D&D 5E The D&D Multiverse Part 2- The Remix Culture of the Gygaxian Multiverse

I think Dark Sun absolutely ties into the rising environmental concerns of the early 90s, whereas Planescape represents the countercultural explosion of the mid 90s. 4e's Points of Light setting shows a world beset by threats, but not without light, not without hope.

Going further back, maybe Greyhawk, with its shades-of-grey rulers, comes from a post-Watergate world, or maybe the conflict between nations from the Cold War.

I wonder about the specific ways in which D&D has changed over time, not just staying the same (in terms of D&Disms) but also reflecting the zeitgeist of the era; one thing I think is true is that there is certainly a lot more anime and cosplay within the groups that play D&D now than in time prior, and I'm curious what effect people think that has had on 5e.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I think that trying too hard to make connections between fantasy setting and the real-world politics of the day is fraught with peril and misunderstanding. There are perhaps some broad things one could say there, but I think to press it too hard is probably a mistake, much like trying to read Lord of the Rings as a straight WWII analogy.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I think that trying too hard to make connections between fantasy setting and the real-world politics of the day is fraught with peril and misunderstanding. There are perhaps some broad things one could say there, but I think to press it too hard is probably a mistake, much like trying to read Lord of the Rings as a straight WWII analogy.

Oh, c'mon.

Someone has to write the 10,000 word essay on how Planescape and Ministry's Just One Fix are essentially the exact same thing!

AggravatingClosedDormouse-max-1mb.gif

Smash the control images.

...smash the control machines.

Some DMs like to create modules as parodies famous franchises. Other times the PCs are rip-off or homages of the favorite characters from videogames.

The main reason for not more crossovers is because modern tech can break too easily the power balance.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
1. OD&D and Gygaxian 1e Were Too Weird to Live, and Too Rare to Die
One thing that I think often gets lost when discussing early D&D is how truly bizarre it could be. And the reason for this is that it wasn't "pure." It wasn't just Tolkien-esque high fantasy. Nor was it simply appropriated Howard/Leiber swords & sorcery. It wasn't extrapolated wargaming. And it wasn't the myths of a particular country.

It was all of it, and more. Because there were no particular preconceptions as to what had to be in D&D, or what had to be excluded. Where did your monsters come from? Well, anywhere! Little bit of Arabian mythology? Put in a djinn. Want to put in a little John Carter homage? How about some carnivorous apes, or giant white ones? Did you see some cool toys? Why not a ankheg, or an owl bear? Do you like 50s monster movies? How about some giant ants? Rakshasas, dinosaurs, critters from Japanese or Irish or Egyptian mythology? They were all fair game.

Everything was put into a blender, and became "D&D."
I miss this so much. So, so much.
These ideas were further explored in the overall weirdness that we saw in early D&D; early modules referenced dinosaurs, space travel, and parallel or pocket universes.
Time travel, different dimensions, space armadas, lasers, power armor, crashed spaceships, robots...there were robots on the wandering monster tables. There were creatures from Burroughs' Mars books...tharks, white apes, etc.

If you think OD&D and AD&D were weird, you should check out B/X and BECMI. Especially Mystara...and the Immortals rules in various incarnations. If you think OD&D and AD&D were weird...B/X and BECMI were utterly gonzo.

Mystara has a second, invisible moon with samurai cat people living on it. An ancient crashed spaceship. A buried nuclear reactor. An ancient Blackmoor device exploded, tilting the world. The Hollow World. The spell of preserving. Kalaktatla, the Amber Serpent...aka Ka the Preserver...an Immortal T-Rex who preserves ancient civilizations by moving them to the hollow world, including faux Romans and faux Aztecs. Flying continents. Flying cities. Crashed flying cities. Flying ships. Flying gnomes. A city of Immortals on the moon. Vast galactic empires. Time travel. Aliens. Genetic manipulation. Alternate dimensions. Thar. All the unique races and monsters. Immortals. Slowly dying magic. Shadow elves. The denial of the Hin. Bargle. Threshold. The Isle of Dread. The modules. I could almost swoon just thinking about it all.
3. Weirdness and 5e
This is where I get to the more interesting, and likely controversial, part of my general thoughts; what does any of this have to do with 5e?

