D&D 5E The Decrease in Desire for Magic in D&D

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Sure, but isn't that always the case for any long campaign? If the PCs are dead, you don't really have a campaign do you? That is why I thought it was odd. By the very nature of the campaign being long that means the PCs have survived (our been brought back from the dead).

Anyway, as I said: yes, we can have character deaths.
Sometimes PCs die and are replaced. The campaign carries on. Now, if you lose all the originals it can get problematic, but I see no reason to end a campaign because Bob's cleric was eaten by a giant frog.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Sure, but isn't that always the case for any long campaign? If the PCs are dead, you don't really have a campaign do you?
Sure you do, as long as the party continues as a recognizable unit; even though the characters that make up said party might frequently change.

At the start of my current campaign there was only one character who made it through the first adventure; due to bad luck, sometimes bad play, and sheer gonzo-ness the rest each turned over at least twice - though never more than half the party at a time. That survivor didn't make it through the next adventure. The party, though, did; and the campaign continued.
That is why I thought it was odd. By the very nature of the campaign being long that means the PCs have survived (our been brought back from the dead).
To me those things aren't necessarily the same. :)

Vaalingrade

Legend
That would be a magical oil, though. Alchemy is how you make magical potions and oils. That's not an indication of non-magical means being present. The language does not allow for mundane cures. You can of course house rule those in, but by default the cures have to be magical.
Ah, the glory and magic of stirring naturally occurring things.

Alchemy really should be where the line is drawn between 'magical' and 'fantastic'.

dave2008

Legend
That would be a magical oil, though. Alchemy is how you make magical potions and oils. That's not an indication of non-magical means being present. The language does not allow for mundane cures. You can of course house rule those in, but by default the cures have to be magical.
Alchemy is not inherently magical. I mean people practiced alchemy in real life. Do you believe they were magical?!

Now in general I agree with you in that magic beast parts a magical and thus magic. However, the real question was not whether or not you needed magic to solve the issue (I think it would be obvious you need magic to reverse petrification), but can you do it without being magical yourself. By allowing alchemy or magical beast parts to do I think the answer is clearly, by RAW, yes.

dave2008

Legend
Sometimes PCs die and are replaced. The campaign carries on. Now, if you lose all the originals it can get problematic, but I see no reason to end a campaign because Bob's cleric was eaten by a giant frog.
Yes, I was never suggesting a one off would derail a campaign. Though the way may group plays one death is likely to become a TPK! Regardless, we have had "brothers" take up the mantle of their fallen relative / friend before. It happens.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Alchemy is not inherently magical. I mean people practiced alchemy in real life. Do you believe they were magical?!
The game is not real life. Alchemy in the game is how you make healing potions, magical oils and such.
Now in general I agree with you in that magic beast parts a magical and thus magic. However, the real question was not whether or not you needed magic to solve the issue (I think it would be obvious you need magic to reverse petrification), but can you do it without being magical yourself. By allowing alchemy or magical beast parts to do I think the answer is clearly, by RAW, yes.
Sure. You don't have to be magical yourself, but you do need to be using magic to do it. The oil is a prime example. A battle master with alchemy could make that oil and fix the petrified PC. It's the cure that's required to be magical, not the one behind the cure.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Or a quest.

Cannaedoit the 5th level cleric: "I am unable to treat this, but I've heard that in the goblin warrens to the east in the mountains, there is a statue to a god long lost that has the power to cure those who spill their blood upon it's head."
A Quest is damn cool once at least but eventually I feel it becomes just a ritual then maybe some strange the hero has become "just that badass" and throws the affliction off.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yes, I was never suggesting a one off would derail a campaign. Though the way may group plays one death is likely to become a TPK!
I call it a party death spiral.... I had an idea of a downed character acting like an in absentee warlord proving inspirational flashbacks and similar to his allies.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I don't mind the idea of the game providing revival effects, but yes; from 3e and forward the casting level of such things has been creeping downward.
Thought it was the same level
And the way I see it, any world that supports Elves and Dragons and Unicorns and Aboleths is pretty damn magical from and by its very nature. :)
Yeh D&D being pretty damn magical is fine with me too.

Remove ads