• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The core issue of the martial/caster gap is just the fundamental design of d20 fantasy casters.

RareBreed

Adventurer
Is it?

The core fantasy of the D&D Wizard to me is "I'm a studious caster, looking for old lore and spells to increase my power and contribution to the group."
Look at Raistlin from Dragonlance, or even the "colored" wizards from Middle Earth who basically truly are demigods. I could probably also add Elric (doomed though he may be, and servitor of the Gods rather than a competitor). Heck, what about Voldemort? Though he may not be a God, he (and Dumbledore) was the most powerful person on the planet? In the Conan books, sorcerors are rare, but usually the most powerful person in their kingdom that even the Kings leave alone or are puppets to them (and Conan seems to be the only person able to kill them who is not also a sorceror). I'm not even an avid Fantasy reader, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are others.

Other than the Middle Earth mages (who I guess would be Sorcerers?), in many fantasy settings, the quest for digging up old lore and legends was just the means to an end: to fulfill the potential of their true power.

So I don't think overgeeked was far from the mark.

Scribe

Legend
Look at Raistlin from Dragonlance, or even the "colored" wizards from Middle Earth who basically truly are demigods. I could probably also add Elric (doomed though he may be, and servitor of the Gods rather than a competitor). Heck, what about Voldemort? Though he may not be a God, he (and Dumbledore) was the most powerful person on the planet? In the Conan books, sorcerors are rare, but usually the most powerful person in their kingdom that even the Kings leave alone or are puppets to them (and Conan seems to be the only person able to kill them who is not also a sorceror). I'm not even an avid Fantasy reader, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are others.

Other than the Middle Earth mages (who I guess would be Sorcerers?), in many fantasy settings, the quest for digging up old lore and legends was just the means to an end: to fulfill the potential of their true power.

So I don't think overgeeked was far from the mark.

Raistlin was a singular example within the setting though. Sure the other example have power, and by the ends of their arcs are juiced up, but there are leagues of other 'Wizards' in many of those settings who have no capacity to reach the plot driven heights of all of them.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Raistlin was a singular example within the setting though. Sure the other example have power, and by the ends of their arcs are juiced up, but there are leagues of other 'Wizards' in many of those settings who have no capacity to reach the plot driven heights of all of them.
Yup. Raistlin was explicitly an outlier by the standards of every other wizard in the setting (except his predecessor and patron/power battery Fistandantilus) including his nominal bosses in the Order and his own apprentice.

Voadam

Legend
You are ignoring the first other wizard we meet in the Dragonlance novels and adventures, Fizban the Fabulous. :)

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Of course, WotC isn't going to make a warlord class anyway, so the point is moot.

I recommend the Level Up Marshall. The Captain from Mage Hand Press is good too.
Laserllama and Kibblestasty both have excellent Warlord classes that are completely free on GMBinder and only a Google search away.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Let’s be honest here, baddies never have enough actions to make counterspell a viable strategy. It’s entirely plausible that the pcs are casting three to five spells per round. Nothing has that many reactions.
That's probably one reason they're moving from legendary actions to extra reactions in monster design going forward.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads