D&D 5E The 4 premier sets of Magic the Gathering 2022 are announced, speculation whether they will crossover with D&D

One point is if Hasbro wants "one metaverse to rule all the rest of multiverses" then they will have to hire the best scripters to write a cosmology where all the franchises could to be together, but not too near.

New Capenna is noir punk, isn't it? This means the setting can be for stories with a pulp-fiction style, but also to mix hard-boiled and Lovecraftian cosmic horror.

Kelsier, a character from the fantasy book "Mistborn" saga is a skin in Fortnite, and time ago there was other like a female drow, Ember. If Epic Games wanted, we could be skins based in Paizo's franchise "Starfinder". I am not talking about skins in Fortnite to make money, but to promote the brand.

Kamiwaga: Neon Dinasty will be not a D&D setting yet, because the d20 system isn't ready to design encounters with the right power balance when there are firearms and modern technology. The characters of Street Fighters can't be face Overwatch, Mortal Kombat fighters can't defeat Doom Eternal bosses.

Warcraft in "Beyond Universe"? I doubt it because Blizzard has got its own collectable card game: Heartstone. A Diablo or Warcraft TTRPG published by WotC is possible, but they should offer something beyond the classic crunch (subclasses, some spells and magic items, PC races and monsters) if this can be created homebred by the players.

Northern Phoenix

Adventurer
I mean, not that much is needed in terms of rules.

The best sci-fi conversions I've seen for 5e keep the new rules to elements that are completely absent from regular fantasy (i.e the internet, space ships, etc) and leave most of the moment to moment rules the same. This leaves them space to really spend on material that helps get through the feel of sci-fi. IMO Esper Genesis does this pretty well, the classes are essentially the same rules wise, with a few exceptions, but they are reskinned so completely that you are never taken out of being immersed in the sci-fi frame of mind by purely "fantasy" exclusive language.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The best sci-fi conversions I've seen for 5e keep the new rules to elements that are completely absent from regular fantasy (i.e the internet, space ships, etc) and leave most of the moment to moment rules the same. This leaves them space to really spend on material that helps get through the feel of sci-fi. IMO Esper Genesis does this pretty well, the classes are essentially the same rules wise, with a few exceptions, but they are reskinned so completely that you are never taken out of being immersed in the sci-fi frame of mind by purely "fantasy" exclusive language.
Exactly.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Eh

Depends on if you want sci-fi D&D to feel like D&D with sci-fi elements or Sci Fi with D&D tropes.
I mean, if I'm buying a 5E sci-fi book, I'm looking to essentially replicate the d20 Star Wars experience without the IP baggage, and probably mix with standard 5E fantasy rules freely.

If I want to play Firefly or something, sure, I'd just play Traveller. But that's not relevant to sci-fi D&D.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I mean, if I'm buying a 5E sci-fi book, I'm looking to essentially replicate the d20 Star Wars experience without the IP baggage, and probably mix with standard 5E fantasy rules freely.

If I want to play Firefly or something, sure, I'd just play Traveller. But that's not relevant to sci-fi D&D.

My point is 5e d20 IP-less Star Wars with Sci Fi elements and fantasy tropes is still a whole lotta rules changes and additions.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than the amount any of the 5e setting books change the game for sure. Maybe more that them combined.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
My point is 5e d20 IP-less Star Wars with Sci Fi elements and fantasy tropes is still a whole lotta rules changes and additions.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than the amount any of the 5e setting books change the game for sure. Maybe more that them combined.
Is it though? D&D isnt classical medieval fantasy either, its essentially modern era with fantasy elements - So besides Starship rules what needs to change to make D&D more Sci Fi?

Parmandur

Book-Friend

I mean...not really? Mostly just additions, like some more equipment and vehicles, some space travel logistics...not results more than prior Setting books have added.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Is it though? D&D isnt classical medieval fantasy either, its essentially modern era with fantasy elements - So besides Starship rules what needs to change to make D&D more Sci Fi?
Depends on the direction you go.

You have Armor. Weapons. New Skills. Tools. Class changes. Maybe new classes. Probably changes to shooting. Probably vehicles. A lot of tech stuff depending on how you go like internet, hacking, phones, TV, recording, biotech, engineering, etc.

Painting the PHB in neon, chrome, and Japanese likely would get poor reviews.

Remove ads