• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The chamberlain, the king, and the dragon (drobe)

Gotcha.

Do we have Action Points?

Edited to clarify as my text was a bit opaque. Basically:

1) If enemy adjacent to primary target, proceed to Cleave.

2) If no enemy adjacent to primary target, proceed to Cruel Cut.

Its basically a 3rd At-Will (a striker At-Will) with a conditional requirement (no emeny adjacent to your primary enemy).

Yes, if you haven't used an AP yet, you have 1.

sheadunne

Explorer
Sheadunne - I need you to resolve Polearm Gamble:

Benefit: When a nonadjacent enemy enters a square adjacent to you, you can make an opportunity attack with a polearm against that enemy, but you grant combat advantage to that enemy until the end of the enemy’s turn.

Remember that you have a bonus to your OAs equal to your Wisdom modifier (+ 4) but also remember you have a - 2 to hit due to partial concealment. They will have CA against you regardless so the above still stands. On your turn, you are dazed. You have an ability to clear that but if you do not (or it fails). Dazed means:

If Polearm Gamble is successful against Q1 then he will be in H2 and if successful against Q2 he will be in H5. Regardless, the above will still stand as you will be giving up CA to them (damage and dazed). I don't believe you have any other interrupt effects that would apply here.

Against Q1
Polearm Gamble: 19+4-2+14=(35)
Damage: 9+8=(17)

Against Q1
Polearm Gamble: 19+4-2+14=(35)
Damage: 9+8=(17)

Need Q2 as well please.

In the future, would you like me to resolve this interrupt action for you (if its tedious) or do you want to roll the dice, etc? This is one of the burdens of a PBP arrangement, unfrotunately. Off-turn actions (ridiculously simple in my home game) require a decent chunk of PBP overhead/coordination.

sheadunne

Explorer
Need Q2 as well please.

In the future, would you like me to resolve this interrupt action for you (if its tedious) or do you want to roll the dice, etc? This is one of the burdens of a PBP arrangement, unfrotunately. Off-turn actions (ridiculously simple in my home game) require a decent chunk of PBP overhead/coordination.

Sorry, hadn't realized it was against all targets. I'm used to 3x which is one OA per a round (without combat reflexes), not one against each target.

19+4-2+13=(34)
Damage: 9+2=(11)

It's the forum format. There isn't any forums designed to separate game mechanics from narration, which makes for a ridiculously long thread where half of the posts are mechanical in nature and have nothing to do with the actual narration. I'm surprised that no gamer has spent the time and energy to develop such a forum. (for instance, the main body posts could contain the narration, with the side bar used to roll and resolve mechanics, which would allows a fluid representation of the game without needing to reply to posts directly for action resolution. I should really brush up on my PHP and develop such a forum, since I run a few online games (although I ignore dice rolls completely in those games and work under a more +/- system that allows the narration to provide greater chances of success based on whether the players narrative their actions as successes or failures. The more successes they narrate the more complications that emerge between where they are and their final goal. The more failures they narrate the easier it is to resolve their current challenge and gain an easier access to their goals.) Sorry, side tangent. It's actually much easier for me to post when I'm at work than when I'm home (3 year old running around at home). It's a long weekend this week so my posting may be erratic.

Last edited:

Sorry, hadn't realized it was against all targets. I'm used to 3x which is one OA per a round (without combat reflexes), not one against each target.

19+4-2+13=(34)

No problem mate. Just a little 4e rules clarification for you:

Immediate Actions are once per round (like 3.x OA).

Opportunity Actions are an Immediate Interrupt (ocurring immediately prior to the triggering action) that can ocurr once per turn (so on each of the Quickling's turns).

You've hit so I need a separate damage roll for Q2.

If you would, please throw a little story out there for us.

It's the forum format. There isn't any forums designed to separate game mechanics from narration, which makes for a ridiculously long thread where half of the posts are mechanical in nature and have nothing to do with the actual narration. I'm surprised that no gamer has spent the time and energy to develop such a forum. (for instance, the main body posts could contain the narration, with the side bar used to roll and resolve mechanics, which would allows a fluid representation of the game without needing to reply to posts directly for action resolution. I should really brush up on my PHP and develop such a forum, since I run a few online games (although I ignore dice rolls completely in those games and work under a more +/- system that allows the narration to provide greater chances of success based on whether the players narrative their actions as successes or failures. The more successes they narrate the more complications that emerge between where they are and their final goal. The more failures they narrate the easier it is to resolve their current challenge and gain an easier access to their goals.) Sorry, side tangent. It's actually much easier for me to post when I'm at work than when I'm home (3 year old running around at home). It's a long weekend this week so my posting may be erratic.

Yup. I agree.

However, I think that we're doing pretty well all things considered. We've been very light on clarifications, corrections, etc. I screwed up @Campbell success earlier and I mistook @pemerton 's intent on his leap/positioning for the combat earlier. Outside of that its been pretty clean. When you consider:

1) I've never run a PBP before

2) We've never played with each other before and are therefore developing chemistry on the fly

3) We have varying levels of rules familiarity

I'll take our gameplay efforts here any day. There is a lot of staggered communication, low resolution leaps and assumptions (especially on my end) that have to be made to fascilitate our play. So its not easy. So I think we're doing just fine.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I'll type up my action and corresponding narrative when I get home in a couple hours. Invisible Castle seems to be down and all my dice are at home.

pemerton

Legend
when they would move from Melee 2 to Melee 1 range, they would trigger (i) Polarm Gamble and thus (ii) Combat Superiority; the latter of which possessing the effect of Wis bonus to hit on OAs and "hit ends foe's movement (if any) this action." So a successful hit would end the foe's Movement from Melee 2 to Melee 1 on this Move Action, thus leaving them at Melee 2 (and out of melee range for their dagger attack). However, they would still have a Standard Action remaining to deploy Quick Cuts which would let them move into flanking position and attack at - 2. Most creatures don't have an At-Will Standard Action that lets them move and attack. Our fair Quicklings do. They're rather great. Basically the ultimate Lurker/Skirmisher.
OK, that makes sense.

It makes me want to use quicklings. The polearm gamble fighter in my game also has the feat that lets him immobilise a marked target until the start of his next turn when he hits with a basic attack with a 2h weapon, which would stop the quicklings pulling off this trick more than once, but once would be better than not at all.

OK, that makes sense.

It makes me want to use quicklings. The polearm gamble fighter in my game also has the feat that lets him immobilise a marked target until the start of his next turn when he hits with a basic attack with a 2h weapon, which would stop the quicklings pulling off this trick more than once, but once would be better than not at all.

But wait! There's more! (I have no idea if this obnoxious infomercial meme is as pervasive, or at all, Down Under as it is in the states). Behold!

[h=2]Minor Actions[/h] Maintain Mobility
x.gif
Recharge
4a.gif
5a.gif
6a.gif

Effect: An immobilized quickling is no longer immobilized

Quicklings are basically the anti-Polearm Gamble brigade. If ever you want to truly challenge (frustrate?) your Fighter, "Release the Quicklings!"

LostSoul

Adventurer
Small note: Quinn actually moved out of the zone in his last turn - he's in F15, not F13.

He can use a healing surge on his turn. He'll probably try to bargain with the patron to end the zone, unless someone else asks for his aid. (I believe that the patron powers the spell, and unless the patron has a reason to end it, it's still going to be there.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads