• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The City Beautiful

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Al’thiem Damala, a philosopher is giving a lecture on the nature of a moral society. You have heard rumors of his views of government as moral teachers, setting an example for the populace. The event is sponsored by the Academy. The hall is white dressed stone with long very thin wooden columns supporting a roof that is a complex structure of arches. The walls have intercate wooden crown moulding The large meeting hall is crowded, and the four of you find yourself standing next to the right wall. You had to walk by an Academy member watching the crowd presumably with at least detect magic. Leather armor is not uncommon on the streets or in the hall, a few fearing possible trouble have brought weapons as well.

Thiamon has noticed something about one wall, it just seems off to him and he is standing by it watching warily, Your uncle has gotten separated from you in the crowd, you caught a glimpse of him near the front of the building, still wearing his disguise.

The lecturer begins his introduction: Ladies and Gentalmen allow me to indroduce ... and you catch the faint smell of oil.
Suddenly a wall of fire springs up at the back wall of the hall!
The crowd starts to panic, pushing this way and that – a wall hanging a few feet from you is pulled aside and a man slips behind it into an alcove. Most of the crowd is heading for the exits at the front or back of the hall.

Smoke fills the air, people are shouting and shoving. What are you doing ?

Ralan
[sblock] spot nat 20, not a critical sucess, One of the men on the stage grabs the speaker and both vanish.
[/sblock]

Ooc: I will need to know what people have brought with them and if any of you are in disguise. Also what are tote's memorized spells?
Most of the hall is crammed 2-3 people per 5' space, and you are all within 15' ft of the hanging, 30 from the back of the hall(main exit), 45 from the front. (stage)

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
[ooc: in my posts, I usually put ooc stuff between square brackets, speech between quotes ("") and thoughts in italics. If the fluff describing the character´s action in some way contradicts the ooc stuff describing the action, follow the ooc.

Ozan would wear his leather armor and carry thed agger, but obviously not the backpack with the equipment he has prepared in case he has to leave the city, except the potion; it´s kept in one pocket.]

A somewhat tall man entered the hall even some time before the appointed time, waiting eagerly the time to it´s start. He´s rather nondescript, a trait increased by the grey, long and flowing cloak we wears - those are not uncommon to protect against the heat, but for some trained eye, it´s clear he´s trying not to be seen.

The sudden fire susprises him as much as any other, and is almost washed away by the sudden tide of panicked attendants. "Gods!" thinks. "There will be deaths here..." Trying to make himself heard, and hoping he can calm the crowd, he shouts: "DON´T PANIC! THERE´S ENOUGH TIME FOR EVERYONE TO GET OUT OF HERE! PUSHING WILL ONLY DELAY OUR EXIT!"

[ooc: diplomacy, maybe? In that case, it´s +10]

[OOC: Check the RG for spells. I updated the listing, saying exactly what spells I have. I also removed the stat buy costs and put in the attribute modifiers. Everyone else should examine the RG listing just to see the physical description of my chap :) [/ooc]

Tote arrived an hour before the lecture, carrying nothing. While he would have liked to take notes of the lecture, a crowd is not the place to use pen and ink. He stood waiting patiently until the lecture started. When the fire blazes, he turns, does takes a look [spot check: D20 + 5]. He will also cast Detect Magic [Level 0, Cone shape aimed at rear of hall, 1 standard action, lasts up to one minute if concentrated. Range of cone = 60ft, page 219 of PHB].

EDIT: Tote is seeking to learn if the fire is magically lit (even with oil, there is a chance). The cone shape and his placement will allow him to cover most of the hall, meaning he could detect if anyone else in the place is powerful enough to have magic on them. If he doesn't get any indication in the first round of magical aura's he will drop the spell. He will move to investigate the hanging at that point. If he does detect magic, he will keep concentrating to see exactly what it is.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
[OCC 1: I'm assuming that I'm accompanying Ozan and Sparrow. Also, I'm assuming we haven't fled yet from the Cabal of Pure Thought. If this is the case, Ralan will have everything with him exept his sack (and everything listed under it up to the sunrod (also not on him)).]

[OCC 2: Has Ralan met the other PCs yet?]

Today was Ralan's day off from training. He had heard of Al’thiem Damala talk and even if the Elan elders had discouraged him, he decided to attend. There, he had noticed Ozan and Sparrow and got closer to them, feeling more confortable standing next to his own.

