• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The classes that nobody wants to play

The classes that nobody wants to play

• Barbarian

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Bard

Votes: 38 16.6%
  • Cleric

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • Druid

Votes: 55 24.0%
  • Fighter

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Monk

Votes: 71 31.0%
  • Paladin

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • Ranger

Votes: 63 27.5%
  • Rogue

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 60 26.2%
  • Warlock

Votes: 46 20.1%
  • Wizard

Votes: 25 10.9%

G

Guest 6801328

Poll is missing "None of the Above" option. It's kind of meaningless without it.

bganon

Explorer
*looks at chart*
Interesting to see the Sorcerer at the bottom in popularity.
I'm playing one, and he's a total badass

My own issue with Sorcs isn't about power level, it's just that they don't play the way I want them to play. I'd rather see a class with more frequent/flexible metamagic use to enhance a few tightly focused spells, maybe a bit along the lines of the 4E Elementalist. Instead we got palette-swap Wizards. They emulated the 3E approach, but IMO the 3E sorcerer was super boring.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
But when it came to overcoming the challenges the party encountered, the contribution of the monk PCs has been lacking. They just did not seem effective or useful. This has happened often enough to be a pattern.
My Monk and I accidentally solved one of the major problems of one AL module. Our group had just beat up a Minotaur when his friends burst into the room. I said, "I look at them, step aside so they can see the Minotaur*, and say 'HE scared me. YOU ... don't scare me.' And I drop into Ready pose." The DM rolled a morale check; they failed and surrendered.

*unconscious (from Sleep spell, but the enemies didn't know that) and bound with ropes and manacles

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think my area is in the twilight zone. I see vastly more monks and rangers than fighters, for instance. Rangers have especially jumped in popularity since the revision.

But fighters, clerics, and wizards, no one cares.

My Monk and I accidentally solved one of the major problems of one AL module. Our group had just beat up a Minotaur when his friends burst into the room. I said, "I look at them, step aside so they can see the Minotaur*, and say 'HE scared me. YOU ... don't scare me.' And I drop into Ready pose." The DM rolled a morale check; they failed and surrendered.

*unconscious (from Sleep spell, but the enemies didn't know that) and bound with ropes and manacles

What's a "morale check"? Is that a DMG thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monk and ranger I have only ever seen played in our first campaign, one in which there were too many players and everyone wanted a unique class. Monk also has the orientalist problem, which turns people off. I've seen druid only slightly more.

We sometimes have to talk players out of playing sorcerer, or else we wind up with too many of them.

Ninja-radish

First Post
In our game the only class that nobody even considered playing is Sorcerer, because it's mechanically the worst arcane caster. Also, nobody plays Fighters beyond a one level dip for casters to get armor proficiency and Con saves.

I'm surprised Warlocks got so much hate on this thread, my group has 2 Warlocks.

Miladoon

First Post
I need an all of the above selection cuz I am not into playing a class.

"Hail and well met! Heroes, I am Pelenor's Champion, Gromdolf, 4the level Fighter with 48HP and Great Weapon fighting. After enough XP I can be an amazing tank slash DPR. Ready to quest."

It even gets better when he multiclasses. Gromdolf also has the title of Paladin in some parts of the setting, so I guess he has to take 'levels' in Paladin in order to actually be one.

Despite his best efforts at being a paladin, Gromdolf will always be lack luster to my 1Clerc/3WildMage. I don't know what his name is. But he paladins like a mutha.

Oh, getting to your question, Wild Mage Sorcerer. I just assume that some players are not ready to handle real power. But that is ok. Baby steps.

/end cheeky reply

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads