The chamberlain, the king, and the dragon (drobe)

Ok. Quinn is in position for a geronimo swan dive next round (taking the patron's impact on this world with him). B15 puts him at 10 ft (2 squares) from the 100 ft precipice. Right now, given his positioning, he is a hit attack against his fort and a failed saving throw away from going over the edge (hazard attacks at beginning of next round). Again, the edge is the Y-axis of the map. The formal entry and egress path out of the Royal Garden (to tower of Royal Chamber) is to the north at J and K.

Please make sure everyone acquaints themselvse with the hazards mechanics, immediate action countermeasures, et al. You can invoke your own Standard Action countermeasures (Nature for primal spirits of the water, Religion for the divinity of this place, etc) and attack the hazard or some such but let me know.

[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] Thurgon can act at his discretion and then round 6 will begin, starting with the hazard encompassing the area and attacking everyone.

pemerton

Legend
As best I can tell from map and description, I am not in difficult terrain. And the zone doesn't seem to hurt me if I enter it after the start of my turn.

Assuming all that to be so, I run 7 squares to C 14, adjacent to Quinn. I want to grab hold of him as a minor action (is that allowed? the rules on grabbing friends have never been clear to me, but picking up an adjacent object is normally a minor action).

That leaves me a standard action. I run 3 squares, pulling Quinn along with me, to C11 (I don't want to start next turn in a slow zone).

If Quinn won't let me grab him as a minor action then that changes things a bit - [MENTION=386]LostSoul[/MENTION], feedback required here.

By my calculations Quinn has 25 hp left, so I will have to knock some sense into him with a gentle tap of my judgemental mace (not an illusion!): Paladin's Judgement, +18 vs AC. A roll of 15 hits AC 33, -5 for running = 28, which I assume is still enough (my paladin AC is only 31). Damage is 3d8+16 = 27, plus an ally can spend a healing surge: Quinn, you can have a HS of hp back and hopefully will have come to your senses.

So I finish the turn either in C14 adj to Quinn in B15, or in C11 with Quinn behind me in B12.

As far as I can tell I didn't take any damage that round and so still have 50/98 hp, 8/13 surges.

EDIT: LostSoul, I'm a bit action-starved. Next round if you're still slowed I can give you a free save at +2.

Last edited:

As best I can tell from map and description, I am not in difficult terrain. And the zone doesn't seem to hurt me if I enter it after the start of my turn.

Assuming all that to be so, I run 7 squares to C 14, adjacent to Quinn. I want to grab hold of him as a minor action (is that allowed? the rules on grabbing friends have never been clear to me, but picking up an adjacent object is normally a minor action).

Picking up adjacent opbject would apply to grab an adjacent, nonhostile creature. You'll still need to upkeep with a sustain minor each round (as with the normal grab rules).

So I finish the turn either in C14 adj to Quinn in B15, or in C11 with Quinn behind me in B12.

As far as I can tell I didn't take any damage that round and so still have 50/98 hp, 8/13 surges.

EDIT: LostSoul, I'm a bit action-starved. Next round if you're still slowed I can give you a free save at +2.

I'll resolve the hazard's attacks in a post below but I'll wait until LostSoul chimes in on if he resists you or not before I make the map.

Resolving the Watery Grave Hazard's attacks on everyone for this round. The entirety of the map will be covered in high velocity, hip deep water, moving from East to West (Right to Left on the map), pushing creatures toward the precipice at the boundary of the y-axis. If your character reaches the square beyond the visible map, I'll need a saving throw. Success equals prone. Failure equals going over the edge.

@Campbell , @LostSoul , @pemerton , @sheadunne . If any one is going to spend their immediate action for the round on a Countermeasure (see hazard or propose another), please do so now (mechanics and fiction). After this is done, I'll formally start the rest of the round and attach new map.

Damage this round:

[sblock]
Roll(1d10)+5:
2,+5
Total: 7.

7 damage if you are hit by the Hazard this round. Miss = half. Crit = 15.
[/sblock]

Lucann

[sblock]
Roll(1d20)+15:
10,+15
Total:25

Hit. 7 damage + 4 squares to the left + prone.
[/sblock]

Dryad

[sblock]
Roll(1d20)+15:
14,+15
Total:29

Hit. 7 damage + 4 squares to the left + prone.
[/sblock]

Although tumultuous flooding takes them from their feet, tosses them this way and that toward the edge of the garden and oblivion, the elf and the dryad's embrace is not undone.

Theron

[sblock]
Roll(1d20)+15:
20,+15
Total:35

Crit. 15 damage + 4 squares to the left + prone.
[/sblock]

The force of the water wrenches free one of the stone benches of the garden, carrying it into the back of Theron's legs, taking them from him along with his breath. The furious water carries him aloft.

Swarm 2

[sblock]
Roll(1d20)+15:
10,+15

Hit. 17 (+ 10 AoE vuln) damage + 4 squares to the left + prone.
[/sblock]

Its illusory meal freshly torn from its hive mind, the harsh reality of its bleak future sets upon the swarm of creatures. The meal in its mind was likely its last.

Quinn

[sblock]
Roll(1d20)+15:
4,+15
Total:19

Miss. 3 damage (on a miss!) + 2 squares to the left.
[/sblock]

Thurgon

[sblock]
Roll(1d20)+17:
8,+17

Miss. 3 damage (on a miss!) + 2 squares to the left.
[/sblock]

Thurgon's tight grip on Quinn's robes and his stout faith keep them from the precarious edge...barely. Quinn may not believe in manifest destiny but its no small miracle that he isn't hurtling to his doom.

I'll wait until until the afternoon for folks to take a look at the situation and see if they want to spend their immediate actions of this round on deployment of Athletics, Nature (or other) Countermeasures. If not, then I'll update the map with he positioning post-Hazard attack (will assume Quinn doesn't resist Thurgon's efforts to drag him to safety), will attach it to this post, and it will be Lucann's turn.

*** UPDATE. I've updated the map with relevant positioning and features. I'm working off the premise of Quinn not resisting Thurgon. Please acquaint yourselves with the hazard, stock (immediate action) Countermeasures, etc. The furious water has thrown @Campbell and @sheadunne into the Swarm of Shadows zone. Starting there confers 5 cold damage and the condition of slowed (save ends) upon you. Remember, you can also invoke Countermeasure immediate actions on your own turns if your efforts to move through the Challenging Terrain of the Hazard fails and you are hit by its Opportunity Attack.

ROUND 6

@LostSoul and @pemerton :

With their heads still above water and their feet still set beneath them, Quinn and Thurgon behold a grim sight cutting the air far up the mountain, aloft above the shattered dam; giant leathery wings at full length, great tail flowing behind it...the gravelly, bass of a roar echoes off the mountain stone.

Zone

[sblock]If you look at the map, there is a gold square centered on G11. This is bad (a place of flitting, moaning black specters, whose voices chills you to the bone and freezes your body with lethergy:

Swarming Shadows: a zone until the end of the encounter. Any creature that starts its turn within the zone takes 5 cold damage and is slowed (save ends).[/sblock]

Terrain Features

[sblock]
1) Brambleweed: Feywild-borne finger-length thorns, sharp and sturdy enough to rend flesh. The plant’s thick vines spread across an area, hindering any who enter it.

Effect: Brambleweed squares are difficult terrain. A creature that starts its turn in a brambleweed square takes 5 damage. A creature that ends its turn in a brambleweed square is restrained until the start of its next turn. Creatures with "forest walk" are immune to it.

The squares that fir trees inhabit all have Brambleweed. It is hindering terrain and you may choose to make a saving throw to fall prone just outside of those squares should you be forced moved into the area.

Directly to the West is:

2) A steep, 100 ft cliff overlooking the city proper. This is the cliff that Quinn's lackey just took a nosedive off. You may choose to make a saving throw to fall prone just outside of those squares should you be forced moved into the area.

3) The fir trees are blocking terrain. They can be climbed at the easy DC (14) but refer to 1 (Brambleweed).

4) The path at the north, at J/K1, leads out of the garden and toward 2 paths; one spiraling upwards, eventually leading to the tower entrance of the Royal Chambers and the second leads down to the rear courtyard of the Royal Grounds.
[/sblock]

Hazard - The turquoise shading on the map is the pervasive flooding of the Watery Grave! Hazard. The Hazard now encompass the entirety of the garden. Please note 2 above. The X-Axis point "A" is the boundary line of the precipice.

[sblock]
WATERY GRAVE!

The Hazard activates on its initiative.

Attack - Standard Action on the Hazard's Initiative.
Target: All creatures in hazard.
Attack: +15 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d10 + 5 damage, and the target is pushed 4 squares (West) and knocked prone.
Miss: Half damage and the target is pushed 2 squares (West).
Effect: The Hazard is Challenging Terrain as below:

1) As a Move Action, you can make an Acrobatics check vs Medium DC (20) to move with the current (West) at your speed.

2) As a Move Action, you can make an Athletics check vs Medium DC (20) to move perpendicular (North or South) to the current at half your speed or the Hard DC (28) to move at your speed.

3) As a Move Action, you can make an Athletics check vs the Hard DC (28) to move at half your speed against the current (East).

Failure at any of the above triggers the Hazard's Opportunity Action:

Opportunity Action
Trigger: A creature fails at a Move Action while in the hazard.
Attack: + 15 vs. Fortitude
Hit: The target is pushed 2 squares (West) and knocked prone.

Countermeasures:

Athletics Medium/Hard DC: A character can reduce the distance it is pushed by 1 or 2 squares with a successful check (immediate reaction).

Nature Medium/Hard DC: A character can reduce the distance an ally is pushed by 1 or 2 squares with a successful check (immediate action).
[/sblock]

INITIATIVE ORDER

Hazard
C - Lucann
D - Dryad
T - Theron
S1 & S2 - Swarms
L - Quinn
P - Thurgon

Actions:

- Hazard:

The water pours in with unbridled fury, threatening to take anything and all not rooted in place over the precipice, down, ever down to a water grave!

The mechanical resolution for each creature within the hazard is outlined at the top of the post.

- Lucann

@Campbell You are up Lucann. You and your lover, hands clasped are in the raging torrent, heading toward the edge. As above, you take 7 damage and are prone in your square (4 squares toward the precipice). You are also in SoS. See the Hazard info for attempts to move through the Challenging Terrain.

I've marked the map with a few relevant bits for clarity. If anyone has any questions after reading the hazard and other dynamics in play here, let me know.

Attachments

• COMBAT ENCOUNTER ROUND 6.pdf
    576.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Campbell may be a bit tied up so for expediency I'm going to resolve S2 (the only creature of consequence for resolution right now) and all of you guys can spend your suite of actions for this round at your discretion.

[sblock]
+ 10 Athletics

Run as Move Action = + 2 to Speed but - 5 to hit and gives up Combat Advantage until start of its next turn

So Speed 10 and it will go with option 2:

2) As a Move Action, you can make an Athletics check vs Medium DC (20) to move perpendicular (North or South) to the current at half your speed.

Roll(1d20)+10:
8,+10
Total:18; Failure against DC 20. Swarm stays in D14 and the Hazard attacks:

Opportunity Action
Trigger: A creature fails at a Move Action while in the hazard.
Attack: + 15 vs. Fortitude
Hit: The target is pushed 2 squares (West) and knocked prone.

Roll(1d20)+17:
18,+17
Total: 35; Succeeds against Fort 22. Swarm pushed to B14 and is knocked prone.

Move Action: Crawl (move whie prone at half speed) at Speed 2 down to B16, adjacent to tree.

Roll(1d20)+10:
17,+10
Total:27; Succeeds against DC 20. Swarm to B16 and prone.
[/sblock]

The roiling mass of insects is tossed in the churning water as it seeks refuge in the fir trees

Due to the medium, I'm going to put all the rolls up front for folks should they be needed on your respective turn.

Please note, the first time on your turn that you fail to achieve the requisite check (likely Athletics, Medium or Hard; see the Hazard for relevant info), your move action fails in your beginning square and you are attacked by the Hazard's Opportunity Attack. As the Hazard can OA only once per turn, any subsequent move action (while still subject to the failure vs DC and therefore, loss of move action) failure will not provoke an OA.

@Campbell The Dryad will be spending her action to Aid you in whatever you do (Acrobatics, Athletics, Nature, Religion). You receive a + 2 bonus to your first check. If you are attacked by the Hazard, your result is:

Roll(1d20)+15:
1,+15
Total:16 Miss.

@Theron If you are attacked by the Hazard, your result is:

Roll(1d20)+15:
10,+15
Total:25 Miss. If you are still prone when you provoke the OA (Crawl action giving up CA) or Run, it will be 27 and hit; pushed 2 squares left and Prone.

@Quinn If you are attacked by the Hazard, your result is:

Roll(1d20)+15:
7,+15
Total:22 Miss. If you Run, it will be 24 and hit; pushed 2 squares left and Prone. I would need a Saving Throw if it pushed you over the edge, failure meaning you're taking a (dirtnap) plunge.

@pemerton If you are attacked by the Hazard, your result is:

Roll(1d20)+17:
7,+ 15
Total:22 Miss.

Looks like the Force is with you guys.

Last edited:

sheadunne

Explorer
[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION], here goes (let me know if anything is off).

Theren, tumbled down into the flood of water and coughed and choked for breath. He had always feared the water and its destructive nature. He had managed to avoid it for most of his life, but now it had caught up to him. He pushed himself out of the water and glanced quickly at his comrades. He had no idea how he would help them and the instinct to run was strong. He could not impale the water on his spear. It was a force too strong for him. He saw the trees and the trail leading back up to the castle. He knew he could push himself to make it, at least to the trees. The trees did not fear the flood. The others would have to make it on their own. There were larger forces at play than friendship.

Slowed
Ignore Weakness/Necklace of Fate: 6+5+3=14

Run Action
Knack for Success: +4 bonus to Athletics
Athletics Check: 15+4+14=(33)

Ending Location: L1

Current HP: 49/97
Current Surges: 11/12

Last edited:

@Manbearcat , here goes (let me know if anything is off).
Ending Location: L1

Move Action to stand up from prone at the beginning I assume.

Everything looks good save for one thing. Climbing costs you an extra square of movement so you can get out of the water by climbing into the trees, but the furthest North you can get is L2 with a speed of 8. Your Athletics score auto-passes the Easy DC for the climb in the trees so you don't need to make a check. You will take 5 damage at the start your next turn (and any subsequent where you start your turn in the trees) in those trees due to the Brambleweed.

Sound good?

pemerton

Legend
Thurgon needs to get to D9, with Quinn at D10, at which point if the water washes him and Quinn away it will wash us into the bramblethorn (? I think ) rather than over the edge. I will sustain the grab as a minor action. That will put me into the swarm's aura, but I can't see any way of avoiding that.

The only way I can see to do it is to enter B10 by moving diagonally, drag myself through the trees/brambleweed in B10 & C10, then move out diagonally to D9. Quinn will be draged through B11 and C11, then diagonally into D10.

Moving east is at half-speed for water initially, then DT/climbing, and dragging Quinn is half speed, so if I double run (speed 7 X 2 = 14, /2 = 7, / 2 =3), then I think we can make it - [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION], have I factored in all the relevant penalties to movement?

Assuming that I have, the Athletics check is at +16 skill bonus, with a d20 roll of 1 for a total of 17. That's clearly not going to be enough, but we don't get washed over the edge.

OK, change of plan for second move action: I have 1 square of movement (7 or 5 - it doesn't matter - divided by 2 = 3 or 2, divided by 2 = 1). I will move into A10 and drag Quinn to A11, where it looks like there might be a tree between him and the edge. My Athletics check for this manoeuvre is a 5 on the d20, +16 = 21. This looks like enough for northward movement.

So I think I am in A10, restrained by brambleweed and taking 5 damage at the start of my turn (which will take me to 45/98 hp, 8/13 surges).
[MENTION=386]LostSoul[/MENTION], I still don't have a spare action to give you a bonus save vs slow, I'm sorry. But hopefully all the water will reduce the incendiary properties of the trees for when the dragon gets here!

Remove ads