The chamberlain, the king, and the dragon (drobe)

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] , inbox is full.
Hey Manbearcat and [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION].

My copy of DW is downloading from DriveThru as I type. I'll look over it and write up a Thurgon.

There also seem to be some posts at the end of this thread that I need to catch up on, just to get a clear picture of how things ended up.

I should also warn - I'm heading into the last week of teaching, which means marking in the next few weeks. And I will have a lot of it. So between that and timezones and general distractions, my pace on this new scenario will probably not be blindingly fast. Not a reason not to start, just letting you know that we'll be moving steadily rather than rapidly.

Hey Manbearcat and @Campbell .

My copy of DW is downloading from DriveThru as I type. I'll look over it and write up a Thurgon.

There also seem to be some posts at the end of this thread that I need to catch up on, just to get a clear picture of how things ended up.

I should also warn - I'm heading into the last week of teaching, which means marking in the next few weeks. And I will have a lot of it. So between that and timezones and general distractions, my pace on this new scenario will probably not be blindingly fast. Not a reason not to start, just letting you know that we'll be moving steadily rather than rapidly.

Its perfectly fine by me. I'm not looking to move at any specific pace. Regardless, depending upon what scenes you two wish to begin with, there is a decent chance that the game will begin with some solo play and Dungeon World handles that well. Just a few things:

- You guys need to sort out whether you want to start a new thread with a Dungeon World header or just continue this thread. I'm indifferent.

- You guys need to figure out where you want to start this; do you want to start up where we left off or fast forward a bit and come to agreement on what has come to pass.

- The only real change to the system that I use is something to get Bolster into play. With the scheduling that it has embedded as its prereq and the pace that I tend to keep in my games, it wouldn't come up. Therefore, Bolster in my game moves up to:

Bolster
When you spend your leisure time in study, meditation, logistics, hard practice, or deliver a stirring speech to allies you gain preparation. If you prepare for an hour or more, take 1 preparation (1/day). If you prepare for a day or longer, take 3 instead. When your preparation pays off spend 1 preparation for +1 to any roll. You can only spend one preparation per roll.

- Lucann's character is done. However, we have to sort out

a) hirelings (mutable for companion) and magical items. @Campbell you have the Dryad as a hireling (companion). You get 6 points to spend on Loyalty and Skills and you need to sort out a Cost for her. I would probably choose something that helps to heal and something that helps on a Perilous Journey and perhaps one other. Every level, you'll get an extra 1 to add to Loyalty or to a skill.

b) magic items and coin. You should definitely have a longspear (use halberd for tags - Reach, + 1 damage, two-handed. This longspear should have another + 1 to damage (beyond its tags) and some cool Avenger-ey effect on a 10 + with H&S. Perhaps you transfer the emotion of your hatred or contempt for the creature to it. Perhaps you become locked in mortal combat and you each deal an extra + 1 damage to each other until one of you is dead. Longspear of Eternal Enmity or something. Beyond that weapon, create some sort of magical boon from Sehanine that you can spend 75 coin (as a mutable resource, a tithe or as component costs) for some kind of ritual or bonus that fits the character. You'll have 525 coin to spend outside of your starting stuff from your character.

- In the PM that didn't make its way through, I sent you a word doc primer with a bunch of stuff (but you won't need it!) and a quick and dirty version of Thurgon that you could use as a template (or completely disregard at your discretion). I'll include the template but sblock it here. Regardless of how you build him, pick any of the Lawful alignment statements from 33 that you want to work on, scribe your bonds (they can be anything, they don't have to be the starting ones. You're likely going to want to take plate. Use longsword tags for Craghammer and make a + 1 damage Craghammer with something appropriately thematic. Create a thematic divine boon @ 75 gold per use. Keep your Herald as is but divide points between Skill and Loyalty and create a cost. Same with King's Men if we're starting the game at that point.

[sblock]SAMPLE THURGON (LEVEL 6 HUMAN PALADIN OF KORD)

Str 16 (+2)
Con 16 (+2)
Dex 8 (- 1)
Int 9 (0)
Wis 14 (+1)
Cha 16 (+2)

HP 26
Damage d10 (+2 with Weight of the Iron Tower)
Armor + 4 (Plate armor and shield

Human
When you pray for guidance, even for a moment, and ask, "What here is evil?" the GM will tell you, honestly.

Paladin

Lay On Hands
When you touch someone, skin to skin, and pray for their well-being, roll + CHA. * On 10+ you heal 1d8 damage or remove one disease. * On a 7-9, they are healed, but the damage or disease is transferred to you.

Armored
You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear.

I Am the Law
When you give an NPC an order based on your divine authority, roll + CHA. * On a 7 +, they choose one:
- Do what you say
- Back away cautiously, then flee
- Attack you

* On a 10 +, you also take + 1 forward against them. * On a miss, they do as they please and you take - 1 forward against them.

Quest
When you dedicate yourself to a mission through prayer and ritual cleansing, state what you set out to do:

* Slay ___, a great blight on the land
* Defend ___ from the iniquities that beset them
* Discover the truth of ___

Then choose two boons:

* An unwavering sense of direction to ___
* Invulnerability to ___ (e.g., edged weapons, fire, enchantment, etc.)
* A mark of divine authority
* Senses that pierce lies
* A voice that transcends language
* A greedom from hunger, thirst, and sleep

The GM will then tell you what vow or vows is required of you to maintain your blessing:

* Honor (forbidden: cowardly tactics and tricks)
* Temperance (forbidden: gluttony in food, drink, and pleasure of the flesh)
* Piety (required: observance of daily holy services)
* Valor (forbidden: suffering an evil creature to live)
* Truth (forbidden: lies)
* Hospitality (required: comfort to those in need, no matter who they are)

Lawful
Choose honor over personal gain

Bonds
Choose 4 with various NPCs, PCs, Deities, places

Gear
Your load is 12+ STR. You start with dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight), a mark of faith, describe it (0 weight), and adventuring gear (1 weight). Your armor: Plate armor (3 armor, 4 weight) and shield (+ 1 armor, 2 weight). Your weapon: Craghammer (close, + 1 damage, 1 weight). 225 coins.

Transport
Horse - 75 coins, load 10

Magic Items

Kord's Boon - Honour and Glory! (cost 75 coins)
When the tide needs turning or you are against great numbers, if you Hack & Slash or Defend with a 10 +, you can rally; heal yourself or an ally of 10 damage or remove one debility, your choice.

Weight of the Iron Tower - Craghammer (close, + 2 damage, 1 weight).
When you bear this craghammer, you become a beacon of inspiration to all you lead. Any hirelings in your employ have +1 Loyalty, no matter the quality of your leadership.

Hirelings

Herald - When you need to know some matter of history, culture, heraldry, or courtly affairs, add this number to your Spout Lore rolls. When the audience would be moved by your legend or station and your herald announces your heroic deeds and noble titles, add the herald's skill score to your I Am the Law or Parley rolls. You have 6 points to split between Loyalty and these 3s Skills. Choose a Cost.

King’s Men (as Warriors) - If the game is fast forwarded past the present, then gain King's Men (as Warriors) at 6 total. Split between Loyalty and Skills and choose a Cost.

Charge
When you lead the charge into combat, those you lead take + 1 forward.

Bloody Aegis
When you take damage you can grit your teeth and accept the blow. If you do you take no damage but instead suffer a debility of your choice. If you already have all six debilities you can't use this move.

Voice of Authority
Take + 1 to order hirelings.

Holy Protection
You get + 1 armor while on a quest.

Ever Onward (Replaces: Charge!)
When you lead the charge into combat, those you lead take + 1 forward and + 2 armor forward
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] I'll have more for you later tonight. Shortly, I'll be going to the gym and when I get back need to get ready for a social outing. I've been busier than I would have hoped over my break because I need to focus on putting some legwork in to ensure I have a job when this summer semester ends in early August.

Remove ads