• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

Being cast out by the Armorer on account of showing his face seems like it might be pretty important though.
Sure, it sets up the quest to travel to the ruins of Mandalore, delve through the devastated mines, bathe in the sacred pool, master the darksabre, and tame the fearsome mythosaur, before uniting the surviving Mandalorian people.

It's not just a space western, it's also an Arthurian myth.

The near complete lack of Boba Fett in this (IMHO) great episode shows that Boba Fett really shouldn't have had a show.

No Mando or Grogu means maybe having to go up to two years without them on-screen, since season three will probably be an early Winter/Christmas release. And like I commented earlier, I think this will come to be looked at as BoBF being 4 episodes long and then 3 episodes of reminding people that Din and Grogu still exist. I am seeing more people calling episodes 5-7 as season 2.5 of The Mandalorian. And they had to keep all these appearances secret, so yes, at first it feels like Boba got cheated out of a full show, but time will change that perception.

MarkB

Legend
No Mando or Grogu means maybe having to go up to two years without them on-screen, since season three will probably be an early Winter/Christmas release. And like I commented earlier, I think this will come to be looked at as BoBF being 4 episodes long and then 3 episodes of reminding people that Din and Grogu still exist. I am seeing more people calling episodes 5-7 as season 2.5 of The Mandalorian. And they had to keep all these appearances secret, so yes, at first it feels like Boba got cheated out of a full show, but time will change that perception.
I just feel like Boba was cheated out of a good show. These last two episodes have hardly been action-packed, and yet they feel far more compelling than the previous four episodes featuring Boba - and I don't think that's all down to the Mandalorian characters being more established.

Somehow, while they weren't actively bad or dull, those first four episodes failed to gel into a compelling narrative that has me rooting for Boba or even really knowing what he's trying to achieve. And, as these last two episodes demonstrate, they have the writing and directing talent to pull that off, so it's doubly weird that they've failed to do so in Boba's episodes.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
I just feel like Boba was cheated out of a good show. These last two episodes have hardly been action-packed, and yet they feel far more compelling than the previous four episodes featuring Boba - and I don't think that's all down to the Mandalorian characters being more established.

Somehow, while they weren't actively bad or dull, those first four episodes failed to gel into a compelling narrative that has me rooting for Boba or even really knowing what he's trying to achieve. And, as these last two episodes demonstrate, they have the writing and directing talent to pull that off, so it's doubly weird that they've failed to do so in Boba's episodes.
I've said it before.... Have E1 be Boba coming out of the Sarlacc and his time with the Tuskens. Close the episode with him in full Boba of Arabia mode riding a Bantha. As a unified episode, that story works. It ups the stakes, building to the train, and introduces the Pykes as THE Big Bad.

Either that, or perhaps take a different tack completely. Yes, the stinger shows Boba killing Bib Fortuna. The first season could have had Bib as the main villain and then have been Boba taking down Bib. So then, at the end of S1, Boba has taken over Bib's criminal empire.

I don't think that this season was adequately planned out. Or perhaps it's trying to have Boba run before he walks.

Ryujin

Legend

As someone else mentioned previously, I think that there might have been more compelling character development for Fett if they had done the series in a more linear fashion. Show him with the Tuskens, learning the value of a family, first. Then show him building his own syndicate. Then it flows more naturally and feels earned.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Just thought Luke can't be to big on the old Jedi traditions.
My attempt at humor covered up the fact that I think your point is well made, really. Even moreso when you consider that the attachment between Luke and Anakin (against traditional Jedi ideas) is what saved Luke, ended the Empire, and redeemed Anakin. This is what made the lonely and detached Luke of the sequel trilogy so out of character for me. Though I suppose his portrayal in this episode is consistent with current canon, then. Sigh.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
As for those who wanted a full 7 episodes of Boba Fett, sorry you are disappointed; I am too, to some degree.

I do consider this to be a side chapter to The Mandalorian. It is called The Book of Boba Fett as it deals with Fett slightly more than Din, but I feel it is a story of Boba Fett and his role in relation to the ultimately larger legend/myth/story of Din Djarin. As I said earlier in the thread, calling the show a book gives it a legendary/religious feel, as recounted at some future time. Remember, all of this took place "a long time ago."

Remove ads