D&D 4E The 4e human racial package: what we know

Cadfan

First Post
Colmarr said:
I don't think so at all. I think the true effect of the Human Perseverance feat is that humans get +1 to all defences AND +1 to all saves. The feat text on the pregen character sheet doesn't need to mention +1 defences because the static defence numbers already reflect it. After all, the pregen character sheets specifically say that some class and racial features have already been added.
That is possible. It does seem... awfully good at that point, but maybe that's what it is.

Colmarr said:
Do you have a source for this? That seems like an exceedingly underpowered feat compared to some of the others we have seen. I'm more inclined to believe that it reduced Hunter' Quarry from a move action to a minor action.
The warlock has a functionally identical ability that grants +1d6 damage. The ranger's ability is upgraded by a feat, and does +1d8. I conclude from this that the abilities are the same except that the ranger's feat increases his damage by a die.

In terms of power level, this is in line with other feats we've seen, such as the Elven feat which gives you +2 on your reroll attack from Elven Accuracy.

Colmarr

First Post
Cadfan said:
That is possible. It does seem... awfully good at that point, but maybe that's what it is....

Hmm. I agree. Human Perserverance does seem much better than the elven feat you mentioned, although it's probably on par with Dwarven Weapon Training. Maybe the +1 to defences is a racial feature (although humans would then share it with halflings which I assume WotC would try to avoid).

As for Lethal Hunter, unless there is more to it than an increase in die size, it seems like an extremely underpowered feat. It increases average damage by 1, which is less than Dwarven Weapon Training. Maybe the feat changes the action type (from move to minor), or maybe it upgrades Hunter's Quarry from an enounter power to an at-will power. But that then begs the question why the base ranger ability is different from the base warlock ability...

I guess we'll have to see.

Last edited:

HeinorNY

First Post
Rpgraccoon said:
All characters were supposed to be built under 28 point build I remember reading somewhere the guy was sleepy and built a few characters under 29 instead.
My calculations making assumptions regarding the pregen sheets and point buy generation to find out racial bonuses.

Dwarf: If it's +2 STR +2 CON = 28 pts. If it's +2 CON +2 WIS = 30 pts - My guess: +2 STR +2 CON.

Tiefling: +2 INT +2 CHA = 29 pts - Confirmed.

Halfling: If it's +2 DEX +2 CHA = 29 pts - Fluff corroborates.

Eladrin: If it's +2 DEX +2 INT = 29 pts - Fluff corroborates.

Human: If it's only +2 WIS = 30 pts. If it's +2 WIS +2 any other = 28. My guess: +2 any two abilities.

Half-elf: If it's +2 CON +2 CHA = 29 pts. If it's +2 INT +2 CHA = 30 pts. My guess: +2 CHA +2 any other ability.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I'd love to know where "they" said this and who keeps repeating it because every single example of a feat is actually powered up--

Dwarven weapon training appears to be +1 to hit and +2 damage with hammers and axes. Beats the pants of weapon focus.

Alertness (only one of two I've seen confirmed by WotC) gives +2 to perception AND you don't grant combat advantage when flatfooted. Given that a straightup conversion of Alertness would have been simply +2 to perception, adding in half of Uncanny Dodge is a big powerup.

Toughness gives +3 hp at first level and +1 hp/level after that. Far better than 3e toughness--and, given the lack of other +1hp/level effects, better than 3e Improved Toughness too.

If anything, feats look powered up to me not the other way around.

Dragonbait said:
Didn't they say that the feats would be toned down from 3E? If so, that feat the human took is probably a darn good one.

Shroomy

Adventurer
4e feats definitely look powered up when compared to 3.x feats, but I think that has more to do with the different mathematical systems. However, I think that feats are somewhat "powered down" when compared with class powers.

fafhrd

First Post
My understanding was that feats wouldn't grant new mechanics to a class but instead build on those already in place. The feats we've seen so far are clearly improvements over their 3.x analogs.

Green Knight

First Post
So from all appearances, then, this is most likely what Human Racial Traits look like, then?

- +2 bonus to any two stats
- 1 Bonus Skill
- 1 Bonus Feat
- 1 Bonus Power

That sound about right? If so, wow. I'm gonna be a REALLY happy human player come 4E. Time to collect for all the times I played a human in 2E and had nothing to show for it other then the ability to surpass level caps that we never reached in any of our campaigns.

Cadfan

First Post
Are we sure the extra power is a Human ability? It would make sense, sort of, since other races seem to get a racial power, but it also seemed to me that spellcasters had more powers than other groups. And the Human was a cleric, which is basically a spellcaster.

I'll have to go back and count tomorrow.

MaelStorm

First Post
My guess:

+2 flex stats, it's a very high probability and think this concept perfectly fit the 4E design changes

If you remember the Sneak Attack! article, in the feats for the rogue there was 2 X feat (Y human feat). I speculate that there will be a list of 6 Human only feats has racial power human get to choose at least one in this list.

Aside the two human only feats shown in that Ampersand article I speculate human will have a Human Resilience feat (just like Dwarves get the Dwarven Resilience feat), and that there are still three other feats unknown to this hypothetical list.

Remove ads