D&D General The Appearance of Female Goblins

I'd say that World of Warcraft is quite influential in how many might see certain races now.

And I've always felt that Goblins were mammals.

I do remember there being a picture of a Female Hobgoblin in Red Hand of Doom that was distinctly female. But Hobgoblins have generally being depicted as being a lot closer to Humans than Goblins were.

MGibster

Legend
Why not start with the female? Y'know? Why not look at animals and how they do or don't have sexual dimorphism? Everything that reproduces sexually has a mother (but not necessarily a father - parthenogenesis is a thing). I guess there's elves - they do tend to be androgynous in D&D and even lean a bit feminine in typical appearances. But I really hope we don't see more "Michelangelo"-style "I took the male and stuck on big boobs on it, now it's a chick!"-type stuff.

In one of my campaigns, the Drow female are extremely larger than the males who are the same size as halflings. Why not? Spiders often have extreme sexual dimorphism and I thought it'd be fun to add that to the drow. (They're spider-centric in my campaign but not evil.)

dave2008

Legend
In one of my campaigns, the Drow female are extremely larger than the males who are the same size as halflings. Why not? Spiders often have extreme sexual dimorphism and I thought it'd be fun to add that to the drow. (They're spider-centric in my campaign but not evil.)
Not sure what the stance in D&D is, but there is some logic in making Aarakocra females larger than the males (female raptors are generally larger than the males)

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Not sure what the stance in D&D is, but there is some logic in making Aarakocra females larger than the males (female raptors are generally larger than the males)

Some Aarakocra look like Passeriformes, Psittaciformes, or Strigiformes, rather than the classic Accipitriformes or Falconiformes. Not all birds are sexually dimorphic.

Weiley31

Legend
In Tomb of Annihilation, there are female goblins. They don't look very different than the male. They certainly don't look like short humans with large ears.

Personally, I love the Pathfinder female goblin. Being almost exactly like the male, but has lipstick.

View attachment 123613
If Lipstick is good enough for Gremlins in New York, it's flipping good enough for Goblins!

dave2008

Legend
Some Aarakocra look like Passeriformes, Psittaciformes, or Strigiformes, rather than the classic Accipitriformes or Falconiformes. Not all birds are sexually dimorphic.
I did a quick search after I posted to check if my memory was accurate and the interweb's wisdom suggested that in most birds the male is larger, but it is the opposite in raptors (I just remember the raptor part). Regardless, It is not really relevant for a fantasy humanoid bird-folk, but it could be a point of inspiration.

Weiley31

Legend
Maybe one scale to compare some Female Goblins to, would be: more like Smurfette from the Smurfs, or more like Greta the Female Gremlin from Gremlins II?
Definetly more like Greta. The female Pathfinder Goblin with the lipstick somebody posted earlier in this posted so reminds me of that!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads