Tessallated Armor (Arms and Equipment Guide)

Howdy all,

Questions about this armor. I know its 3.0, though I think it translates into 3.5 fairly well.

However, one question I have is that in the listing it is listed as Full Plate +2 though it is listed as being one size category lighter (i.e., medium armor). While never saying why is it considered one size category lighter because of a flexibility, I think it hints fairly well that it is considered lighter due to flexibility.

So, what if this armor was made of mithril? Do the "armor is considered one size lighter" abilities stack? My initial inclination is "No," however is this an official rule? If so, where it is?

Also, one other question is that what if the armor was instead made of adamantine? Is the DR 3/- since it is Heavy Armor or is it 2/- since it is considered light? This time I think it would be 3/-, but I'm just double checking.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

green slime

First Post
Tessellated armour is not an armour type, it is a specific magical armour (it took me a while to find it in the A&EG). Just as Demon Armour, or Celestial Armour from the DMG. Thus if you wish to extrapolate its effects onto some other form, or create it from some other substance, then you are entirely at the mercy of your DM.

What do you think is reasonable for the price?

green slime, thanks. I knew it was a specific type. Sorry if that didn't come across clearly.

As for the discretion of the DM, I am the DM, so that helps a lot.

I'm not too worried at the moment with the price, though I know I should be since it'll be coming up soon enough. Off hand, I'd probably put it (being full plate, +2 enchantment, and able to be donned and removed as (if I remember correctly) a standard action) at about 13,000gp. Thats just something off the top of my head, but I'd generally put that last little thing as a fairly nice ability to be able to suddenly perform any skills and hide your armor in a matter of about three seconds.

And then with the ability to be considered medium armor, I might actually just bump it up to +4 armor for a grand total of 16,000 just to make it even. Perhaps throw in a little something extra for some flavoring and since that 16,000gp might be just a little overpriced. Dunno about that.

Nonetheless, I'm not very crazy on the idea of having full plate mail being as supple and easy to move in as light armor. That just makes no sense to me and I do think it would be a little unbalancing. Nonetheless, an actual ruling would help me solidify my position.

Concerning the adamatine, that was just a curiosity on my part.

Remove ads