The Delver, a professional adventurer [new base class, PEACH]

Sekhmet

First Post
As for the "Non-Delver arcane casters have only damage to add"... I don't know what to make of that without derailing my own thread.
One quick note, I was referring only to the idea that the Delver seemed to encompass any spells outside of damage dealing that a Wizard might need to use on a day-to-day basis, not that Wizards only use was damage dealing.

FoxWander

Adventurer
Dandu said:
Focus on things like Knock, Alarm, Floating Disk, Prying Eyes, Telekinesis, and Telepathic bond, perhaps? Those seemed much more thematically appropriate compared to things like Teleport, Speak with Dead, Hideous Laughter, and etc.

Basically, the spells you'd cast to get around a dungeon, not necessarily the spells you cast to win a battle inside a dungeon.
Good suggestions. Thanks. I'll tweak and repost the spell list later-- need to focus on college work now.

Sekhmet said:
One quick note, I was referring only to the idea that the Delver seemed to encompass any spells outside of damage dealing that a Wizard might need to use on a day-to-day basis, not that Wizards only use was damage dealing.
OK- that makes a lot more sense.

But this was kind of the idea- that a delver could enhance the party by covering the utility aspects leaving everyone else to focus on other aspects of adventure survival.

CuRoi

First Post
Its an interesting concept though I can't help but think it fits better maybe as a Prestige Class? It sort of has a Bard "jack of all trades" feel to it, but how many "jack of all trades" classes can you have? I could easily see this concept being a highly focused Bard, Rogue, or Ranger.

I'd agree with comments on the spell list. You've made a Rogue that has 9th level spells with no spell failure. A greater focus on spells to survive in a dungeon is a great idea. I mean, Plane Shift, Etherealness and Teleport all seem to negate the need to "Delve" into anything : ) Yeah, I get how those could be extremely useful in a dungeon or treasure hunting...or ANYWHERE...

I'd take many of those spells on the list over the rogue "sneak attack" ability any day. I think a party would too "So guys, you want me to seriously wound this one target with a well placed dagger, or do you want me to lock down the whole room with Evard's Tentacles?"

So, you have the Rogue trapfinding, rogue skills along with all the spells that nearly invalidate all rogue skills, then yeah, you've replaced the rogue.

For a spell list, I'd consider something closer to a Bard's with a lower level spell limit as a fix?

FoxWander

Adventurer
OK, I've re-worked the spell list to focus more on utility, information, and such while removing spells that didn't fit- like battlefield control, attack buffs, or straight attacks. While there are some spells that can be used to attack, they mostly have a good utility function also. For combat spells I included things that enhance melee ability like magic weapon, weapon of energy, and tenser's transformation at the high end. Although I did kept magic missile on the list- just because. Finally, I capped the list at 6th level to allow for possibly bumping the BAB to medium and adding good Will saves (for two good saves).

I think I'll also change Combat Tactics to just a damage bonus. A dip to get that would be too tempting for any character with sneak attack (or something similar). As just a damage bonus it's probably equivalent to 1-2 dice of sneak attack- unless you really bump your Int bonus. Anyway, here's the new spell list. Let me know how you think this changes things.

Delver Spell List version 2
0-LEVEL DELVER SPELLS
Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Know Direction, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Prestidigitation, Read magic, Silent Portal

1st LEVEL DELVER SPELLS
Animate Rope, Bigby's Helpful Hand, Comprehend Languages, Deep Breath, Detect Secret Doors, Endure Elements, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Grease, Identify, Magic Missile, Magic Weapon, Rouse, Scholar’s Touch, Spider Climb, Spontaneous Search, Tensor’s Floating Disk, Vigilant Slumber

2nd LEVEL DELVER SPELLS
Battering Ram, Bigby's Disrupting Hand, Continual Flame, Delay Poison, Invisibility, Knock, Levitate, Locate Object, Make Whole, Minor Image, Mirror Image, Resist Energy, Rope Trick, See Invisible, Shatter, Speak to Allies, Surefooted Stride, Tongues

