The chamberlain, the king, and the dragon (drobe)

pemerton

Legend
Thurgon is at 35 hp, takes 5 OG poison > 30 hp, then takes 16 swarm aura damage > 14 hp.

I will attack the swarms with Arc of Vengeance, but not Lucann or the Dryad.

+18 vs AC: vs S1 roll 19 > hit vs AC 37 for 2d8+14 + 10 vul = 33 damage; vs S2 roll 5 > hit vs AC 23 for 33 damage.

Both are subject to my divine sanction until the end of my next turn. And both take 12 radiant damage (= 2 +10 vul) if they deal damage to me or an ally (save ends).

As a minor action I will heal myself with Inspiring Word (speakig a prayer to Kord): that takes me down to 8 surges, and I regain 24 +3d6 = 36, taking me back up to 50 hp and unbloodied once again.

As a move action I will shift one out of the swarm aura if I can. If this requires an Athletics check to drag myself out of the water, my roll is 16 skill + 20 = 36.

My plan for next round is to help Theren (if any help is needed) with Paladin's Judgement so I can heal an ally.

pemerton

Legend
Manbearcat said:
Athletics check is well beyond the DC for the challenging terrain of the water. Shifting you to J12 out of the water (out of auras and out of SoS zone).
Good news.

Also, save vs OG poison: d20 roll is 16, so I shrug it off.

*** Swarm 1 is now bloodied after Thurgon's assault.

ROUND 5

Lucann and Quinn have turned an enemy sworn against them, this city, and all of human civilization. Theron has dispatched a Quickling with the fury honed on a hundred fields of battle. Thurgon is fearless and implacable, upholding the standards the God of Battle and his position would hold him to. The heroes appear to be rallying...

Summer meltwater from the glacier at the top of the Kingsmount gathers in the great reservoir that overlooks the city. The reservoir is the lifeblood of the city, feeding its occupants and, via an aqueduct system, it serves as the precipitant for the fine harvests of the terraced farms on the Eastern face . The meltwater tamely overflows a dam (an engineering marvel of this era constructed hundreds of years ago at this city’s birth) and meanders down into this very pool in this blessed garden. It is a spectacle to behold that all the city admires from their worm's eye view of it.

A sickening clatter far up on the mountain can mean only one thing and the terrible sound of furious torrent confirms your suspicions. Something has compromised the dam and the the waters now explode in a thunderous roar, crashing into the earth, menacing this Holy Garden to ruin, threatening to drown the city below. The alpine fir trees cut a path up the mountainside, resolving themselvesa at their temperature stressed treeline at the edge of the glacier...where the reservoir...and whatever has ruined the dam...resides.

Zone

[sblock]If you look at the map, there is a gold square centered on G11. This is bad (a place of flitting, moaning black specters, whose voices chills you to the bone and freezes your body with lethergy:

Swarming Shadows: a zone until the end of the encounter. Any creature that starts its turn within the zone takes 5 cold damage and is slowed (save ends).[/sblock]

Terrain Features

[sblock]
1) Brambleweed: Feywild-borne finger-length thorns, sharp and sturdy enough to rend flesh. The plant’s thick vines spread across an area, hindering any who enter it.

Effect: Brambleweed squares are difficult terrain. A creature that starts its turn in a brambleweed square takes 5 damage per tier. A creature that ends its turn in a brambleweed square is restrained until the start of its next turn. Creatures with "forest walk" are immune to it.

The squares that those trees inhabit all have Brambleweed. It is hindering terrain and you may choose to make a saving throw to fall prone just outside of those squares should you be forced moved into the area.

Directly to the West is:

2) A steep, 100 ft cliff overlooking the city proper. This is the cliff that Quinn's lackey just took a nosedive off. You may choose to make a saving throw to fall prone just outside of those squares should you be forced moved into the area.

3) The fluorescent green squares are various wild (or Feywild harvested) flora of many varieties; flowers, ferns, bushes, et al. They all come up to the knees (sometimes up to the thigh) of a medium sized creature and offer partial concealment to small creatures. The tangling nature of the flora make these squares challenging terrain. Moving through them requires an Athletics check at Medium DC (20) or Acrobatics check at Easy DC (14). Failure in this check means your movement action is spent and you are in the first square of the challenging terrain.

4) The trees are blocking terrain. They can be climbed at the easy DC (14) but refer to 1 (Brambleweed).

5) The path at the north, at J/K1, leads out of the garden and toward a path that spirals upward, eventually leading to the tower entrance of the Royal Chambers.
[/sblock]

Hazard - The turquoise shading on the map is the pervasive flooding of the Watery Grave! Hazard. At the beginning of the next round, the hazard will encompass the entirety of the garden. Please note 2 above. The X-Axis point "A" is the boundary line of the precipice.

[sblock]
WATERY GRAVE!

The Hazard activates on its initiative.

Attack - Standard Action on the Hazard's Initiative.
Target: All creatures in hazard.
Attack: +15 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d10 + 5 damage, and the target is pushed 4 squares (West) and knocked prone.
Miss: Half damage and the target is pushed 2 squares (West).
Effect: The Hazard is Challenging Terrain as below:

1) As a Move Action, you can make an Acrobatics check vs Medium DC (20) to move with the current (West) at your speed.

2) As a Move Action, you can make an Athletics check vs Medium DC (20) to move perpendicular (North or South) to the current at half your speed or the Hard DC (28) to move at your speed.

3) As a Move Action, you can make an Athletics check vs the Hard DC (28) to move at half your speed against the current (East).

Failure at any of the above triggers the Hazard's Opportunity Action:

Opportunity Action
Trigger: A creature fails at a Move Action while in the hazard.
Attack: + 15 vs. Fortitude
Hit: The target is pushed 2 squares (West) and knocked prone.

Countermeasures:

Athletics Medium/Hard DC: A character can reduce the distance it is pushed by 1 or 2 squares with a successful check (immediate reaction).

Nature Medium/Hard DC: A character can reduce the distance an ally is pushed by 1 or 2 squares with a successful check (immediate action).
[/sblock]

INITIATIVE ORDER

Hazard
Q2 - Quickling
M - Minion Feygrove Chokers
C - Lucann
D - Dryad
T - Theron
S1 & S2 - Swarms
L - Quinn
P - Thurgon

Actions:

- Hazard:

The water pours in with unbridled fury, threatening to take anything and all not rooted in place over the precipice, down, ever down to a water grave!

- Quicklings:

The remaining Quickling's Stealth check is at 28, beyond any Passive Perception. If you want to attempt to spot him, you'll need to spend a Minor Action. He commits no aggressive actions on this turn.

Perhaps rattled by the death of his cohort or by the onrushing torrent, the second Quickling is nowhere to be found...

- Minion Feygrove Chokers

The Minion Feygrove Choker in C10 Spider Climbs to F3 (yes, those trees branches overlap or are adjacent) and attacks Theron, attempting to pull him into the Brambleweed-covered trees.

Roll(1d20)+17; 5+17
Total: 22 vs AC 34; Miss

The Minion Feygrove Choker in L3 attacks Theron, attempting to pull him into the Brambleweed-covered trees.

Roll(1d20)+17; 10+17
Total: 27 vs AC 34; Miss

Finally feeling the rhythm of the battle and breaking a sweat in the cool night air, Theren's defensive posture and warding-imbued Greatspear is any easy match for the Fey stalkers in the trees. He effortlessly deflects their assault.

- Lucann

@Campbell You are up Lucann. As you likely have questions about her status, for our purposes here, the Dryad is going to be dazed until the end of the encounter. If you want to move her, the grab rules for a helpless ally will be in play; The creature can move up to half its speed and pull the target with it. If you get an assist, you can move her at the speed of the lowest speed (which would assuredly be the aiding party).

If anyone has any questions after reading the hazard and other dynamics in play here, let me know.

Attachments

• COMBAT ENCOUNTER ROUND 5.pdf
    487.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Still under the sway of the gripping shadow magic of his lover's former patron, Lucann places his spear on his back and finds his way to his wife. Lucann touches her face where his spear bit into, and tears run down his face into the waters below. Sehanine is touched by the gesture and the warmth of her embrace falls upon the lovers. The torrent of love and guilt at the sight of bueaty tarnished wreaks havoc upon the primal spirits of the swarms contained in the water.

Lucann speaks: "Whatever happens, know that I have truly seen you for the first time. I am better for it and bear no regrets. Neither should you."

As he speaks, Lucann feels the grip of the shadows within him recede.

[sblock= Mechanics]
Minor Action: Sheathe spear.
Move Action: 2 Squares to J13
Standard Action: Sanctify the Pool
  • Religion: 1d20+15 = 28
  • Dryad and Lucann healed for 12 hp each.
  • Attack on S1: 1d20+15 (31) vs Fort - 2d10+4(6) damage + 10 damage for vulnerability.
  • Attack on S2: 1d20+15 (17) vs Fort - (2d10+4)/2 [6.5] damage + 10 damage for vulnerability.

hp 44/92
    Surges: 5/8

Save vs. Slow: 17
[/sblock]

Last edited:

- Dryad

Move Action to stand (dazed until the end of the encounter)

Feeling the warmth of her lost lover's touch and the true blessing of her lost Goddess actually coursing through her, she smiles a sincere smile for the first time in an age. She embraces Lucann and whispers "If die I must, this is how I would have it."

[MENTION=27570]sheadunne[/MENTION] Theron is up.

sheadunne

Explorer
Theren is annoyed at the arrival of the Chokers. The remaining Quickling disappeared into the woods. He would rather chase it but the arrival of the Chokers was more immediate. Time enough for killing quicklings. He glanced over at Thurgon who appeared to be alive, but why hadn't he dispatch the Dryad? The Chokers remained out of reach of his great spear. He needed them closer.

Come and Get It (Burst 3): 19+11+1=31 (Damage: 4)
Come and Get It (Burst 3): 19+10+1=30 (Damage: 6)

I'm assuming this works against the minions? If not (i.e. damage doesn't kill them), I'll still do it and end my turn with them adjacent.

If it works and they're dead, I'll spend my move action to move to K9 and find out what's up.

Last edited:

@sheadunne Correct. Close Burst 3 gets them both and you your Attack hits.

The Chokers, sensing they have their prey in a trap and overcome by hunger, spring from their perches in the trees. The ruse is complete. One pounces headlong onto Theron's spear, skewering itself. The second has its spindly long arm torn from its body in a spinning, follow-up stroke. His quickstep toward Thurgon reveals the source of what he hears; a giant wall of water is encroaching the garden, he and his companions soon to be in its epicenter.

- Swarms 1 & 2

S1:

Move Action + Standard Action to Run (slowed speed of 2 + 2 for run). The swarm of spiders and centipdes skitters up the tree and is in C9.

5 cold (+ 10 for AoE vuln) = 15 cold damage from Swarm of Shadows
Passes Save vs Swarm of Shadows : Roll(1d20)+0: 17,+0. Total:17
Fails Save vs AoV Divine Sanction: Roll(1d20)+0: 4,+0. Total:4

S2:

Immobilized (from Quinn's VoA) with no targets to attack.
Passes Save vs Immobilized: Roll(1d20)+0: 13,+0. Total:13

Separated by their autonomous hive minds, the first swarm maintains its instinct for survival over its overwhelming instinct to feed. The armor-clad Knight is no meal. He promises only death and the tasty morsel that has just presented itself will force the swarm to put itself in far too much peril. The much diminished swarm sees its end in the wake of the rushing waters. As the darting, moaning phantoms from the shadowfell haunt it, it speeds toward the safetfy of a nearby tree.

The second swarm is not so lucky. Still consumed by its visions of the perfect meal, the creature voraciously attacks the ample side of decaying meat...only to have the apparation vanish, too late...the watery death will soon be upon it.

@LostSoul Quinn is up.

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
Quinn drags himself away from the onrushing torrent as fast as he can, trying to rub life back into his frozen legs, but the chill will not leave him. Perhaps his new dark patron is working its will upon him...

[sblock=Mechanics]
Standard action: Move to D15
Move action: Move to B15
Saving Throw (1d20=1)[/sblock]

Edit: You know what, I think I'm screwed here. Let's let the water wash me over the side and take the patron's connection to this world with it.

"It doesn't matter," Quinn says, bracing for the onslaught. "Life is just an illusion."

Last edited:

Left border (West) of the map (just to the left of the number labelled Y-axis) is the precipice (100 ft drop) from which Quinn's lackey took his swan-dive. That area is not so good to be at right now. The rushing torrent is flowing from East to West, thereby the "push" effect is going that way. Doesn't appear that I made that clear so just wanted to reiterate. LostSoul will retcon his action. Once that is done Thurgon [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] is up.

Did a little tidying of prior posts. If folks have a specific format that they find is more aesthetically functional/pleasing (eg; sblock mechanics and/or quote tag narrative), please let me know.

Remove ads