D&D 5E The Barbarian has been Nerfed YET AGAIN. Where is Thick Hide?

cmbarona

First Post
*snip*
It completely doesn't fit the character concept. The character is a ninja (you read that right) who goes into a "battle trance" when she "rages". This gives her uncanny awareness, and ability to block attacks (hence why she takes half damage while in battle trance). She wears no armor; just a simple black gi. The Thick Hide ability allowed this character concept to work. Now it does not.
*snip*

I gotta be honest, it sounds like your character concept is just not the same vision that WotC has as they are developing a Barbarian. It sounds like you're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. And I think it's unfair to blame WotC for that.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Maybe your ninja barbarian can hang out with my dragon sorcerer! :p

Seriously though, it sounds like your character was one of those offbeat builds that isn't optimal for the class, but works anyway because the class is overpowered enough to make up for it.

Tough hide simply didn't fit the game that well. A naked barbarian might be as hard to kill as an armored fighter, but shouldn't be as hard to hit - otherwise, what's the point of armor? So you get DR and resistance while raging, and you can wear leather armor and do just fine.

Unwise

Adventurer
I had to check the webpage address, I thought I had stumbled into an MMO forum ;) I think it would pay to not be too invested into any particular class during a playtest.

I would like to see the barbarian be effective with minimal armor on though. I think that there has to be a marrying up of what makes a class work conceptually and what makes it work mechanically. So a barbarian should not be significantly more powerful wearing the heavier armor types, even if it makes sense logically.

Remove ads