3rd LEVEL DELVER SPELLS
Arcane Eye, Arcane Sight, Clairaudience/clairvoyance, Dispel Magic, Gaseous Form, Ghost Lantern, Magic Weapon (Greater), Major Image, Minor Creation, Regroup, Scrying, Shrink Item, Speak with Dead, Stone Shape, Water breathing, Weapon of Energy

4th LEVEL DELVER SPELLS
Dimension Door, Divination, Fabricate, Freedom of Movement, Improved Invisibility, Know Vulnerabilities, Legend Lore, Leomund’s Hidden Lodge, Locate Creature, Neutralize Poison, Prying Eyes, Rebirth of Iron

5th LEVEL DELVER SPELLS
Bigby's Interposing Hand, Dimension Door (Greater), Dragonsight, Major Creation, Passwall, Persistent Image, Rary’s Telepathic Bond, Sending, Surefooted Stride (Mass), Telekinesis

6th LEVEL DELVER SPELLS
Animate Objects, Bigby's Forceful Hand, Find the Path, Legend Lore, Ooze Puppet, Stonetell, Tenser's Transformation, Transcribe Symbol

CuRoi

First Post
For combat spells I included things that enhance melee ability like magic weapon, weapon of energy, and tenser's transformation at the high end. Although I did kept magic missile on the list- just because. Finally, I capped the list at 6th level to allow for possibly bumping the BAB to medium and adding good Will saves (for two good saves).

I think you are safe boosting BAB to "medium". It makes a bit more sense with the ability to wear some armor and works better with some of the new combat spells. I'm imposing -my- image of a pro "delver" but I see a scrappy, resourceful type that can swing a sword if they need to, so it works for me.

Which leads me to notice I didn't provide much positive feedback in my original post. I definitely like the idea and it paints a very vivid picture for me. There was a gnome shopkeeper in my last campaign (lost his leg and retired from adventuring to run a general store in town) who this would have been perfect for : )

I like your second run at a spell list. It seems to make the class more distinct.

It still sort of steps on a "rogues toes" a touch IMO, but I'm perhaps overprotective of the base classes so I'm not the best judge of that.

I don't care much for the DR on the list of special abilities; doesn't seem to fit. I'm also a bit suspect of the Mettle/Slippery Mind/Evasion/Improved Evasion and "Lucky" all in one. Might need to leave 2 bad saves for all that to make sense? (I could easily see "Fortitude" being higher priority than Will for the class if you give another high save, IMO).

Otherwise, I think it is looking pretty balanced (I've seen much more poorly balanced "official" material; but what's "balanced" is most often a factor of the tone for the campaign than measuring against any official list of classes) and would be fun to play...as a gnome...with lots of dungeoneering tools and gadgets :)

FoxWander

Adventurer
So, I did some revisions based on advice here and at brilliantgameologists and I've got a new update for review. Changes in this version include...
  • Bumped to medium BAB, d8 hit points and 2 good saves (reflex and will)
  • Made the spell progression more bard-like- except tweaked so it at least has 1st level spells at first level. It can be scaled back to a "bonus spells" only for new spell levels to balance any of the other changes if needed.
  • Took bkdubs suggestion and added some higher level spells at lower levels since they aren't gained until later now.
  • For more combat ability I added some ranger-esque "combat styles"- but they start 1 level later than the ranger gets them. Added extra styles besides just archery and 2-weapons. These may need to be tweaked compared to published combats styles.
  • Dropped the "combat tactics" thing and added "sneak attack" as a combat style.
  • Dropped damage reduction from the special abilities- too powerful and didn't really fit.
  • Moved Evasion to the special abilities list- you can only get Imp. Evasion if you have Evasion first.
  • And probably the most controversial change- added access to one domain (spells and granted power) and turn undead (limited as a paladin) to the list of special abilities. This might seem like a big bump in power, but I don't think it's that bad- though the domains might have to be limited to a short, themed list.

So, here it is in a spoiler- check it out and tell me what you think.

The Delver v2.0
[sblock]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Appraise, Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (all), Listen, Move Silently, Open Locks, Search, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device, and Use Rope

Code:
                                                                                       Spells per Day
Lvl  BAB         Fort  Ref  Will    Class Abilities                            0   1st  2nd  3rd  4th  5th  6th
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1    +0           +0   +2    +2     Armored Mage, Trapfinding, Delver Lore     3    1    -    -    -    -    - 
2    +1           +0   +3    +3                                                4    2    -    -    -    -    - 
3    +2           +1   +3    +3     Advanced Learning, Combat Style            4    2    -    -    -    -    - 
4    +3           +1   +4    +4                                                4    3    1    -    -    -    - 
5    +3           +1   +4    +4     Special Ability                            4    3    2    -    -    -    - 
6    +4           +2   +5    +5                                                5    3    2    -    -    -    - 
7    +5           +2   +5    +5     Advanced Learning, Improved Combat Style   5    4    3    1    -    -    - 
8    +6/+1        +2   +6    +6                                                5    4    3    2    -    -    - 
9    +6/+1        +3   +6    +6     Special Ability                            5    4    3    2    -    -    - 
10   +7/+2        +3   +7    +7                                                5    4    4    3    1    -    - 
11   +8/+3        +3   +7    +7     Advanced Learning, Combat Style Mastery    6    4    4    3    2    -    - 
12   +9/+4        +4   +8    +8                                                6    4    4    3    2    -    - 
13   +9/+4        +4   +8    +8     Special Ability                            6    4    4    4    3    1    - 
14   +10/+5       +4   +9    +9                                                6    4    4    4    3    2    - 
15   +11/+6/+1    +5   +9    +9     Advanced Learning                          6    4    4    4    3    2    - 
16   +12/+7/+2    +5   +10   +10                                               6    4    4    4    4    3    1 
17   +12/+7/+2    +5   +10   +10    Special Ability                            6    4    4    4    4    3    2 
18   +13/+8/+3    +6   +11   +11                                               6    4    4    4    4    3    2 
19   +14/+9/+4    +6   +11   +11    Advanced Learning                          6    4    4    4    4    4    3 
20   +15/+10/+5   +6   +12   +12    Special Ability                            6    4    4    4    4    4    3

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Delver.

Weapon and Armor proficiency: Delvers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all crossbows, whips, as well as light armor and all shields (except tower shields).

Spells: A delver casts arcane spells, which are drawn from the delver spell list given below. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time. When a delver gains access to a new level of spells, he automatically knows all the spells for that level listed on the delver’s spell list. Essentially, his spell list is the same as his spells known list.

To cast a spell, a delver must have an Intelligence score of 10 + the spell’s level (Int 10 for 0-level spells, Int 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a delver’s spell is 10 + the spell’s level + the delver’s Int modifier. Like other spellcasters, a delver can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on the Delver Class Table. In addition, he receives bonus spells for a high Intelligence score (see Table 1–1, page 8 of the Player’s Handbook).

A delver need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level.

Armored Mage (Ex): Normally, armor of any type interferes with an arcane spellcaster’s gestures, which can cause his spells to fail (if those spells have somatic components). A delver’s limited focus and specialized training, however, allows him to avoid arcane spell failure as long as he sticks to light armor and light shields. This training does not extend to any other form of armor or shield, nor does this ability apply to spells gained from a different spellcasting class.

Trapfinding (Ex): A delver can use the Search skill to locate traps with a DC higher than 20, and he can use Disable Device to bypass a trap or disarm magic traps. See the rogue class feature, page 50 of the Player’s Handbook.

Delver Lore (Ex): The Delver’s research into legends, lore, and dungeons gives him a broad range of knowledge on the subject. A delver may make a special delver lore check with a bonus equal to his delver level + his Int modifier to see whether he knows some relevant information about local notable people, legendary items, or noteworthy places. (If the delver has 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (history), he gains a +2 bonus on this check.)

A successful delver lore check will not reveal the powers of a magic item but may give a hint as to its general function. A delver may not take 10 or take 20 on this check; this sort of knowledge is essentially random. See the bardic knowledge class feature, page 28 of the Player’s Handbook for the common DCs for this check.

Advanced Learning (Ex): At 3rd, 6th, 11th, 16th, and 19th level, a delver can add a new spell to his list, representing the result of personal study and experimentation. The spell must be a sorcerer/wizard spell, but it can be from any school. The spell is treated as being one level higher than normal (for example, acid arrow, a 2nd-level sorcerer/wizard spell, would be treated as a 3rd-level delver spell in this case). The delver must be capable of casting spells of the new spell’s adjusted level—for instance, he can’t choose a 3rd-level sorcerer/wizard spell at 6th level, because the spell is treated as a 4th-level spell for him. Once a new spell is selected, it is forever added to that delver’s spell list and can be cast just like any other spell he knows.

Combat Style (Ex): At 3rd level, a delver selects a combat styles to pursue: archery, dirty tricks, guerilla tactics, single weapon, two weapons, thrown weapons or unarmed combat. This choice affects the character’s class features but does not restrict his selection of feats or special abilities in any way. He is treated as having the listed feat even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

Archery - Rapid Shot
Fencer - Weapon Finesse
Guerilla Tactics - Able Sniper
Polearms - Stand Still
Single Weapon - Weapon Focus
Sneak Attack - 1d6
Thrown Weapons - Quick Draw
Two Weapon - Two-Weapon Fighting
Unarmed Combat - Improved Unarmed Strike

The benefits of the delver’s chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Improved Combat Style (Ex): At 7th level, a delver’s aptitude in his chosen combat style improves. He is treated as having the listed feat (according to his previous choice) even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

Archery - Manyshot
Fencer - Spring Attack
Guerilla Tactics - Mobility
Polearms - Short Haft
Single Weapon - Weapon Specialization
Sneak Attack - 3d6
Thrown Weapons - Rapid Shot
Two Weapon - Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
Unarmed Combat - Superior Unarmed Strike

As before, the benefits of the delver’s chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Combat Style Mastery (Ex): At 11th level, a delver’s aptitude in his chosen combat style improves again. He is treated as having the listed feat (according to his previous choice) even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

Archery - Improved Precise Shot
Fencer - Bounding Assault
Guerilla Tactics - Shot on the Run
Polearms - Whirlwind Attack
Single Weapon - Improved Critical
Sneak Attack - 5d6
Thrown Weapons - Far Shot
Two Weapon - Greater Two-Weapon Fighting
Unarmed Combat - Stunning Fist

As before, the benefits of the delver’s chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Special Ability: On attaining 5th level (and again at 9th, 13th, 17th, and 20th level) a delver gains a special ability from the following list. Unless otherwise note, a given ability may only be selected once.

Acrobatic Charge (Ex): A delver with this ability can charge in situations where others cannot. He may charge over difficult terrain that normally slows movement or allies blocking his path. This ability enables him to run down steep stairs, leap down from a balcony, or to tumble over tables to get to his target. Depending on the circumstance, he may still need to make appropriate checks (Jump or Tumble checks, in particular) to successfully move over the terrain.

Another Day (Ex): Once per day, when the delver would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by a melee attack, he can take a 5-foot step as an immediate action. If the movement takes him out of the reach of the attack, he takes no damage from the attack. The delver is staggered for 1 round on his next turn.

Danger Sense (Ex): A delver with this ability is uncannily aware of hidden dangers giving him a number of advantages. First, whenever the delver comes within 10 feet of a trap, he receives an immediate Search check to notice the trap. This check should be made in secret by the GM. Second, he receives a +4 insight bonus to both Reflex saves to avoid traps and his Armor Class against attacks by traps. Finally, whenever a check is called for to avoid surprise, the delver gets two rolls and takes the better roll of the two.

Domain: The delver gains access to a clerical domain of his choice. He gains the granted power of the chosen domain and adds its spells (levels 1-6 only) to his delver spell list. These spells can be cast just like any other spell he knows.

Evasion (Ex): The delver can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the delver is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless delver does not gain the benefit of evasion

Improved Evasion (Ex): This ability can only be taken if the delver has the Evasion ability. This ability works like evasion, except that while the delver still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, he henceforth takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless delver does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A delver can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): This ability can only be taken if the delver has the Uncanny Dodge ability. The can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the delver by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than he has delver levels. If a character has an uncanny dodge ability from a second class, the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Lucky (Ex): Once per day, a delver with this ability may reroll any failed attack roll, skill check, ability check, or saving throw. The character must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll.

Mettle (Ex): The delver can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If he makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping delver does not gain the benefit of mettle.

Opportunist (Ex): Once per round, the delver can make an attack of opportunity against an opponent who has just been struck for damage in melee by another character. This attack counts as the delver’s attack of opportunity for that round. Even a delver with the Combat Reflexes feat can’t use the opportunist ability more than once per round.

Redirect Attack (Ex): Once per day, when a delver with this ability is hit with a melee attack, he can redirect the attack to strike at an adjacent creature with a free action. The creature targeted must be within melee reach of the attack that hit the delver, and the creature that made the attack against the delver must make a new attack roll against the new target.

Skill Mastery: The delver becomes so certain in the use of certain skills that he can use them reliably even under adverse conditions. Upon gaining this ability, he selects a number of skills equal to 3 + his Intelligence modifier. When making a skill check with one of these skills, he may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent him from doing so. A delver may gain this special ability multiple times, selecting additional skills for it to apply to each time.

Slippery Mind (Ex): This ability represents the delver’s ability to wriggle free from magical effects that would otherwise control or compel him. If a delver with slippery mind is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails his saving throw, he can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. He gets only this one extra chance to succeed on his saving throw.

Turn Undead (Su): The delver gains the supernatural ability to turn undead. He may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier. He turns undead as a cleric of three levels lower would.

Delver Spell List

0-LEVEL DELVER SPELLS
Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Know Direction, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Prestidigitation, Read magic, Silent Portal

1st LEVEL DELVER SPELLS
Animate Rope, Bigby's Helpful Hand, Comprehend Languages, Deep Breath, Detect Secret Doors, Endure Elements, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Grease, Identify, Magic Missile, Magic Weapon, Rouse, Scholar’s Touch, Spider Climb, Spontaneous Search, Tensor’s Floating Disk, Vigilant Slumber

2nd LEVEL DELVER SPELLS
Battering Ram, Bigby's Disrupting Hand, Continual Flame, Delay Poison, Invisibility, Knock, Levitate, Locate Object, Make Whole, Minor Image, Mirror Image, Resist Energy, Rope Trick, See Invisible, Shatter, Speak to Allies, Surefooted Stride, Tongues

3rd LEVEL DELVER SPELLS
Arcane Eye, Arcane Sight, Clairaudience/clairvoyance, Dispel Magic, Gaseous Form, Ghost Lantern, Greater Magic Weapon, Major Image, Minor Creation, Regroup, Scrying, Shrink Item, Speak with Dead, Stone Shape, Water breathing, Weapon of Energy

4th LEVEL DELVER SPELLS
Dimension Door, Divination, Fabricate, Freedom of Movement, Improved Invisibility, Know Vulnerabilities, Legend Lore, Leomund’s Hidden Lodge, Neutralize Poison, Passwall, Prying Eyes, Rebirth of Iron, Ruin Delver's Fortune, Sending

5th LEVEL DELVER SPELLS
Bigby's Interposing Hand, Dragonsight, Find the Path, Legend Lore, Major Creation, Rary’s Telepathic Bond, Scry Location, Surefooted Stride (Mass), Telekinesis, Tenser's Transformation

6th LEVEL DELVER SPELLS
Analyze Dweomer, Animate Objects, Bigby's Forceful Hand, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, Ooze Puppet, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Transcribe Symbol, Vision
[/sblock]

Sekhmet

First Post
Domains of Knowledge, Luck, or Travel, perhaps, would fit best.
I'm confused by Turn Undead, no matter how many times I read it. I don't feel it is a major power increase, I am just confused.

I like the changes, though. I wonder why you decided to add domains.

FoxWander

Adventurer
Domains of Knowledge, Luck, or Travel, perhaps, would fit best.
I'm confused by Turn Undead, no matter how many times I read it. I don't feel it is a major power increase, I am just confused.

I like the changes, though. I wonder why you decided to add domains.

Well it was the domains I thought might be too much, not the turning undead. I added domains because when I started reworking things to beef up combat ability (after balancing out the spell list the class was pretty weak in a fight), in my initial pass there was a spot right at the start that didn't get anything. And I thought of a choice from a list of low-power, but interesting, pseudo-magical powers might fill the dead level. So I started compiling a list of domain granted powers that fit the delver theme. After a bit of that I thought, 'why not just give them a domain?' And it just really made sense.

The special abilities really make the class customizable to anyone's idea of what a professional adventurer should be. But the magical abilities are fixed. Having the ability to take one domain and add it to your spell list changes that. It adds one last bit of flexibility to really shape the class into what someone wants. Does your party need some extra healing- pick up the healing domain and you can take some of the responsibility off the cleric. Want a little firepower- get an elemental domain. Picture your delver as really blessed by lady luck- luck domain! And since delver's don't get the high level spells, it doesn't get overpowered.

Adding turn undead at that point just seemed like the final piece to make a true jack-of-all-trades adventuring class. Being limited in effective level AND based on a non-prime score for delver's probably even makes that choice pretty weak- but I think having the option to do it really fits the class.

Sekhmet

First Post
As a base class, I can think of any number of classes that do not receive special abilities on every level, or even every early level. Prevents dipping. Not that I know of a "dipper" that would take Delver.
It isn't overpowered, but you should probably limit the Domains to allow for only "dungeoneering" types; Knowledge (Everyone's favourite, anyway), Travel (Have to get there, somehow), Luck (This class seems to enjoy luck-based things), and any other Domain that you can make sense of.
Elemental doesn't make a whole lot of sense, considering the class has no access to damage dealing spells (aside from Magic Missile).
Healing might make sense, I suppose. Have to figure someway around taking damage from failed trap saves.

CuRoi

First Post
I'm not sure about the sneak attack - I suppose it fits, and I don't think what you added is overpowered...I just keep getting that "so why play a rogue?" vibe again.

IMO, the Fort Save fits more than Will, but thats just thematic.

I don't see domains being a problem per se. Its an interesting blend. I agree with Sekhmet about limiting which domains they should have access to. So far the Delver does seem to focus on Luck, Travel, Knowledge, Healing, Protection, Trickery etc. I don't see any case really for the aligned domains (Law, Good, etc.); Elemental planes also seem a bit out of place, Death not very fitting either. Strength and War are also a bit odd...

Turning Undead - I can see it. The Delver has maybe pciked up a few tricks for fending off undead. He's the guy that carries Garlic and Holy Water cause he learned somewhere they come in handy, but not necessarily the guy that calls on a deity to destroy undead creatures with holy power.

I still like the concept, so don't take this the wrong way, but to me it seems the more "plug and play" pieces you add the less focused and interesting it gets. I mean, if one of my players came to me and said "I want to play this", I would have to seriously consider saying "Have you considered multiclassing?"

Not that I'd shoot the idea down - again I like it overall, it just seems to be turning into a build-a-class sort of idea which probably wouldn't work with my campaign (though I've often considered running a game where -everyone- does that.)

Remove ads