D&D 5E The 4 premier sets of Magic the Gathering 2022 are announced, speculation whether they will crossover with D&D

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Hello! With Ravnica released for D&D in 2018, Theros in 2020, and soon Strixhvaven in 2021, it looks like releasing MTG Planes as setting books for D&D is becoming a bit of a pattern. The other big connection, is all three of these releases have tied in with MTG Premier set releases in the same year.

So if 2022 is also getting a new MTG setting book, the biggest hints for these would be from the 2022 MTG release schedule... which was just announced today! Here are your four premier sets (and their 3 Planes), for you to speculate away on.

The source here is Magic: The Gathering: 2022 Sets Include Cyberpunk, Gangster and 30th Anniversary Settings - IGN and YouTube

Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty - Q1 2022​

Acting as something of a sequel to the Sengoku era Japan-inspired Kamigawa sets, Neon Dynasty is set 2,000 years after the original 2004-2005 block. Neon Dynasty depicts the future of Kamigawa as a utopia, filled with "neon, ninjas, and cyberpunk samurai."

The set has been created in conjunction with external cultural developers, aiming to balance fans' love of the original Kamigawa sets with a respectful look at a futuristic Japanese culture.

1629823574919.png

Streets of New Capenna - Q2 2022​

A completely fresh setting for Magic, New Capenna is based on old-school gangster movies, but with an expectedly fantastical twist. The city was built by angels but is now ruled by demonic crime families (each of which aligns with three colours of Magic). While it's a totally new setting, Wizards of the Coast promises that the set will include connections to existing characters in Magic lore.

1629823636255.png

Dominaria United - Q3 2022​

To celebrate Magic: The Gathering's 30th anniversary, 2022's third set will take players back to the first ever Magic setting, Dominaria. Classic locations including Shiv, Tolaria and Urborg will appear, and Wizards promises that the high fantasy setting will feel totally familiar to longtime fans – and act as an introduction to the classic form of Magic for new players.

1629823721111.png

The Brothers War - Q4 2022​

Also set in Dominaria, the Brothers War returns to one of Magic's most important storylines – the conflict of Urza and Mishra and its effects on the Magic Multiverse. The set will see the story told "through a new lens", including new perspectives and voices outside of the titular brothers – but deliver on the artifact-heavy set that longtime fans will expect.

1629823780888.png

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Dominaria would be a nice one for a fully-owned-by-WotC kitchen sink, with a lot of room and vague lore that could be used to merge it with D&D instead of trying to retcon and change FRs.

Kamigawa sounds awesome, it could lead to a 5e version for futuristic/ultramodern rules (in before @LuisCarlos17f :p !). I'm not sure this is something D&D has on their projects list, but its a good opportunity.

New Capena can be awesome for urban or heist adventures. Not sure its worth doing another ''big city setting'' after Ravnica and Waterdeep, but at least the flavor is super cool.

WotC should allow some open space for fandom to publish their own fanart and fanfiction set in Kamiwaga: Neon Dinasty. I guess we could bet this setting has been redesigned to be a hook for the otaku community (in my land otakus isn't a pejorative term and it is not said with offensive intention).

New Capena offers some interesting potential. This setting could be adapted into any serie for the streaming services for the audence who isn't too interested into the speculative fiction.

My suggestion is looking for explanations about why modern firearms aren't used in these settings with advenced technology. Maybe there is a magic field on all the population and everybody can enjoy a bulletproof aura, or a mystic taboo because the gunslingers are cursed to suffer the vengueance of the ghosts killed by unhonorable weapons. Or ordinary citizens would rather ranged weapons with no-lethal effects, or magic allow to know where are the weapons used to cause the injuries by the victims.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You know what...I could see any of these three, easily. Kamigawa could offer a very different genre experience, and expand cultural representation, a win-win. New Cappena seems a little too much like Ravnica and Eberron had a bad y to be really new, but I could see it.

Now...Dominaria. getting two whole card sets, one diving into the deep lore of the past if the Setting? On one hand, yes, it's another generic fantasy, but one they can use as a bit if a fresh slate, and it has millions of fans. That last part was enough fir Exandria to get a book. Particularly if the two Classic Settings are weird*Planescape and Dark Sun), I could see Dominaria making a lot of sens even with the existing free rules and older art book.

WotC should allow some open space for fandom to publish their own fanart and fanfiction set in Kamiwaga: Neon Dinasty. I guess we could bet this setting has been redesigned to be a hook for the otaku community (in my land otakus isn't a pejorative term and it is not said with offensive intention).

New Capena offers some interesting potential. This setting could be adapted into any serie for the streaming services for the audence who isn't too interested into the speculative fiction.

My suggestion is looking for explanations about why modern firearms aren't used in these settings with advenced technology. Maybe there is a magic field on all the population and everybody can enjoy a bulletproof aura, or a mystic taboo because the gunslingers are cursed to suffer the vengueance of the ghosts killed by unhonorable weapons. Or ordinary citizens would rather ranged weapons with no-lethal effects, or magic allow to know where are the weapons used to cause the injuries by the victims.
I suspect it will be akin to Eberron, with "industrialized magic" instead of science. So gunwands for example.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases