• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The classes that nobody wants to play

The classes that nobody wants to play

• Barbarian

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Bard

Votes: 38 16.6%
  • Cleric

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • Druid

Votes: 55 24.0%
  • Fighter

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Monk

Votes: 71 31.0%
  • Paladin

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • Ranger

Votes: 63 27.5%
  • Rogue

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 60 26.2%
  • Warlock

Votes: 46 20.1%
  • Wizard

Votes: 25 10.9%

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It's really cool seeing how the classes vary by group from people's posts. Group A might have it's least played which are nothing like group B, and so on. With a few exceptions it seems that different classes find favor and disfavor all over, so mechanically they are probably pretty balanced.

Aldarc

Legend
Hmm. In my area, nobody plays fighters or sorcerers. I've seen every other class represented, and successfully. Actually, I guess I've never seen a druid played either, but there was a guy who wanted to play one before he was talked out of it.
Out of curiosity, what was he talked into playing?

CM

Adventurer
Let's see.
Group 1: human tempest cleric, human retribution paladin, tiefling infernal warlock, eladrin bladesinger, , human thief
Group 2: human life druid (homebrew), goblin blade dancer rogue (homebrew), human eldritch knight, half-elf dragonblood sorcerer, halfling hunter ranger, dwarf protection paladin
Group 3: human lore bard, tiefling infernal warlock, human moon druid, human abjurer/cleric, human battlemaster, eladrin spellthief (occasionally), human barbarian (occasionally)

So I've seen every class in extended play but the monk.

JonnyP71

Explorer
Paladins don't need to be Lawful Good anymore, and then never "had" to be Lawful Stupid. The different subclasses also have very different oath - not retreating when overmatched vs. a lich doesn't fall under many of them.

No. He was a Paladin of Light, he shined, spoke 50 words when 5 were sufficient, was Lawful Good, was all godly and holy.

He was a 1E Paladin dropped into 5E.

(he was actually really well roleplayed, very true to his oath (a homebrewed one - gave up healing for light related powers)

I still hate them.

All of them.

And I can't get my bald old head around the fact that WotC changed them so they don't have to be human and lawful good. That makes me hate them even more.

Satyrn

First Post
So far, no one at my table has played a ranger. Simply because no one has yet played a ranger. I almost chose it, but went fighter instead because battlemaster got me the swasbuckling bits better, while using my skills (survival, animal handling, stealth) and gnomish bits to get the outdoorsman flavor.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Out of curiosity, what was he talked into playing?

Well, his whole idea was being more comfortable with animals than with humans. But since that campaign didn't allow full casters, druid wasn't an option.

There is an option in the Primeval Thule Player's Companion that varies the 14th level ability of a warlock based on which specific Old One they are pacted with, and the option for Shub-Niggurath allows a wild shape variant as this replacement feature. The player ran with that, and it in fact became the cornerstone event that shaped the entire campaign.

Aldarc

Legend
Well, his whole idea was being more comfortable with animals than with humans. But since that campaign didn't allow full casters, druid wasn't an option.

There is an option in the Primeval Thule Player's Companion that varies the 14th level ability of a warlock based on which specific Old One they are pacted with, and the option for Shub-Niggurath allows a wild shape variant as this replacement feature. The player ran with that, and it in fact became the cornerstone event that shaped the entire campaign.
Okay, so it wasn't a "druids suck; play this instead" thing? Good to know.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads