• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Test of High Sorcery

sledged

First Post
In the Dragonlance CS, on page 71, it says "once a wizard character completes the test, he automatically gains the Wizard of High Sorcery prestige class."

What exactly does this mean? Does this mean he immediately gains a level in Wizard of High Sorcery, even if he doesn't have the required XP to attain another level? Or is his class level in WoHS 0? (This precedent was set in BoED with the Risen Martyr PrC.) If his class level is 0, does he have to advance to level 1 in the PrC? What if the wizard doesn't meet the requirements for the PrC, but he still passes the test? Can he pass the test without meeting the other requirements for the PrC?

Thanee

First Post
I guess (don't have the DLCS) you have to meet the requirements (of course) and must have passed the test, before you can advance along that pass. If the test hasn't been passed, and you gain a level, you cannot enter the PrC but must look for something else, since levels cannot be delayed, so better make that test in time. :)

That test is integral to the Dragonlance magical order and at some point you have to face it (and it is pretty harsh AFAIK, very well able to kill the apprentice; it was where Raistlin got his bodily frailty and the weird "sandglass" eyes).

Bye
Thanee

sledged

First Post
Thanee said:
I guess (don't have the DLCS) you have to meet the requirements (of course) and must have passed the test, before you can advance along that pass. If the test hasn't been passed, and you gain a level, you cannot enter the PrC but must look for something else, since levels cannot be delayed, so better make that test in time. :)
That didn't address my question at all. Let's expand with a scenario:

A) Mr. Wizard (we'll call him Don Herbert) meets all the requirement for the WoHS PrC except (i) hasn't taken the test, and (ii) is not specialized in a school of magic.
C) Don also lacks the XP to advace a level.
B) Don takes the ToHS and passes, and thus gets to continue to live.

What happens next? Does Don:

A) gain a level in WoHS despite not meeting all the requirements, because once he "completes the test, he automatically gains the Wizard of High Sorcery prestige class,"
B) have a class level of 0 in WoHS? (a la Risen Martyr in BoED), or
C) do something else completely different?

Perhaps the Test is worth enough xp to advance a level. If not, then perhaps the character gains the prestige class in name only until such time as sufficient xp is acquired. Or perhaps the player converts his wizard class into WoHS. Ultimately, the rules are unclear as written and you'll have to decide on your own.

HOWEVER, the Towers of High Sorcery rulebook comes out sometime this month and it has more detailed explanation of the Test.

Remove ads