Terminator Dark Fate Review (no spoilers)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I got it thought I would reply anyway.

I'll rephrase. If some pitched a Terminator movie at you where they killed John Connor would you invest in it?

ENworld publishing is worth something would you use that value to invest in that movie using your own money?

Or would you keep doing what you're doing or buy a new house or something?

Assume you're not an orange headed stable genius from the US.
If the previous three hadn’t soured audiences in the franchise, and this was the first new one since T2, totally. But this could be the best film ever made, and still people won’t go to see it because of the last three movies.

I got it thought I would reply anyway.
the whoosh was because you missed his point,which was a dig at your SW"..in the EU..." thing that you do time and time again. Or that's how I took it.
Here's the description of the first book by S.M. Stirling, it was published back in '01
Sarah Connor and her son, John, know the grim tomorrow that awaits their species if the Cyberdyne Corporation gets their Skynet system on-line. Targeted for annihilation because of their future destinies, the Connors have already survived two separate attempts on their lives by advanced Terminator killing machines. But enough T-800 detritus remains from their last life-and-death struggle to enable Cyberdyne to recover.

The nightmare is back on track. And the most fearsome and relentless cyborg weapon of all has been dispatched through time to ensure Skynet's victory: a machine so like its human prey that detection is virtually impossible.

Considered a dangerous terrorist by the U.S. government and hiding out in Paraguay, Sarah sees another T-800 similar to the cybernetic killer from whom she once narrowly escaped. But while his form and features will eventually be duplicated on many Terminator units, former counterterrorism operative Dieter von Rossbach is very much a man, irresistibly drawn to the puzzling, beautiful, deadly serious Sarah Connor and her brilliant teenage son. And once Sarah reveals her dark history and awakens him to the impending possible extermination of all human life, Dieter is drawn to her revolution as well.

But the machine masters of the near future have ensured that they will not be thwarted again. A new breed of enforcer, one designed to effortlessly infiltrate the ranks of the enemy, has been firmly entrenched in the uppermost level of Cyberdyne Corporation. With a vengeance-seeking FBI agent on a tight leash and the inexhaustible resources of Cyberdyne to support the hunt for the Connors and their allies, the 1-950 Infiltrator is relentless, programmed to pursue Skynet's goal until all targets are dead. But unlike its technological predecessors, the Infiltrator understands how humans think and feel...and she truly enjoys the blood and the chase.

Exploding out of the long shadows cast by Terminator 2: Judgment Day -- the cinematic action masterwork that rocked the world -- T2: Infiltrator marks a bold new beginning in the stunning apocalyptic epic that has already become a legend.

Zardnaar

Legend
If the previous three hadn’t soured audiences in the franchise, and this was the first new one since T2, totally. But this could be the best film ever made, and still people won’t go to see it because of the last three movies.

T3 didn't sour people that much it seems.

It's rated somewhat well and did decent box office.

Even the last one did better in China. Blaming Genysis would be a factor but Dark Fate flopped there as well.

I think they chose the wrong point of divergence from the timeline. T3 wasn't a reboot so probably should have gone from there.

It made 600 million adjusted for inflation.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
T3 didn't sour people that much it seems.

It's rated somewhat well and did decent box office.

Even the last one did better in China. Blaming Genysis would be a factor but Dark Fate flopped there as well.

I think they chose the wrong point of divergence from the timeline. T3 wasn't a reboot so probably should have gone from there.

It made 600 million adjusted for inflation.
People aren’t going to see it. They don’t know if it’s good or not. They’re not going because of the previous three. Franchise fatigue, with some crappy movies in there.

(I was always going to see it, but I must admit that your dislike for it encouraged me; I’m almost always diametrically opposite you in opinions in anything!)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I was a little disappointed by the score - not much Terminator music in there. The occasional hint of the drums, but that’s it. I missed that music — it’s very atmospheric and sets the mood well.

Zardnaar

Legend
People aren’t going to see it. They don’t know if it’s good or not. They’re not going because of the previous three. Franchise fatigue, with some crappy movies in there.

(I was always going to see it, but I must admit that your dislike for it encouraged me; I’m almost always diametrically opposite you in opinions in anything!)

I have a fairly high tolerance of bad Terminator movies. The only one I actively disike is Genesis.

Had they made this in 2003 it would have done better than it did. IDK if it would have done better than T3 and it's online scores are settling in T3 range on IMDb and Metacritic.

Trending well o. Rotton Tomatoes though.

Nebulous

Legend

I think you're right, if Dark Fate had come after T2 it wouldn't have done bad at the box office, it would have had droves of people coming to see Arnold take up the role again. And Sarah. But I think killing off John (so damn easily) sort of ruins the epic struggle he had in T2 staying alive. It's not a bad movie by any means. I imagine when it's released on Blue Ray and more people see it the movie will be better remembered in the future.

Nebulous

Legend
I was a little disappointed by the score - not much Terminator music in there. The occasional hint of the drums, but that’s it. I missed that music — it’s very atmospheric and sets the mood well.

There was a whiff of it when Arnold was about to put the glasses on but didn't. I kinda wished he had.

Zardnaar

Legend
Between Dark Fate, T3, Salvation and the TV show there's a good trilogy in there somewhere. In terms of concepts.

Dark Fate had better characters, T3 had better plot both had flawed execution.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases