D&D 5E The 4 premier sets of Magic the Gathering 2022 are announced, speculation whether they will crossover with D&D

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Depends on the direction you go.

You have Armor. Weapons. New Skills. Tools. Class changes. Maybe new classes. Probably changes to shooting. Probably vehicles. A lot of tech stuff depending on how you go like internet, hacking, phones, TV, recording, biotech, engineering, etc.

Painting the PHB in neon, chrome, and Japanese likely would get poor reviews.
I mean, I'm not sure about the last assertion at all. As to the rest...new Classes and skills don't seem necessary, nor much in the way of new Weapons or Armor past what's in the DMG, even. The tech stuff can be handled fairly low key, and probably with much less page space than the Piety stuff in Theros.

Remathilis

Legend
Is it though? D&D isnt classical medieval fantasy either, its essentially modern era with fantasy elements - So besides Starship rules what needs to change to make D&D more Sci Fi?
Y'all never read Starfinder and it shows.

Actually, you could probably make a decent "sci-fi D&D setting" like Starfinder or Dragonstar with minimal fuss. A few new subs, new races, expand the future weapon and add lots of new gear. But your still talking wizards and goblins rather than a true sci-fi experience.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Y'all never read Starfinder and it shows.

Actually, you could probably make a decent "sci-fi D&D setting" like Starfinder or Dragonstar with minimal fuss. A few new subs, new races, expand the future weapon and add lots of new gear. But your still talking wizards and goblins rather than a true sci-fi experience.
But what is a "true sci-fi" experience? What kind if Sci-Fi is "true"? D&D with a sci-fi skin wouldn't take too much at all, and anything else would be silly to do with 5E at all.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I mean, I'm not sure about the last assertion at all. As to the rest...new Classes and skills don't seem necessary, nor much in the way of new Weapons or Armor past what's in the DMG, even. The tech stuff can be handled fairly low key, and probably with much less page space than the Piety stuff in Theros.

I mean sure you could do that.

But like I said that's just painting D&D 5th edition in neon and chrome and calling it a new genre.

It's not even like dark fantasy where its mostly a tone that changes. A lot changes. Technology. Communications. Logistics. It's muliple time periods shifted forward. You might get away with a little. You also might not.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Depends on the direction you go.

You have Armor. Weapons. New Skills. Tools. Class changes. Maybe new classes. Probably changes to shooting. Probably vehicles. A lot of tech stuff depending on how you go like internet, hacking, phones, TV, recording, biotech, engineering, etc.

Painting the PHB in neon, chrome, and Japanese likely would get poor reviews.

The Artificer makes it explicit that D&D Tech is just reskinned magic items, and with things like Googles of Night Vision they arent even reskinned. A stimulant injection is a potion and Boots of Levitation are Anti-Gravity boots. The DMG has entries for Alien tech including Laser pistols and antimatter rifles. Artificer already gives access to Tinkering with tech so the only new skills you'd need are Astro-Pilot and maybe Comms-tech if you want to be specific with your hacking.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean sure you could do that.

But like I said that's just painting D&D 5th edition in neon and chrome and calling it a new genre.

It's not even like dark fantasy where its mostly a tone that changes. A lot changes. Technology. Communications. Logistics. It's muliple time periods shifted forward. You might get away with a little. You also might not.
I mean, third parties already have, WotC could if they wanted to.

Dausuul

Legend
Somewhat off topic, but I just saw that the Street Fighter secret lair drop will have a Chun Li card.

With multikicker.

I'm going to go spend the rest of the night rolling around on the floor laughing now.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I mean, third parties already have, WotC could if they wanted to.

I'll add, the DMG rules on sci-fi weaponry alone make running a sci-fi game in 5E fairly easy (I've done a few sessions of it myself!)

It drives up the lethality, as the weapons do a lot more damage (both in the hands of NPCs, enemies, and the players). But if you add sci-fi elements that either make it harder to hit (stronger armor) or that your able to take more damage (shields) I don't see why you can't lower that lethality again.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
At this rate, Transformers and My Little Pony will be joining the party in Season 2!
D&D is a canon thing to the Transformers universe. Like, Rust Monsters exist on Cybertron level canon

So on the great big Map of the Multiverse (Which is a THING let me tell you I saw it on Twitter) they're basically touching. And once you hit Transformers you're one hop away from Star Trek, Hello Kitty, Terminator, Ghostbusters, Evangelion, and Metal Gear Solid

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases