The Carbuncle

Cyronax

Explorer
I enjoyed reading a thread in the General Discussion about all the strange double entendre-named monsters. I ended up statting up 4e version of the Carbuncle. (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/297974-thats-not-armadillo-gem-its-head.html)

Yes its high level, but I wanted it to be a threat to my players' characters. I also found a great lower level version of the carbuncle here: Friday Funny (Monster): Carbuncle « Kobold Quarterly Magazine: Monsters and Magic for D&D Gamers

Carbuncle Level 11 Controller
Small aberrant magical beast (blind) XP 600
HP 117; Bloodied 59
AC 31; Fortitude 30; Reflex 20; Will 28
Speed 4, burrow 2
Immune gaze; Resist thunder
Initiative +9
Perception +10
Blindsight 10

Standard Actions

Sound Pulse (thunder) • At-Will
Attack: Ranged 10; +15 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + 6 thunder damage.

Feed (healing) • At-Will
Attack: Melee (one immobilized, restrained, or helpless creature); +15 vs. Fortitude
Hit: The target loses 1 healing surge and the carbuncle regains 10 hit points, and the target is stunned (save ends).

Shrieking Echo (thunder) • Recharge 5 6
Attack: Close blast 5; +14 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + 5 thunder damage, and the target is pushed 3 squares.

Triggered Actions
Thundrous Feedback (thunder) • At-Will
Effect (Immediate Interrupt): The attack deals half damage to the carbuncle and half to the triggering attacker. The damage taken becomes thunder damage.

Gem Burst (thunder) • Encounter
Attack (Immediate Interrupt): Close burst 2; +14 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 + 3 thunder damage, and the target is dazed (save ends).
First Failed Saving Throw: The target falls unconscious (save ends).

Skills Bluff +9, Stealth +14, Dungeoneering +10, Insight +10
Str 18 (+9) Dex 18 (+9) Wis 10 (+5)
Con 21 (+10) Int 8 (+4) Cha 16 (+8)
Alignment evil
Languages Deep Speech, The language of the mind

Equipment forehead gem

© 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved. This formatted statistics block has been generated using the D&D Adventure Tools.

Last edited:

Cyronax

Explorer
Have you thought about how to model the original carbuncle's tendency to create chaos and encourage fights?

Not in the version I posted here. This carbuncle I was building to become a servant of a greater evil. I had added some flavor text (that I didn't post here because my players would read it) to serve as a useful aid for forceful interrogations.

Picture a small be-gemmed armadillo feeding as a form of extremely painful torture, while a master monster interrogates.

I was thinking of something similar (but less invasive) to the 'ear wig' aliens from Wrath of Khan.

That said, I think the carbuncle that the Kobold Quarterly built fits that paradigm nicely. I also think its a cool low-level creature.

Remove ads