D&D 5E The Big 5e Playtest Feat Thread

often simply because it is restricted and the umpteen options already provided for them don't make them pretty-special-snowflake-enough.

In my case it's because limitations breed ideas. That it is restricted draws attention to the restriction. And that gives me the seed of a PC when had it been legal I wouldn't have been looking in that direction.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
In my case it's because limitations breed ideas. That it is restricted draws attention to the restriction. And that gives me the seed of a PC when had it been legal I wouldn't have been looking in that direction.

Just so. As I said...the "special snowflake" bit notwithstanding, but you are drawn to it "simply because it is restricted" whereas if it weren't, you wouldn't have looked at it twice.

Nothing wrong with that. I just don't get when there are x number of classes and y number of races and now, z and w number of backgrounds and themes to choose from, anyone would feel a need OR be "inspired" to go "out of bounds" simply because it is "out of bounds."

Guess it's just me...but that bugs me. I am more than happy to work with players to get them the concept character they want...and yeah, if that means bending or breaking "duh rulz" then I will...but I find, 9 times out of 10, something close [if not exact] can come about (that the player wasn't considering because they simply wanted to go out of bounds) within the "normal"/allowed combos...and probably get a few extra bells or whistles they weren't thinking of or counting on, maybe minimal borrowing from this or that class to add certain specific abilities.

--SD

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Certainly a step up from the feats in the 4E phb or many 3E ones.

I have to join the bandwagon on healers touch...and, depending on the economics of the game, herbalism could be a real problem.

As for mismatched themes...eh, I doubt it will matter. Either the rogue berserker is clearly a sub-optimal combo, OR, they actually do go together...so they go together.

Hautamaki

First Post
It also depends on how flexible the themes are. A paladin who talks to the souls of the dead and summons up the spirits of those who were wronged by evil sounds like a great application of the Necromancer theme!

My money's on 5-level themes, with three feats. That seems like a nice point to be considering a prestige theme or picking up another basic theme.

I love that idea and I'd like to exp you but the exp button is missing...?

Jack99

Adventurer
Certainly a step up from the feats in the 4E phb or many 3E ones.

I have to join the bandwagon on healers touch...and, depending on the economics of the game, herbalism could be a real problem.

As for mismatched themes...eh, I doubt it will matter. Either the rogue berserker is clearly a sub-optimal combo, OR, they actually do go together...so they go together.

Yeah, what TD said. Otherwise, the themes are great.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I see something like a fighter taking a wizard-flavored theme as a step forward into a more workable feat-based form of multiclassing. Presumably, this replaces the initial 4E style of feat-based multiclassing, 3E prestige classes, and 2E kits. Then "real multiclassing" will serve the role of the 4E hybrid or earlier version actual multiclassing.

So an individual group running a particular campaign will have several mechanical options, all reflecting different choices in a campaign:
  • Wizards are wizards, full stop -- no fighters taking such themes or multiclassing into wizards, because wizards are born to it, spend decades getting started, etc.
  • Wizards are the real wizards -- no fighters multiclassing into wizards, but they can dabble as "wizards" via themes.
  • Wizards are committed -- no pure fighters picking up "wizard" themes, but a fighter can multiclass to show committment, perhaps related to a wizard guild that demands a spate of training?
These are the same choices you had when you banned a prestige class, wrote your own kit, enforced or didn't enforce AD&D multiclass restrictions, etc.

jadrax

Adventurer
I forgot about the Find Familiar feat at 3rd level (in fact, I wasn't sure it came from class or theme), so if it comes from the theme then what I wrote above is valid for the first feat of the theme rather than the theme as a whole

I wonder if Dabbler is going to show up in a few more Themes tbh.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases