D&D 4E The 4e human racial package: what we know

Gloombunny

First Post
MaelStorm said:
If you remember the Sneak Attack! article, in the feats for the rogue there was 2 X feat (Y human feat). I speculate that there will be a list of 6 Human only feats has racial power human get to choose at least one in this list.

Aside the two human only feats shown in that Ampersand article I speculate human will have a Human Resilience feat (just like Dwarves get the Dwarven Resilience feat), and that there are still three other feats unknown to this hypothetical list.
Toughness is not a human-only feat. We've seen the text for it. It doesn't say anything about race. Plus it wouldn't make much sense if humans could take Toughness and dwarves couldn't.

Humans get a bonus feat of their choice just like in 3.x, it seems to me. Spending it on a human-only feat is optional.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Green Knight said:
So from all appearances, then, this is most likely what Human Racial Traits look like, then?

- +2 bonus to any two stats
- 1 Bonus Skill
- 1 Bonus Feat
- 1 Bonus Power

That sound about right? If so, wow. I'm gonna be a REALLY happy human player come 4E. Time to collect for all the times I played a human in 2E and had nothing to show for it other then the ability to surpass level caps that we never reached in any of our campaigns.

That seems about right. All the races seem to have a +2 to two stats and 4 racial abilities.

Green Knight

First Post
Humans might have a +1 Initiative bonus, too. Erais has a +1 Initiative bonus, but there's no apparent source for it. So that might be another ability. Has anyone found a way to explain that away without assuming it's a racial trait?

MaelStorm

First Post
Gloombunny said:
Toughness is not a human-only feat. We've seen the text for it. It doesn't say anything about race. Plus it wouldn't make much sense if humans could take Toughness and dwarves couldn't.

Humans get a bonus feat of their choice just like in 3.x, it seems to me. Spending it on a human-only feat is optional.
Ah yes, Toughness is not only for human. So human only feats will be in my wildest dream, I guess.

Last edited:

MaelStorm

First Post
Gloombunny said:
Huh? There are definitely human-only feats. It's just that a human doesn't have to take them if she doesn't want to.
Ok, thanks a lot to clarify this point, I really didn't know there was human only feats. I didn't play the 3E or 3.5E, so I thought it was a completely new addition in 4E.

keterys

First Post
It is a completely new addition for 4E. We only know about one so far (Preserverance) which gives a bonus to saves. And possibly does other stuff, like give a bonus to defenses.

Green Knight

First Post
I know I'm already looking forward to it. Human Paladins are my favorite characters. The usual stat array for 28 Point Buy that I go with is...

STR 14, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 14

With a +2 bonus to any two stats, I could up it to the following.

STR 16, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 16

I also like how Paladins get four Trained Skills. Something I always hated about 3E was the whole "Two Skill Points Per Level" thing. Effectively two Trained Skills. That's why I always tried to bump Int whenever I could, to squeeze out one or two more Skill Points per level. But with Paladins getting four Trained Skills, that's no longer a concern (Int doesn't seem to provide more Trained Skills, though, so it doesn't matter either way). Add in the human bonus and I've got five Trained Skills to choose from. I just hope there's an option for choosing skills that aren't on your skill list. Other skills like Endurance, History, or Nature would be nice for the kinds of characters I like to come up with.

Add in the bonus power, and the possibility that that bonus power can be chosen from other classes, and I'm absolutely thrilled. I'll be able to get Bolstering Strike and Holy Strike, and possibly throw in a Cleave as well. Or Tide of Iron. Or if I really wanted to go nuts, an Eldritch Blast (Which begs the question, can a sword be made an Implement?).

Tons of possibilities, and I'm dying to try them out, already. And we're talking just one race/class combo.

MaelStorm

First Post
keterys said:
It is a completely new addition for 4E. We only know about one so far (Preserverance) which gives a bonus to saves. And possibly does other stuff, like give a bonus to defenses.
So I wasn't completely off with my guesses, just the toughness part was wrong. But could there be different kind of toughness bonus for different races? That could maybe explain Human feat: Toughness. Anyway, I think that what has been considered so far by the other posters are very safe bet and surely more plausible than mine.

[minor nitpick]It's not the word PREseverance, but PERseverance[/minor nitpick]

arscott

First Post
Simple:

Humans get a bonus feat--any feat they want, same as 3rd edition.

Toughness is the bonus feat that the PHB suggests for human characters trying to build a brawny rogue. If I'm not mistaken, similar notation is used in the 3e phb.

Remove ads