• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) The D&D Cartoon Heroes In The 2024 PHB

Art by Dmitry Burmak.

IMG_3570.jpeg

Art by Dmitry Burmak​

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've never heard the term DungeonPunk before the discussion about the new cover yesterday, but I get it. I have a lot of nostalgia for these characters from 3/3.5e. The art is very 2000's though.
"Dungeonpunk" was what WotC called their edgy early 2000s take on fantasy art when they were ramping up for 3E, along with their "back to the dungeon" motto, which was meant to inspire people to put down their World of Darkness books (which White Wolf helped out by deciding to trigger the apocalypse across all of their lines, in an interesting decision) and go back to D&D.

In practice, "dungeonpunk" meant tribal tattoos, tight leather clothes, lots of spikes and lots of pockets.

I think not feeling beholden to historical armor and weapon designs is a good idea -- D&D isn't a historical simulator and never was -- but it definitely got silly at times. But the idea that adventurers might not look like mercenaries from the Holy Roman Empire or like 18th century illustrations of Arthur's knights was a good impulse, IMO, and something we see carried forward -- in a less crazy way -- even today.

ezo

I cast invisibility
Since @LuisCarlos17f hasn't come by and said it, I'd love for the creators of Blue Eye Samurai to take the cartoon into the 2020s on Netflix. It'll NEVER happen, but a beholder can dream...
Or they could just come up with their own thing? You could keep the same premise, kids from our world trapped in a D&D world looking for a way home, but make new characters, new stories, etc. Maybe even have the original characters show up in small parts, but really make something new.

I just don't get why people want to rehash old stuff into "modern" terms. The old stuff is great on its own, so why remake it? Look at all the movies nowadays that are remakes of older movies!?

I'm sure it seems odd to take this position to a lot of people, especially here, where one might argue why remake D&D if the early editions were "great on their own"? All I can say is the game is a living, breathing, growing, changing thing. But stories, art, film, etc. are different, I don't see them as something that changes, but should be appreciated for what they are, whenever and however they are made.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads