Temporarily suppress immunity?

Barcode

First Post
Heya,

For plot purposes, I need to impose permanent negative levels on a character that is immune to energy drain. Anyone know of a way of doing that within the rules? I know that I can just hand-wave it, but I'd like to use an existing mechanic.

Thanks,

-B-

Murazor

First Post
I'd probably allow a Metamagic feat that increases the level by +1 to do half damage.
Currently, we have the Piercing Cold (Frostburn) and Searing Spell (Sandstorm) which ignore resistance and deal half damage through immunities. I don't see any problems in creating a metamagic feat similar to these that works on negative energy/death effects.

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
Barcode said:
Heya,

For plot purposes, I need to impose permanent negative levels on a character that is immune to energy drain. Anyone know of a way of doing that within the rules? I know that I can just hand-wave it, but I'd like to use an existing mechanic.

Have them carry around a holy/unholy/axiomatic/anarchic sword, as inappropriate. :D

glass.

Barcode

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
Out of curiousity: What plot is that?

OK, my (Bob Arco's) players, scram.

Start of campaign in Eberron. Characters were all created "five years ago" in Sharn, or arriving in Sharn looking for adventure. At the opening of the campaign, they are walking through Sharn feeling a bit disoriented. They come to realize they have scars where there were none that they remembered, tattoos, and other signs of aging and adventuring experience, about 5 years worth. An event brings them together, and they all realize that they have no recollection of the last five years, but have some shared experience and a multitude of enemies. They have to discover what happened to them and get their abilities back before their high-level enemies (that they just defeated) recover and discover that they are vulnerable.

Basics of the metaplot is that the final strike of a powerful enemy confused them, stole their memories and robbed them of several levels. There is a spell in BoVD that basically lets you rearrange a character's thoughts. That'll do for the memory bit. But what to do about the friggin 1st level Warforged with immunity to Energy Drain?

domino

First Post
Well, as this isn't you taking a character that gained level drain immunity, and you want to "steal" some levels from them, I'd just say that the magic was just that powerful, and DM fiat it.

noeuphoria

First Post
Does it have to be negative levels? You would say they damaged the warforge's internal mechanisms, or (better yet), they placed some sort of inhibitor device inside him. Then, when the characters recover the key, they could find out how to disarm that as well.

Remove ads