D&D General The Best DM Advice Was Writren in 1981.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Is this good advice? Down this path lies railroaded dragonlance modules
That's why I'd rather run an open-world sandbox game. There's a dragon in this area. If you go there at 1st level...you will die. Whatever story a D&D game has is what emerges from actually playing the game. Wandering monsters and random rolls and all. I'm not pushing a story on the players and there's no railroading. I'm not invested in any particular outcome. I simply populate the world and get to be as surprised as the players when they encounter things and how the players react to them and try to overcome them...or simply run for their lives when over their heads. I really dislike that "perfectly balanced to the party" advice. That along with fudging roll is best left in the bin where they belong.

aco175

Legend
I wonder how much the advice has chanced over the last 40 years? A lot of things from older editions have changed, so why wouldn't this general information. Some of it talks about scaling each encounter to match the party to keep them alive and I have seen discussion here about having a living world where some places are too tough for the PCs. Generally there should be some clues though. Not sure how much else from the, "Don't be a jerk" and "everyone should have fun" general advice has changed

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Worst...todays "adventure modules" tend to try and encourage the same mindset: "Ignore the boring stuff...get straight to the EXCITING stuff!". Yes, Players, and the DM, need to be excited about playing the game...obviously...but when you sit down and the game starts with an explosion, followed by 39 more explosions, well, after about the 4th or 5th, it's no longer "exciting"...it's just expected.
I think this has a lot to do with WotC knowing its audience. Increasingly, gaming groups are running shorter sessions. Even kids don't seem to have the same amount of time for gaming that I had when I was young.

Not many people want to spend half of a 2-3 hour session on a random encounter or exploring hexes.

But I agree with your sentiment. My game sessions are 8 hours for my D&D campaign. Generally one a month. I would rather have fewer but longer sessions. I rarely get the sense of exploration and player agency in shorter sessions. The exploration pillar seems to be the weakest in most modern campaigns.

guachi

Hero
My way of skipping the boring stuff and getting to the exciting stuff is to poke and prod the players to take faster turns in combat. Sitting around waiting for a player to decide what to do is the boring stuff. Players who barrel through combat, that's fun!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
To me, it reads like good advice for bad ideas. Having outcomes "so necessary to [you] as DM" sounds like putting the game on fixed rails no matter what, which...isn't good. Now, if it's "fixed rails because the players are cool with that," sure, knock yourself out. But that advice, read out of context, becomes "Always fudge whenever you feel like it," and I would emphatically call that bad advice.
We seem to have issues understanding each other sometimes I think. :unsure:

I am not saying characters can't do what they want (I've had to scrap entire adventures due to player choices...), but the rules (even in 5E) are the DM calls for the rolls. If something is impossible, it is impossible and there is no point in asking for a roll. If something is so simple as to be automatic, no roll is needed. It is a waste of time.

But even if I mean turning a hit into a miss because I need the bad guy to get away for a later scene is perfectly valid. The bad guy flees, the players still cheer, and the adventure can move on to the next chapter.

So, I am not talking about "Always fudge whenever you feel like it", but when it furthers the story and makes the game more enjoyable it is good advice. Allowing the dice to rule the table instead of the DM is BAD advice.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
The best advice written is useless if nobody ever reads it. So if you only read one system or edition, who knows what else you might be missing?
At the table, having fun is the most important goal—more important than the characters’ success in an adventure. It’s just as vital for everyone at the table to cooperate toward making the game fun for everyone as it is for the player characters to cooperate within the adventure.

-Dungeon Master's Guide, pg. 4 (2008, 4th Edition)

Last edited:

Over the years I've relied more on events or exposition to warn the PCs what could happen. D&D is a game of dice and numbers. Telling the players what they see is not enough, you have to show them. Rolling damage in front of the players is important. For the T-Rex scenario I would have the T-Rex attack an animal like an apex predator would and roll the damage dice in front of them. The moment they see those d12s rolling across the battle mat with a ridiculous attack bonus behind it they would think twice.

Exposition doesn't always work, and it failed in my most recent session. The PCs were freeing children from the Red Hand of Shargaas. One of the guard dogs was Magebred, able to speak and wasn't happy living with a cult of cannibals. He warned them about the Red Hand, all of his terrible powers, and what he would do. Well, the dice were in my favor because they said, "that didn't sound so bad" right before I dropped two nat 20's in a row and cut down half of the party under the cover of magical darkness. They were told the Red Hand would trade with them, as he had something he didn't want and didn't know how to get rid of it. At least they remembered that part because it was really close to a TPK and it saved them.

As an aside, The Red Hand of Shargaas is underconned in 5e. For a CR 3 they can easily take on an entire CR4 party, which is what happened with a little help from two Orc meat shields.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Is worshipping the words of the ancients any better?

Well, see the rest of the thread, I personally think it's absurd to worship only some selected sentences of the books and totally ignore the others, even though it's the same author(s) explaining their game. Understanding the intent is actually often more important than the words themselves. Missing that, and you might end up trying to dry your cat in a microwave, for example. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases