D&D General The Art and the Artist: Discussing Problematic Issues in D&D

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
It doesn’t cloud them at all. They are literally violent, they just aren’t physical. The word violence just simply is not limited to physical force.
I'm a transfemme in a rural area; you better believe I've experienced both physical and emotional violence, and if you think one of these is actually more serious than the other, I've got news for you. You're right.

You'd be surprised how quickly a black eye heals

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm a transfemme in a rural area; you better believe I've experienced both physical and emotional violence, and if you think one of these is actually more serious than the other, I've got news for you. You're right.

I’m pretty sure you were addressing a general you here, and not me specifically, but just to be especially clear, I think you and I are in full agreement on this matter. Also, I’m sorry you’ve had to go through that. You are valid and the things I would like to say to people who think otherwise aren’t allowed to be posted here.

MGibster

Legend

When I recall painful memories, it's the ones that leave mental scars that occasionally occupy my mind these days rather than the physical injuries. I would have to agree with your assessment, physical injuries often heal much quicker than emotional ones.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
When I recall painful memories, it's the ones that leave mental scars that occasionally occupy my mind these days rather than the physical injuries. I would have to agree with your assessment, physical injuries often heal much quicker than emotional ones.

I was going to post the same thing.

It would be an interesting experiment to ask people "what was your most painful experience?" without specifying what kind of pain you mean. I'm guessing most people who describe emotional pain.

But at the same time, I don't feel any obligation to cater to their needs. Maybe the game with a villainous faction of mind controlling spiders isn't the game for them. It's okay to make a game that isn't for everyone.
The OP was mostly about legacy products and writers and artists who were “of their era.” But when it comes to contemporary entertainment, including rpgs, there are absolutely products that I don’t purchase either because there is something off putting about the content or the views/action of the creator. That includes wotc products. I don’t know how much of wotc’s drive to change things is because they care about the “community” or because of the more realistic urge to sell more products, though I would guess it’s more the latter given that they are a large corporation.

I was going to post the same thing.

It would be an interesting experiment to ask people "what was your most painful experience?" without specifying what kind of pain you mean. I'm guessing most people who describe emotional pain.
Yeah... PTSD sux.
The OP was mostly about legacy products and writers and artists who were “of their era.” But when it comes to contemporary entertainment, including rpgs, there are absolutely products that I don’t purchase either because there is something off putting about the content or the views/action of the creator. That includes wotc products. I don’t know how much of wotc’s drive to change things is because they care about the “community” or because of the more realistic urge to sell more products, though I would guess it’s more the latter given that they are a large corporation.
Honestly, if they are smart...both
All asides well aside, companies have one and only one goal; Profit. While your opinion may be considered, they don't really care as long as it turns a profit. Now is it good public relations to try and appease the fan base? Well, Duh? Of course, that's where the bucks come from.
As Gus Grissom said to the NASA engineers regarding the program, No Buck Rodgers, no bucks. Meaning without the PR face (the astronauts) there was no funding. Same with companies, but make no mistake, if they thought doing the opposite and lambasting you would make sell more product, there would be a send up on the next PHB cover...

yeah, if a book that an orc (again using this to avoid real world groups) reads makes some part of the orc population feel attacked, and some elves that have read that book use it as an excuse to persecutor the orcs?
How many Orcs need to feel bad for it to be significant? how many orcs need to be persecuted to be significant?
You are saying people are being persecuted by playing or even reading those published adventures? Can you see what exaggeration does to a conversation?

Remove ads