D&D 5E The Decrease in Desire for Magic in D&D

And it doesn't change the fact that the fighting part of the game is pretty darn fun. People are gonna want to take part in the fun part of the game.
Oh, that's easy to fix. Let's see...

Add weapon speeds, reroll initiative every round, a stamina meter/system to track/force players to skip turns, give monsters save or die powers back, triple monster hp, make spells cast time multiple rounds, add more subsystems...

hope that's a good start!

Vaalingrade

Legend
Oh, that's easy to fix. Let's see...

Add weapon speeds, reroll initiative every round, a stamina meter/system to track/force players to skip turns, give monsters save or die powers back, triple monster hp, make spells cast time multiple rounds, add more subsystems...

hope that's a good start!
Don't forget to count arrows. And maybe a penalty to attack via encumbrance so people have to track that too.

Oh, and don't forget to attack downed players.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Hey, you make it sound like those are bad things! ;)

but seriously, these bring a style of play that many players enjoy; please don't crap on that gameplay.

More importantly, imo, is that if you count arrows, track encumbrance, attack downed players, impose perception penalties to darkvision, enforce somatic spell requirements, and otherwise actually use all the rules, 5e gets more dangerous.

Thomas Shey

Legend
More importantly, imo, is that if you count arrows, track encumbrance, attack downed players, impose perception penalties to darkvision, enforce somatic spell requirements, and otherwise actually use all the rules, 5e gets more dangerous.

Which, of course, is a downside to many people, but there's also an issue that at least some of those come across as annoying minutia to many, over and above their output effects.

Laurefindel

Legend
More dangerous and more attrition/resource management-oriented, which tends to interest more players who have a desire to decrease magic, to tie in with the OP.

Bill Zebub

Which, of course, is a downside to many people, but there's also an issue that at least some of those come across as annoying minutia to many, over and above their output effects.
So one perfectly valid opinion is that 5e requires a bunch of annoying rules to be challenging.

The flip side, however, is that if the game were “balanced” (whatever that means) around the absence of those rules, then people who like that stuff would have an equally valid complaint.

So it’s less “bad design” and more “design that doesn’t please everybody.”

Bill Zebub

More dangerous and more attrition/resource management-oriented, which tends to interest more players who have a desire to decrease magic, to tie in with the OP.

That’s an interesting conjecture. Not sure I would have stated it as fact, myself.

Laurefindel

Legend
I know that many people enjoy more dangerous and resource management games, but I know that isn't the majority. However, these players as more represented [edit] the proportion of players who enjoy such games is higher [/edit] in the same pool of players seeking a decrease in magic solutions, since that is what this thread is (was?) about.

One way or another, no need to ridicule what others find fun (that's a bit of an overstatement, I really don't think @Vaalingrade was ridiculing anyone here)

Remove ads