D&D 5E The "Bonus" Turn for high Initiative

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You are very welcomed.

If you want something different and wild, you should look into the Troika! initiative system :)

Interesting. I like the concept, but the use of cards or tokens would slow things down too much IMO. I wonder if I can work something into this with a simple die roll...?

Li Shenron

Legend
Open for discussion: is this a decent idea? too much/OP? I am toying with it for now, and would like some constructive feedback (please not just "this is a bad idea"--tell me why! :) ).

So if you roll 20+ initiative and also win surprise, do you get 3 full turns before the surprised enemies? :eek:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So if you roll 20+ initiative and also win surprise, do you get 3 full turns before the surprised enemies? :eek:

I suppose, depending on how you play and work with surprise, if you rolled really well and had a huge bonus. Say you have a +10, rolling an 18. So you are going on 28 and 8. If your enemy rolled below 8, say a 6, you would go 28, 8, 6 (surprised), new round, 8, 6.

How we do surprise, however, is you miss the first round, but are then no longer surprised once your first turn comes. You don't get to act on that turn, but after it you can act normally (take reactions, act on your next turn, etc.).

So, for us anyway, you would get to act on 28 and 8 with the target surprised, but once the target's turn on 6 passes, they are no longer surprised and can act. Thus, when you go again on 8 in the second round, there is no longer surprise.

For something like Assassinate, both 28 and 8 would be against surprised targets. But on the second round, the target is no longer surprised. You would still get advantage since the target hadn't acted yet (unless they used a reaction), but no critical necessarily.

coolAlias

Explorer
Because it's cyclic, everybody is going first or last, depending where you place your arbitrary 'starting' point. In the first round that's at the start of the fight, but thereafter it makes no difference. No spoke on a bicycle is first or last.
Yes, it's cyclic, but as soon as someone goes down they are no longer in the cycle, so if they didn't get to go yet, they've effectively lost a turn, no matter which round it is.

Going first prevents you from ever losing a turn in that manner, that's all I'm saying.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yes, it's cyclic, but as soon as someone goes down they are no longer in the cycle, so if they didn't get to go yet, they've effectively lost a turn, no matter which round it is.

Going first prevents you from ever losing a turn in that manner, that's all I'm saying.

Well, it prevents you from not acting in the first round. That's it. After that, it is pointless. Seems like not that much for someone who invests a lot in Initiative.

coolAlias

Explorer
I suppose, depending on how you play and work with surprise, if you rolled really well and had a huge bonus. Say you have a +10, rolling an 18. So you are going on 28 and 8. If your enemy rolled below 8, say a 6, you would go 28, 8, 6 (surprised), new round, 8, 6.

How we do surprise, however, is you miss the first round, but are then no longer surprised once your first turn comes. You don't get to act on that turn, but after it you can act normally (take reactions, act on your next turn, etc.).

So, for us anyway, you would get to act on 28 and 8 with the target surprised, but once the target's turn on 6 passes, they are no longer surprised and can act. Thus, when you go again on 8 in the second round, there is no longer surprise.

For something like Assassinate, both 28 and 8 would be against surprised targets. But on the second round, the target is no longer surprised. You would still get advantage since the target hadn't acted yet (unless they used a reaction), but no critical necessarily.
Running 5e surprise by the book, nice!

In your example, would you allow the assassin to Assassinate the same target twice (w/Sneak Attack both times)?

Remove ads