D&D 5E The 5E Magic User

All I know is that a 1st level wizard with a spell should be more dangerous than a random peasant with a stick. 4E pulled that off in high fashion. In third edition you spent the early adventuring days hiding behind the fighter with a urine soaked robe.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Yeah! I mean, look at the real world, where it takes just as much time to toss a grenade as it does to pick a lock. 4E can be so unrealistic.

For the armed forces, it currently takes only a little more time to blow a lock than it does to throw a grenade. Slap the shaped charge on, blow it. It takes even less time to use a ram.

Aldarc

Legend
I ran an AE campaign and I also really loved the magic system.

But that said, I also found it the most unbalancing spell system in dnd I have played to date:) Casters there have a crazy ton of power and flexibility.

So if that system were implemented a lot of would have to be taken out if you still wanted wizard/fighter balance.
The magic system itself works well, but the power level of the spells or the spell list size should probably be taken down a notch. But if the fighter abilities were also more evened with more cool stuff to do at higher level, then the extent of modifying the spells would of course differ.

Remove ads