D&D 5E Temple of Elemental Evil is the next Original Adventures Reincarnated

Goodman Games has announced the next in its line of Original Adventures Reincarnated - -and it's The Temple of Elemental Evil, in late 2020 or early 2021. "Like all of the Original Adventures Reincarnated line, this release will contain both the original material scanned in and cleaned up to present it as it originally appeared, along with a full, new 5E translation in the second half of...

Goodman Games has announced the next in its line of Original Adventures Reincarnated - -and it's The Temple of Elemental Evil, in late 2020 or early 2021.

OAR6_RoughCoverA_retouched_v2-1.jpg

"Like all of the Original Adventures Reincarnated line, this release will contain both the original material scanned in and cleaned up to present it as it originally appeared, along with a full, new 5E translation in the second half of the book. The new material is being designed by a creative team led by Chris Doyle with contributions from Rick Maffei and others, all of whom are seasoned veterans of Dungeons and Dragons across its many incarnations.

Unlike the previous five volumes in the OAR line, the sheer size and scope of this module requires something new: OAR #6: The Temple of Elemental Evil will be released as a two-volume hardcover slipcase edition. The two volumes will also contain expert commentary about the original modules and their history."

Here's the back cover text:

EVIL BORN ANEW

The Village of Hommlet thrives again. Years ago, this quaint village nearly fell prey to a great, neighboring evil. The nearby Temple of Elemental Evil, a grand edifice of wickedness, was defeated after a great battle and thrown into ruin forever … or was it? Bandits have started to ride the roads again, and there are other ominous signs afoot. It is whispered that the demonic evil at the heart of the Temple was not truly conquered but merely imprisoned. Even now, agents of evil, malevolent beasts, and far worse creatures are conspiring to return the Temple to power and enslave the surrounding lands. Hommlet and the neighboring ruins may hold clues, but not everyone is to be trusted. Surely danger lies hidden in this idyllic region.

Sharpen your swords and axes. Purchase your iron rations and tinderboxes. And don’t forget at least one 10-foot pole. Great adventure awaits those that dare confront the Temple of Elemental Evil!

This book collection is an homage to the origins of an adventure that began decades ago with T1: The Village of Hommlet and T1-4: The Temple of Elemental Evil. Herein you will find high-quality scans from multiple printings of the original first edition adventure modules, plus commentary by gaming legends. Full fifth edition conversions of both adventure books are included, as well as brand new adventure material that adds new wilderness encounters, expands the Village of Nulb, fully details the evil Elemental Nodes, and provides fifth edition updates of many original magic items, monsters, and spells. This is a fully playable mega-dungeon and mini-campaign—many hours of classic-style adventure await you!​

Not as original as you would think. Look up A Paladin in Hell.

They literally have nothing in common, outside of the very general plot of "adventurers need to rescue innocents trapped in the Hells". Not even the setting - when it comes to their respective parts in the Nine Hells, Decent to Avernus takes place in arid wasteland Avernus, while A Paladin in Hell takes place in ice-and-frigid-oceans Stygia.

teitan

Legend
WotC did namecheck that in regards to Decent into Avernus, but yeah, super distant relation.

Well you know all the 5e adventures are just remakes of old 1e stuff right? All of it! Nothing original. my eyes are rolling so hard that they are marbles now. Just shows how much these people actually read of the old stuff that they can post those comments with straight faces.

Schmoe

Adventurer
With some hinting by me and their own growing impatience, the party eventually water-walked to the middle part. I don't know if they did a third of the outer mines.

In any case, this news is very exciting. (And worthy of my first post on these boards in ages.)

I'm usually on the DM side of the screen, and T1-4 is the only module/adventure I've ever completed as a player. It was a blast.

I'm actually about to start the Return to ... in my 3.5 group. The moathouse looks fantastic. The mines look grindy (and I've heard as much from several reports). Any advice, or any place I can go for advice, on how to make the mines work better? I've found it hard to get good advice on 20 year old adventures :)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The old school impulse to stock every room in a complex doesn't mean any of it is important or necessary. Intelligent dungeon denizens know what places are important, and so there should likely be more foot traffic to important areas, more lit torches, and general maintenance along those routes.

If players can't pick that up on their own (aided by DM descriptions, of course), the player characters should be able to question captives about what's going on in the complex and where there objectives are. Smart players should be able to make most of an old school (or OSR) dungeon optional that way.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I'm usually on the DM side of the screen, and T1-4 is the only module/adventure I've ever completed as a player. It was a blast.

I'm actually about to start the Return to ... in my 3.5 group. The moathouse looks fantastic. The mines look grindy (and I've heard as much from several reports). Any advice, or any place I can go for advice, on how to make the mines work better? I've found it hard to get good advice on 20 year old adventures :)

There use to be all sorts of advice online...how to find it all these years latter I wonder.

Moathouse and Nulb are very good. One advantage of the scope of the mines is that it is very open and can be pretty PC driven. You do need to strongly hint that its not about "clearing", its about finding ways to move forward. Its best if most of the CRM are not used/explored, if that makes sense. Also, make sure you are generous enough with XP to resist that clearing urge and ensure confidence to advance.

Remove ads

Remove ads