Here's the thing- there are times when I feel that for some people, OSR (and OD&D / 1e specifically) is viewed as a reaction to 5e.
That would be odd as the OSR started at least a decade before 5E.
To put this in a more specific context:
In OD&D/1e terms, you might have a campaign setting that was generally medieval tech, but an individual might have a firearm or even a laser rifle.
In 5e, it is generally seen that the campaign setting itself would have to allow the specific tech for most DMs to approve it.
Well, in the older games it's still down to DM approval because the DM would have to put the high-tech item into the world for the PCs to find it. The player likely wouldn't ask for a laser sword or powered armor during character creation. They would be found in game.
In short, while I think that overall 5e has done an amazing job of incorporating numerous diverse cultural cues and viewpoints, the one thing it is not so great at is allowing the "weird" exception. Something which has long been baked into D&D's DNA.
There's a few more things WotC D&D has lost along the way, like zero to hero, fragile 1st-level characters, having to earn cool abilities, xp for gold, etc. Most of that's tweaks that can be put in or house ruled out, but the weirdness is definitely missing...and a lot of OSR stuff is almost laser-focused on delivering that content.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
There's a few more things WotC D&D has lost along the way, like zero to hero, fragile 1st-level characters, having to earn cool abilities, xp for gold, etc. Most of that's tweaks that can be put in or house ruled out, but the weirdness is definitely missing...and a lot of OSR stuff is almost laser-focused on delivering that content.
Very much on purpose, IMO, and that's part of the reason I own so much of it. (y)

Li Shenron

Legend
Interesting discussion.

How many people still use alternate material worlds for adventures? Do the rest of you guys ever dangle plot threads that lead to different planets or planes-that-are-other-worlds-but-mostly-earthlike?
I kind of do it, but perhaps in a not so obvious way: I have had adventures in outer planes such as Arcadia, Mechanus and Acheron, but treated them as alternate material worlds instead of proper outer planes.

The motivation for me was the fact that, outside the standard Planescape setting, many of those known outer planes are pretty interesting adventures locations, but they are dysfunctional as "afterlife" options. So I turned them into "thislife" options.

Since the last summer, I have also entertained the idea of starting to make a more traditional use of alternate material worlds default in our games, by assuming that many famous published settings world co-exist in the same universe: Abeir-Toril, Athas, Krynn, Ravenloft... I've been actually planning to start a [+] thread on options to also make their different cosmologies co-exist, but haven't yet wrapped my head around on how to formulate such thread.

I do not particularly like the "everything exists" approach however. From a game designer's point of view is a great idea, but in your own game it tends to give too much dispersive feelings for my tastes. I'd rather have a finite known multiverse with the usual backdoor open for discovering more worlds in the future.

I think back in the days of the 70s we were exposed to so few outside influences to our sci-fi/fantasy that our games reflected that. In the early 80s nerd/geek culture started to really bloom(nothing like the 00s) but while it was still 'wrong' to be a nerd it was no longer unusual. And as that culture bloomed, like most cultures, it divided. The Science Fiction Book Club became the Science Fiction and Fantasy Book Club and then two seperate entities.

The extreme view of all things geek became my personal nerd world of 《X》 (where X was the subset of what you enjoyed.) Star Trek or Star Wars (never both), DC or Marvel, Sci-fi or Fantasy. In many ways it was the acceptance that was the issue. And why 2nd ed became so much more 'pure' when it came to crossing into other genres, it was also during that time that a lot of the 'specialty' games started to spring up (Warhammer 40k, TMNT, Paranoia, etc). Quick and dirty version since I'm heading to bed, but hopefully my point wad made. 3e and 4e further divided. 5e while not back to the old days I think is at least doing what the rest of the world is failing at. Looking to the past to see what worked without throwing the baby out with the bath water. Here's hoping.

michaeljpastor

Adventurer
This is an interesting point (cue up the whole, "Monster movies reflect the cultural fears of the people at the time, and here's my examination of zombie movies ...").

I wonder about the specific ways in which D&D has changed over time, not just staying the same (in terms of D&Disms) but also reflecting the zeitgeist of the era; one thing I think is true is that there is certainly a lot more anime and cosplay within the groups that play D&D now than in time prior, and I'm curious what effect people think that has had on 5e.
4E was obviously influenced by Video games.

Eberron magicpunk vis-a-vis steampunk's rise.

To me, Planescape was a ma zing. But I'm GenX, so its post-modern skeptical approach to the Factions was kewl. Nothing more ironic than a faction member saying there are no Gods while he's standing in the middle of the Outer Planes.

The art was the same. DnD went from simple pencils and inks to fully painted splash pages then it took a slight step retro with heavily prominent loose inks with watercolor washes.

No mistaking that Mistakes were made, but nothing beats the outlands to me. That space in between the Outer Planes had never been flushed out before. I would as a DM and player never mind leaving the outlands and just walking around the disc like Louis Wu did in Ringworld. I didn't care for the lady of pain and sigil much. The outlands should have been the focus of the campaign setting for me.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases