• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The default campaign world - new article

Visceris

First Post
Yes, but in 3e/3.5e that is all flavor text. If this is going to be in the core design for 4e its going to be imbedded in the game mechanics. No thank you.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Visceris said:
Correction, it may be a good setting for core D&D 4e. 3.5e allows a bit more complexity than this simplistic design.

Last I checked, the 3.5e design assumed...
...magic-users were common. They made a lot of magic items, and you could buy them anywhere.
...high level adventurers were common. You could find them if you needed them.

Cheers!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Visceris said:
Yes, but in 3e/3.5e that is all flavor text. If this is going to be in the core design for 4e its going to be imbedded in the game mechanics. No thank you.
Me, I'd rather see something wild like this as the base setting than the overdeveloped mess FR has become...and this is coming from a long-time FR supporter. :)

Lanefan

Jack99

Adventurer
Visceris said:
Correction, it may be a good setting for core D&D 4e. 3.5e allows a bit more complexity than this simplistic design.

Complexity of the system has nothing to do with the type of core world. Its flavor, thats all. And it definitely feels like a more logical flavor than the FR/GH model.

I like it, but why care? Whatever they pick as core world wont affect in any way what YOUR campaign will look like. At least, it shouldnt.

Last edited:

Beckett

Explorer
Visceris said:
If this is the design philosphy for all their campaigns and are going to try to force that mold on homebrews then they are freakin' nuts.

Because it's been WotC policy to send burly thugs to every home to ensure the rules are followed to the letter.

It's a default assumption, because they have to start from somewhere. The proposed base setting is very open in a way even Greyhawk isn't. Need a city, a kingdom, a dungeon, whatever? Boom, stick it on your map, and don't worry that you might be contradicting something laid down years ago.

I think the suggested setting is perfect for newer DMs and worldbuilders. I've seen many DMs designing their own worlds with the Forgotten Realms as their guide. They feel that they need every country detailed, every city on the map. As they try to fill in all the details, they end up frustrated because they don't have dozens of people working 20 years to develop their setting. With the default, I think DMs are encouraged to start small, and add details as they're needed. If the players are sticking to one area for several levels, that area can be concentrated on and built up, rather than being concerned with the kingdom over the sea.

Individual DMs are still able to do as they please. If you want to build an entire world and write up a dozen kingdoms, go for it. If you can pull it off, I'm sure your players will enjoy it. But for less experienced DMs, I'd rather they be advised to start small instead of being overwhelmed.

psionotic

A few thoughts about the implied setting (based only on the few snippets we've been given)

1) It seems kind of boring.
I prefer city based campaigns, heavy on politicking, with recurring PCs and villians. Unfortunately, this is going to give more ammunition to the "4e = MMO grindfest...!" crowd.

2) Its completely irrelevant.
The 3e implied setting is Greyhawk, but you'd never know it if you weren't familiar with its Gods and famous spellcasters. The setting will be used only for descriptive passages and art... There's no way that WotC can, or will even try, to make us all play in the default world. The DM decides the tenor of any campaign.

3) Since Wizards left Greyhawk to the Living Campaign to develop for 3.x, I'm betting there will be a GH hardbound or boxset released within the next couple years.

Last edited:

Beckett

Explorer
Visceris said:

:\ You've lost me. I'm not sure how a setting like this is going to be tied so intimately to the mechanics.

the_myth

First Post
MerricB said:
Points of Light by Rich Baker
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drdd/20070829a

Ok... this is a surprise. And, after my first shock, I really liked the idea.

"Another implication of this basic conceit of the world is that there is very little in the way of authority to deal with raiders and marauders, outbreaks of demon worship, rampaging monsters, deadly hauntings, or similar local problems. Settlements afflicted by troubles can only hope for a band of heroes to arrive and set things right. If there is a kingdom beyond the town’s walls, it’s still largely covered by unexplored forest and desolate hills where evil folk gather. The king’s soldiers might do a passable job of keeping the lands within a few miles of his castle free of monsters and bandits, but most of the realm’s outlying towns and villages are on their own."

This really looks like the type of setting the D&D game would thrive in. I'm impressed.

Enough to make me leave my beloved Greyhawk? Possibly not... but, then again...

Cheers!

I'm sick of the kvetching that 4e is like some computer game or might prohibit certain types of adventure.

To me, this description actually strikes me as similar to the Known World from the Old D&D red, blue, and green books (and their Gazetteers). It's also rather similar to some areas of Greyhawk!

And let's not forget, Diablo, Elder Scrolls, and even such old games as Bard's tale and Might & Magic had as its roots...Dungeons & Dragons.

reutbing0

First Post
Visceris said:

Well actually, one of the core design ideas behind 3e was "back to the dungeon" and it seems quite obvious that also had its mechanical impact.

Besides, you can do political intrigue in D&D 3e/3.5 even though it really wasn't at the core of the development philosopy for 3e. I wouldn't worry too much about this really.

That said, this premise sounds like the way I've been running D&D for years so I quite like it.

Last edited:

Remove ads