• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Temporarily suppress immunity?

Barcode

First Post
domino said:
Well, as this isn't you taking a character that gained level drain immunity, and you want to "steal" some levels from them, I'd just say that the magic was just that powerful, and DM fiat it.

True, I can do that, and will if I have to. But the enemy that did this to them once is only mostly dead, and will have the ability to do it to them again, later in the campaign, if they don't figure out how to combat it. I'd like to know what cool feat/spell to give it when it returns. Murazor's Metamagic Feat sounds like a good solution, with at least analogous game rule precedence. There is nothing that says the Warforged character had advanced as far as the other PC's, or that the others hadn't developed an immunity to energy drain through a device of some sort to explain how they all still end up at the same low level.

Infiniti2000

First Post
One key point is that with negative levels, they are not at a low level. For example, a 7th level wizard with one negative level is more powerful than a 6th level wizard. They are not identical. Likewise, a 10th level fighter with 9 negative levels is much more powerful than a 1st level fighter.

Some of what you are writing leads me to believe that you are starting the PCs out at 1st level with an explanation of 'negative levels' or some such, but that is certainly not the case. If you want the PCs to have vague memories of being, say, 15th level when they are in reality 1st (as long-term plot thingy), then just make them 1st. Do not use the negative level mechanic as it is a mistake.

As for a spell or something that reduces a character's level -- nothing exists. It would be at a minimum a major artifact and you should treat it as such. Also, make sure your players are on board with the existence of such a device. Many players (I daresay most) would be extremely pissed if their 15th level characters got reduced to 1st for real.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Want this? http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindwipe.htm

Either this or a modified version.

But it does look that you don't want negative levels. It sounds as if this is the start of the campaign. Just let them start at a lower level, and let them "discover" their powers by leveling up. This could be the explanation why they advance so damn fast (making more than one level a month, while others seem to need a year and more for one level).

This sounds like Knights of the Old Republic 2...

ThirdWizard

First Post
Perhaps the warforged character could not be one of the characters that was part of the origonal group and leveled down. He could be tied in some other way. Perhaps he actually houses the soul of a dead character that has some connection to the plot, or perhaps he was created by the BBEG to keep tabs on the PCs without even knowing it - a large part of his plot can be overcoming this control. I think this would lead to a more interesting scenario, personally. :)

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Here's a point where we need specifics.

Is the warforged immune to negative levels? Or his he merely immune to energy drain? If it's the latter, then no problem:

It's possible (as with the case for opposite-aligned weapons) to inflict negative levels without using energy drain.

I'd recommend a specific spell that is deliberately designed to wipe the mind of a living construct, and imposes negative levels on them.

dedicated

First Post
There was a spell in 3.0 that would let you do this,
it was a more powerful version of modify memory and allowed you to bestow negative levels by erasing the memories of class abilities " now you forget the neccesary procedure to prepare 4th level spells")

Nine Hands

Explorer
glass said:
Have them carry around a holy/unholy/axiomatic/anarchic sword, as inappropriate. :D

glass.

This sounds a little wierd but have the warforged enchanted as a weapon/armor that will give them negative levels due to their alignment. I think they can be enchanted, it makes sense (sorry I don't play Eberron)

Good idea Glass :)

You could also leave the warforged more powerful than the other PCs, but with the same memory gap. It might be worth it on an interaction level, how will everyone handle one of their number being more powerful. HE could be the bad guy, who also got zapped by his own device, mistakenly thinking that as a warforged he would be immune. He could also have a very heavy burden laid on his shoulders if he regains his memories first, he will need to protect every one else all the more. Some RP ideas, but I think mechanically, you'll have to rule 0. Don't worry about it. If its a good story, your players will forgive you.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Oh oh! He houses the BBEG's philactery!!

*cough*

Yeah yeah, drow lich iron golem blah blah blah, and the implausability of a lich allowing his philactery to go out and adventure with his arch enemies blah blah blah, but I still think it has merit so there. :p

Remove ads