• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The chamberlain, the king, and the dragon (drobe)

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
[MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] Just to confirm, you are using the Run Move Action this turn to get + 2 speed to give you speed 4 this turn (base speed of 2 for Slowed condition + 2 for Run). As such, you will be at - 5 to hit UtBoYNT (24 vs Reflex hits Thurgon's 24 Reflex) and give up Combat Advantage for the same duration.

[MENTION=386]LostSoul[/MENTION] Quinn is up.

Correct. At least you are now. Forgot the details of slowed. Should have asked.
[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] Let me know if I'm pushing too hard here.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Let me know if I'm pushing too hard here.
I was at 53 hp plus 10 temps.

28 damage sucks my temps and leaves me at 35, which I think is enough to last one more round.

"We have all broken accords - in this day and days past. The lady Syllustra, Maiden of the Grove has been returned to my lady - and to me. This rage is unbecoming of your station and your future role in restoring the relationship our people once had. For your own sake, and that of my wife I cannot allow you to continue this hostility. It is not your place to bring justice to the children of the forest."
Quoth Thurgon (as a free action):

You mistake my purpose. The "accords" are not my business, and I don't seek justice here. I don't intend to strike your wife - look for yourself, I've not even touched her!

<as per post 181, "morale" damage to the dyrad, not "lethal" damage>

But I must know the truth about the Iron Tower, and how your wife came to murder my commander.​

- Swarms 1 & 2

S1:

Standard: Fangs and Stingers @ Thurgon: Roll(1d20)+13: 6,+13. Total:19 vs Ref 24 (miss)
Passed Save vs Immobilized: Roll(1d20)+0: 13,+0. Total:13
5 cold (+ 10 for AoE vuln) = 15 cold damage from Swarm of Shadows (save ends)

S2:

Standard: Fangs and Stingers @ Thurgon: Roll(1d20)+13: 10,+13. Total:23 vs Ref 24 (miss)
Failed Save vs Immobilized: Roll(1d20)+0: 9,+0. Total:9

The venomous spiders and centipedes of the swarms are of a singular mind; consume. Thurgon is much more than just a tasty meal and is up to the task. The knight's courage and determination steal him against enemies on all sides.

@LostSoul Quinn is up and, as you mentioned, you are outside of Swarm of Shadows. You can easily enough behold all that is happening here (including Theron's skirmish in the foliage). @pemerton Thurgon is up after that. For every Swarm you are adjacent to at the start of your turn, you take 8 poison damage (currently that is both.). This is a holy place and these waters specifically are so enchanted. Pemerton and @Campbell , you are both priests. While in or adjacent to the waters, as a standard action, you can use the pool's holy waters as a limited use attack on your enemies within the pool, requiring a successful Religion check at the Medium DC; L + 3 vs Fort; 15 mean Radiant damage (2d10 + 4; miss half) and you and any allies within the pool regain hit points equal to your level (25 % budget each on AoE and heal rider).

I'll check back in at the beginning of next round.

Last edited:

Earlier, @Campbell had inquired about the prospect of continuing beyond the initial proposition; an actual session dedicated to playing out, and thus creating an example, of the type of conflict resolution espoused in the Fighters vs Wizards thread:

1) The Indie ethos of "Drive Play Toward Conflict - Every moment of play, roll dice or say yes."

2) Default low resolution setting, on the cusp of "No Myth", with setting established concurrently or retroactively through play.

3) Techniques invoking player authorial control to retroactively establish (i) backstory and (ii) components of emergent content that add to the conflict.

We're rounding 3rd and heading Home so we're not done yet but, suffice to say, I'm hopeful that we've provided a clear example of that with our efforts here.

Back to Campbell's proposition. After we have resolved the Chamberlain and King conflict, there is still the Dragon. Are you guys wanting to carry on and resolve the conflict with the siege and the Dragon? If so, by the time we are finished with the Chamberlain and the King, you all will have earned between 3200 and 3500 XP. 13th level requires 7 K. I'd like to go ahead and allow for you guys being halfway through level 12 prior to play. Therefore, if you guys want to move on to resolve the siege and Dragon conflict, I'd like you guys to level to 13 (that would facilitate a rebuild of Quinn, accounting for the new bargain and would assist me by allowing for minimal overhead with just a reskinning of a level 13 Solo Dragon I have).

Are you guys wanting to extend further and continue beyond that? If so, we would need to work up Minor and Major Quests.

I'm fine with any of the 3 options (stopping post Chamberlain/King as it is sufficient as an example, resolving the siege and the Dragon, extending beyond that).

sheadunne

Explorer
I'm fine with any of the 3 options (stopping post Chamberlain/King as it is sufficient as an example, resolving the siege and the Dragon, extending beyond that).

My only concern is the format. It has been difficult for me to get a good grasp on what is happening mechanically versus narrative. This isn't a result of us, but rather the format (forum based).

Since I doubt it would be easy for us to actually game in real time (time zone differences being the biggest issue I would imagine), I think I would need some way in which our posts can flow with more organization. The components of that are: Mechanics, Narration, and Questions/Answers. I'm not sure the best way to resolve that, but I feel it needs to be for me to continue beyond this session (which has been enjoyable but a lot of work, flipping back and forth through posts to be able to figure everything out).

I guess some questions would be:

a) Is En World the best place to host the game? For instance, I could easily put up a PHPBB (because it's free) or similar forum on my website. I'm not sure it would add anything other than each scene could contain it's own thread and character information could be separated out. Manbearcat would also have full control over the information (I'm not sure how much you have here).

b) If questions could be asked and answered within the same post as opposed to replying in a separate post, that may cut down on the number of posts. I know some of this was used in the beginning.

c) A way to clearly separate the mechanics from the narration. Either using the quote code for the narration and keeping the mechanics below or something similar.

D) Anything else?

Quinn will take his second wind. That's pretty much it.

Sustaining VoA with your Minor Action I presume or no? You can just edit your prior post with your response.

@sheadunne Some things to consider. Format is, of course, key. I've tried a few different things to differentiate mechanics from narrative output but clearly it hasn't knocked it out of the park. I think we can square away the format issues though (be it a concurrent thread with rules questions or quote-blocking narrative output for siloing).

@pemerton Thurgon is up.

pemerton

Legend
Thurgon is up.
I can't act until I learn from [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] what, if anything, Lucann is saying in reply.

Also, in case my rather dry reply upthread (about hit point totals) was unambiguous, Campbell, you're fine and not pushing too far. I just need to know what you're sayign to Thurgon (if anything).

As to the issue of continuing on, at this stage I'm not sure that Thurgon and Lucann are both going to make it out of this grotto!

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Lucann eyes pierce into Thurgon: "The Accords are all of our business. As leader of the Iron Tower you are as bound to them as I. However enough blood has been spilled in this sacred grove. If you will lay down arms I am willing to do the same. You are my brother - not my enemy, but I cannot allow you to strike my wife mere moments after She Who Walks the Woods of the World has restored her to her former beauty and grace. Sehanine has seen to her restoration. As such she is under my protection. I believe the time has come for a delegation of my cousins to join us - then and only then can such matters be resolved."
[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] - Thurgon has a choice to make. He can continue his direct line of questioning and attack which would force Lucann's hand or he can submit to Lucann's offer of diplomatic proceedings with the Eladrin with the possibility of forming an alliance.

Last edited:

Remove ads