After seing the philosopher being taken and hearing Ozan shout, Ralan whispers to his to companions what he saw. He starts heading towards where the philosopher was standing and signals the other two to follow him.

He'll look around to see if there is a trap door or an escape route.

lotuseater

Explorer
Thaimon had not wanted to come to the lecture. He would have been happier to wonder the city in peace, away from the crowds. But his uncle believed in what Al’thiem Damala had to say, and insisted his nephew hear the talk. So here he was.

Having never given up the habit of his Protector days, he came fully armed and equipped. Only his spear was left at home. His rapier was at his hip, and the crossbow slung over his back. He drew a few glances from the crowd, who seemed to notice he wore no uniform, but Thaimon observed he was not the only one to walk about armed these days.

His uncle blended into the crowd, and disappeared out of site, but Thaimon paid it no mind. He could certainly take of himself, and they both believed it was better not to be seen together. As he waited for the lecture to begin, Thaimon thought he saw something strange about the nearby wall. Just as he's about to move closer to take a look, the fire breaks out.

The hall breaks out into pandemonium. His first thought is for his Uncle, but in this chaos, he would never be able to find him. A voice shouts over the crowd trying to maintain order, and he hopes that no one will be hurt in the mad rush for the exits. But he also notices a figure slip into a hidden passage way, and his instinct as a Protector takes over. He decides to follow, as discreetly as possible. [move silently, +9, not that it's necessary in all this commotion]

Mavnn

First Post
Steve Gorak said:
After seing the philosopher being taken and hearing Ozan shout, Ralan whispers to his to companions what he saw. He starts heading towards where the philosopher was standing and signals the other two to follow him.

He'll look around to see if there is a trap door or an escape route.

Sparrow nods, dressed in casual shirt and trousers with her scimitar at her side. She does, however, pause to memorise were the man disappeared behind the hanging before moving forwards to accompany Ralan. "It will have been magic, I suspect." She spoke calmly above the milling crowd, using a mix of strength and grace to either slip through gaps or clear a path through the crowd.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Thaimon
[sblock]
The Alcove – yanking aside the hanging you see an old sealed guard robe. The smell of oil, and sewage tell you it is not well sealed. The stone cap has been removed, and under it is a 20’ drop into sludge. You can see a glimmer of light below and coming from the left. The screaming and smoke is still coming from the other room.
[/sblock]
Ozan- the people around you seem to calm down a little – and look to you for leadership
How do we get out? By the time we get to the exits the building will collapse?
And what about *cough* the smoke? Another adds.

Tote – you are jostled by the crowd and your spell is wasted. You seem nothing but the darkening smoke and flickers of flame around the crowd.

Many of you see the elf slip into the alcove and Sparrow catches a faint smell of sewage coming from the alcove.
Ralan begins pushing his way towards the stage, but half the crowd is pushing in that direction, once he gets to the edge of the clamer people listening to Ozan – he only gets 10 ft, and Sparrow who was having trouble moving through the crowd on her own, falls in directly behind him

The smoke seems to betting thicker and the cound of coughing is coming from the back of the hall.

OOC: Ozan nat 20, 24 to confirm – Tote concentration check total 6 – failed, spot 9 total
Ralan – Str check 16, Sparrow Str check 10, Dex 14 (+1 for Ralans aid)

Someone

Adventurer
"Ok, er..." Ozan starts speaking, and tries to keep out a tinge of panic as the crowd´s fear extends through the room much like the smoke from the fire. "That group goes for the exit there" says pointing at one of the exits. "The rest go for that other. There´s another one hidden in that wall, look*. Cover your mouths with your clothes, and crouch to avoid smoke and hot air. If we keep the calm, we´ll out here in a minute without any harm. Call for help when you´re outside!"

*It´s the alcove mentioned in the first post.

lotuseater

Explorer
ooc: quick format question. if i'm acting alone, do you want me to keep my actions hidden, or should i post regularly? and should we use the other thread for these questions, or keep them here? /ooc

Tote observes the group forming around Ozan, then speaks loudly, 'I will hold the door open and direct others towards it if needed.' At the same time he gestures towards the alcove. Tote wishes to save as many learned gentlemen as possible.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads