edit - Found a quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your character's Intelligence modifier affects the number of skill points he or she gets at each level ... Likewise, wearing a headband of intellect for a short time doesn't grant him or her extra skill points. Only a change in Intelligence that was constant (or very nearly constant) over the previous level affects how many skill points were acquired during that level.

-- Players Handbook, page 145
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IceBear
Do you think the revised books will fix the example on page 10 in the PH that contradicts this, where Mialee can raise her Int at level 4 and gain the extra skill point at that level, too?

Marius

First Post
Dr. Zoom said:

Do you think the revised books will fix the example on page 10 in the PH that contradicts this, where Mialee can raise her Int at level 4 and gain the extra skill point at that level, too?

I don't think that contradicts it neccessarily, its not a temporary increase that you're trying to apply. Your DM could rule that the new skill points wouldnt come until next level, but I don't think this would fall under that category at all. Its the difference between quaffing a potion, and choosing one of your 4 extra ability points for your character. One is incredibly munchkiny, and the other is built into the game. Its clear that rule was written to prevent the potion scenario, not the skill point increase. Just like when you get a con point at level 4, you get the hit point increase immediately.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Marius said:

I don't think that contradicts it neccessarily, its not a temporary increase that you're trying to apply. Your DM could rule that the new skill points wouldnt come until next level, but I don't think this would fall under that category at all. Its the difference between quaffing a potion, and choosing one of your 4 extra ability points for your character. One is incredibly munchkiny, and the other is built into the game. Its clear that rule was written to prevent the potion scenario, not the skill point increase. Just like when you get a con point at level 4, you get the hit point increase immediately.

Just my two cents.
You must have misread page 145, which says you use the Int score you had over the previous level for skill points. The increase you get every 4 levels will affect skill points, but you do not get that increase until you level up again. Page 10 in the PH is simply not correct when compared to page 145. You cannot compare Con to Int, because Con changes are retroactive, but Int changes are not.

Marius

First Post
Dr. Zoom said:

You must have misread page 145, which says you use the Int score you had over the previous level for skill points. The increase you get every 4 levels will affect skill points, but you do not get that increase until you level up again. Page 10 in the PH is simply not correct when compared to page 145. You cannot compare Con to Int, because Con changes are retroactive, but Int changes are not.

Again, what I was talking about had more to do with the spirit of levelling, as opposed to the letter of the rules. I leave that call up to the DM.

IceBear

Explorer
Wasn't there an offical clarification on how things are done when you level? Just curious because if you're supposed to pick your skills BEFORE you increase your ability score then that would make the example even more wrong.

IceBear

Marius

First Post
IceBear said:
Wasn't there an offical clarification on how things are done when you level? Just curious because if you're supposed to pick your skills BEFORE you increase your ability score then that would make the example even more wrong.

IceBear

I don't know, was there?

Remove ads