Level Up (A5E) The Dark Side of Destiny (Sins of the Scorpion Age Mechanic)

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
So far one of my players has suggested a new one: Bleeding Heart.

Someone who gives -too- much, to the point of harming themselves and those close to them. Essentially a character who will put themself into unreasonable danger if they think it might help others. Almost masochistic or self-martyring type identity.

'Cause it ain't just about being evil. It's about having negative aspects I'm definitely going to go forward on that one, as well.

Do y'all have ideas of different Sins for me?
Inflexibility.

Your typical "lawful stupid" paladin; someone who has an incredibly rigid code that they adhere to above all other concerns. Think about the tale of the Good Samaritan where the religious leaders passed by the guy who'd been beaten to within an inch of his life because they didn't want to risk becoming ritually unclean, or someone who would punish someone for stealing bread because they were starving.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Inflexibility.

Your typical "lawful stupid" paladin; someone who has an incredibly rigid code that they adhere to above all other concerns. Think about the tale of the Good Samaritan where the religious leaders passed by the guy who'd been beaten to within an inch of his life because they didn't want to risk becoming ritually unclean, or someone who would punish someone for stealing bread because they were starving.
I would say that Arrogance covers both Inflexibility and Overconfidence. In all cases you're placing your own judgements, opinions, and ideals over all other concerns, which is Arrogance by any other name.

Faolyn

(she/her)
If they’re going to a “dark mirror” to Destiny, then the benefit should be similar: inspiration (which can be used for anything). But it also comes with a side effect that kicks in when you use the inspo. Perhaps the next saving throw you make with a certain stat is always at disad, with the idea that being Sinful weakens you.

Strength: Bloodthirsty, Coward
Dexterity: Greedy, Power Hungry (it's hard to be dexterous when you're grabbing onto everything)
Constitution: Addict, Bleeding Heart, Spiteful
Intelligence: Fanatic, Lech
Wisdom: Arrogant, Gambler
Charisma: Callous, Jealousy

Bleeding Heart might not be as appropriate a Sin here. Even if 13 is a good number of Sins.

Steampunkette

Supporter
If they’re going to a “dark mirror” to Destiny, then the benefit should be similar: inspiration (which can be used for anything). But it also comes with a side effect that kicks in when you use the inspo. Perhaps the next saving throw you make with a certain stat is always at disad, with the idea that being Sinful weakens you.

Strength: Bloodthirsty, Coward
Dexterity: Greedy, Power Hungry (it's hard to be dexterous when you're grabbing onto everything)
Constitution: Addict, Bleeding Heart, Spiteful
Intelligence: Fanatic, Lech
Wisdom: Arrogant, Gambler
Charisma: Callous, Jealousy

Bleeding Heart might not be as appropriate a Sin here. Even if 13 is a good number of Sins.
OH! That is -brilliant-, Faolyn! Disadvantage on a particular type of save of the DM's choosing would be particularly vicious... >.>

Coward can gain 1 minute of no opportunity attacks from movement and advantage on stealth checks... But the DM gets to decide when their cowardice comes back to bite them and they get disadvantage on a Strength Save at some point the DM decides to use it.

Have to put in a rule where you can't benefit from both succumbing -and- overcoming your particular sin within the same Session... Just to keep players from being flip-floppy. And also make it so they can only benefit once per session.

Scribe

Legend
I would say that Arrogance covers both Inflexibility and Overconfidence. In all cases you're placing your own judgements, opinions, and ideals over all other concerns, which is Arrogance by any other name.
Agreed, put 'Conceited' into the same bucket imo.

For me, Arrogance is an Armour. As long as its reinforced, the individual believes in their superiority, has utter confidence in their way being not just the right way, but the only way. This could be reflected in bonus to saves/attacks, but once that arrogance is pierced (failed saved?) then they have a weakness to any kind of mental save, as they question themselves?

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
I'd suggest moving Bleeding Heart into Wisdom. It's going to show up on a lot of clerics, heralds, and druids, and those characters want wisdom to a certain extent, so it's a nerf they'll feel.

Steampunkette

Supporter
The idea behind Bleeding Heart is the Intentional Martyr.

Not "Bleeding Heart Hippie", but the person who is first to sacrifice literally any happiness or comfort for others, even when it harms their friends or family. It also has heavy hints of the Martyr Complex that often is held by such individuals, where their eagerness to take on pain is tied into guilt for others, self-victimization, persecution of perceived villains, and similar negative behaviors.

Having it be tied to Constitution allows us to force disadvantage on Con saves against things like Poison, Disease, or effects which involve a person's heartiness and ability to survive, like Death Saves or Reduced Max HP. This would certainly play into the martyr complex such people espouse, making them physically weaker and more "Harmed" than others in a similar situation.

Honestly... I could also see it as a "Wild Card" Sin. Where the harm you're bringing on yourself by being so eager to -be- a martyr is as flexible as the logic that leads you to harm yourself and blame others for it.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Sin.png

Remove ads