TSR The Cult of Abaddon - Release from NuTSR/TheEvilDM

Faolyn

(she/her)
This is an area where I will come to the adventure's defense. The water is being cursed by the cult, and is killing people in both towns. Stopping the curse (and fixing the water supply) is the central plot. This is spelled out in the next few paragraphs.
Ah. Makes sense, then!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It's not the fish. Well, no, it is the fish. And their poop, and the parasites, and metal particulates, and the rotting animal carcasses upstream (some of which were fish), and toxic plants and algae, and lots of other nasty stuff.

It's why basically every culture has either beer or tea--both of those things make the water safe(r) to drink.
And why so many people die of dysentery on the Oregon Trail.

This is an area where I will come to the adventure's defense. The water is being cursed by the cult, and is killing people in both towns. Stopping the curse (and fixing the water supply) is the central plot. This is spelled out in the next few paragraphs.
Ah, nobody said that was the case earlier. That explains the quotes.

Mind you, it's the wrong place to be vague; the DM isn't a player. Be literal and up front. "The villagers of both towns are unaware that the river is being poisoned by the Curse." How hard is that to write?

In fact, I think I see the issue with this and many other attempts at module writing. A lack of a technical writing class. Modules are not just stories, they are instructions.

When I was completing my software engineering degree I was required to take a technical writing class. A lot of the engineers hated it; they thought they had left English class behind. But it was great training in how to write simple concise sentences and avoid metaphors, colloquialisms, and meta references that would just confuse your reader. (Who, in the software engineering world, may have English as their 2nd or 3rd language.)

You can have your descriptive text and passion. It just needs to be where the players hear it, and maybe a bit of fluff to get the DM excited to run your module. The mechanics of your module need to be clean and technical. You have two audiences to write for.

(And I've edited this post a few times now just to make it better. Editing is never over.)

I have some minor and interesting updates on Cult of Abaddon.

First, the PDF copy is no longer available for sale. Vince Florio edited his page (link in the OP) to add "Due to some legal advice I was given, I decided to remove the PDF from sale. Thanks for inquiring folks!" The adventure is also removed from lulu. I don't know when this change was made.

NuTSR has claimed on Facebook that they have fulfilled all orders for CoA. Their website still shows it as "backordered". However, we do have proof that hard copies exist. One of the photos from TSR Con shows a copy on a table. And at least one person bought a copy, had it signed by Ernie, and did a review on Youtube. That person is Jason Schattner, aka Wolfphototech, who runs the channels "TableTop Gaming with Wolfphototech" and "Wolfphototech Interactive Entertainment". We also know from FB that he has applied for a job at the DHSM, has been in direct contact with LaNasa, and started making the rounds on some Star Frontiers pages.

His video can be found here:

He doesn't go into very much detail or useful information about the module. But he does show some video paging through it. From what I can see all the artwork is identical to the PDF, and in one shot I can verify that the inexplicable "Cover Art by: Madre Shipton" note is still on the back.

Jason claims in this video to have dyslexia and Asperger's (his word, not mine). So, I don't want to harp on this too much, but he doesn't get the name of the module right. He call is "Cults of Abandon", which may explain why this review is hard to find on Google. "Abandon" isn't just a typo; it's how he pronounces the name. Also his mention of the "Curse" of Abaddon" is a reference to the fact that Ernie mistakenly referred to the adventure as "Curse of Abaddon" on FB when they announced that the hard copies were shipping.

Jason doesn't go into any detail about the editing problems in this video, but in both the video before and after this one on his channel he goes into weird side rants that are clearly justifications for the errors. This includes a tangent about errors in other books, and a justification that "old people with bad eyesight" should be forgiven for editing failures. To me, it feels like a lot of whataboutism, and hardly justifies the scale of the errors in a 17 page book or the misuse of artwork. YMMV.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Old people with bad eyesight... or any writer for that matter... shouldn't be editing their own work. Your brain knows what you meant to type, so you often don't see the actual errors.

If you can't hire a professional editor, at least get someone else, or maybe a few someone elses, with a good grasp of the language your work is written in to proofread it for you.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Old people with bad eyesight... or any writer for that matter... shouldn't be editing their own work. Your brain knows what you meant to type, so you often don't see the actual errors.

If you can't hire a professional editor, at least get someone else, or maybe a few someone elses, with a good grasp of the language your work is written in to proofread it for you.
Or at the very least, but it away for a few days or weeks, then read it out loud.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases