• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tempest Fighter makes me happy.

Selllout23

First Post
If You Choose the Double Sword which is a Heavy Blade, Light Blade, 2H Weapon, Off-Hand and +1 AC Weapon. You really get the best of all 3 builds for just the cost of 1 feat. If your serious about the Tempest Fighter you almost have to pick this weapon. I wont even talk about how awsome this build is with Rogue Multi-classing

You do realize the reason for this option (i.e. tempest fighter) is called Artemis Entreri, don't you?
Spot on friend, Spot On!!!!

Last edited:

That One Guy

First Post
If You Choose the Double Sword which is a Heavy Blade, Light Blade, 2H Weapon, Off-Hand and +1 AC Weapon. You really get the best of all 3 builds for just the cost of 1 feat. If your serious about the Tempest Fighter you almost have to pick this weapon. I wont even talk about how awsome this build is with Rogue Multi-classing

Spot on friend, Spot On!!!!
I believe the Off-Hand property only is used with the shortsword side. Seeing as I always roll low on damage, I think I'll just stick with a pair of short swords. And yeah, MCing rogue from tempest is fantastic.

I've never read the FR books.

Bond James Bond

First Post
"
At the moment, anyone who takes a 2H weapon fighter over a 1H weapon fighter as the sole defender in the group, is doing the group a disservice. The tiny amount of extra damage he dishes out is off-set by the resources he's going to eat up being kept up because of his lower AC and Reflex defences.

I respectfully disagree.

"Tanking" in D&D doesnt work like in the average MMO, where the Tank has to have the highest AC to function properly.

In Fact, at a certain point, maxing your defenses as the "tank" can be quite bad for your party. The reason is that - unlike in an MMO - even with fighter marks an the like, the enemy still in general can choose freely who he want`s to attack. He just has to be willing to live with the consequences if he is going to ignore the tank (e.g. getting a -2 penalty on attacks and an extra attack of the fighter)

Now, if the fighter has a very high ac and little damage output like you suggest, why shouldn`t the enemy try ignore him an go directly for the striker or healer? Even with -2 on his attacks, he`ll still be hitting the striker more often than the high ac tank. And the little extra damage from the fighters extra attacks doesn`t offset the advantage of getting rid of the striker/healer sooner (or letting the party waste ressources to save them).

That said, I`d say the "ideal" Tank in most situations should have defenses about on the same level as the party average, he shoud deal decent damage and have lot`ts of hp and healing surges in order to be able to get healed very efficiently. Being able to selfheal helps as well.

p.s. Just to make it clear, I don`t think that anyone should "force" another player into a certain role. Luckily, this isnt a MMO, where encounters are fixed, and certain playstyles are "required" by the game. As a DM, I am always planning my encounters according to my gaming groups composition.

Cactot

First Post
I respectfully disagree.

"Tanking" in D&D doesnt work like in the average MMO, where the Tank has to have the highest AC to function properly.

In Fact, at a certain point, maxing your defenses as the "tank" can be quite bad for your party. The reason is that - unlike in an MMO - even with fighter marks an the like, the enemy still in general can choose freely who he want`s to attack. He just has to be willing to live with the consequences if he is going to ignore the tank (e.g. getting a -2 penalty on attacks and an extra attack of the fighter)

Now, if the fighter has a very high ac and little damage output like you suggest, why shouldn`t the enemy try ignore him an go directly for the striker or healer? Even with -2 on his attacks, he`ll still be hitting the striker more often than the high ac tank. And the little extra damage from the fighters extra attacks doesn`t offset the advantage of getting rid of the striker/healer sooner (or letting the party waste ressources to save them).

That said, I`d say the "ideal" Tank in most situations should have defenses about on the same level as the party average, he shoud deal decent damage and have lot`ts of hp and healing surges in order to be able to get healed very efficiently. Being able to selfheal helps as well.

p.s. Just to make it clear, I don`t think that anyone should "force" another player into a certain role. Luckily, this isnt a MMO, where encounters are fixed, and certain playstyles are "required" by the game. As a DM, I am always planning my encounters according to my gaming groups composition.

I was rather confused by his response as well, at first i thought he was mistakenly referring to two weapon fighting as 2HF. The 1h->2h damage difference is pretty significant (especially when with your stance you do 1(w) to every foe in range), and in addition to that, i would say that scale holds itself pretty well against plate. So I would seriously question your assertion that both shields and plate armor are necessary for each fighter. The lack of need for uber AC becomes more pronounced if you have a more flexible group makeup.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads