D&D 3E/3.5 The DMG: A CRITICAL HIT at 93.5%!

The 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide is still pulling in rave reviews, and is trending at 93.5%. io9 says its "like a Hacker's Manual for D&D", and Geekdad reports that "this 5e ruleset has completely won me back!" There are dissenters, of course - 5 Minute Workday feels its "a whole lot of appetizers but no real main course" - but these are outweighed by reviews from the likes of boingboing who called it "gorgeous, evocative, hefty, organized, and readable".

The 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide is still pulling in rave reviews, and is trending at 93.5%. io9 says its "like a Hacker's Manual for D&D", and Geekdad reports that "this 5e ruleset has completely won me back!" There are dissenters, of course - 5 Minute Workday feels its "a whole lot of appetizers but no real main course" - but these are outweighed by reviews from the likes of boingboing who called it "gorgeous, evocative, hefty, organized, and readable".

So, clearly the Dungeon Master's Guide has garnered critical praise. You can look at the list of critical reviews from outlets around the web. The critics have given it an aggregate score of 85%; but fans have shown more support and weigh in with a whopping 93.5%!

Fun with stats: D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide is ranked #3 out of 24 products with 10 or more reviews, placing it in the 92% percentile. It is rated 15.1 points higher than the overall average product rating of 78.4%. With 43 reviews, this is the #3 most reviewed product.

dmg-5e-cover.jpg

dwayne

Adventurer
I would say it has just the right stuff to tantalize the imagination and stimulate the creative part for the DM. Also putting valuable tools to help the DM and options to help ad more depth to the game a tool box for the GM. I can see parts of what made me like 1st and 2nd edition and simplified parts from 3 and 3.5 as well as a few good points from 4th. This with the players book and monster manual make a great trio of books and is the best of all editions in one, great job guys you have made this old DM proud and happy to come back to a game I loved as a kid.

pedr

Explorer
Publicly disagreeing with official opinion has a negative connotation? I'm pretty sure lots will disagree with that!

(Besides, in this context it must mean"Publicly disagree with ... [a] set of beliefs." There can't really be an official set of beliefs (I think that definition is poorly written).

Edit: typo that reversed my meaning!

JeffB

Legend
Does anyone really take these ratings to heart? I don't put much stock in movie reviews, music reviews, or gamer reviews. Its just such a personal thing, you cannot rate "taste", and I rarely ever am on the same page as the reviewer.

fjw70

Adventurer
Does anyone really take these ratings to heart? I don't put much stock in movie reviews, music reviews, or gamer reviews. Its just such a personal thing, you cannot rate "taste", and I rarely ever am on the same page as the reviewer.

I agree, but I still find reviews (but not necessarily ratings) useful. I actually find negative (or less favorable if you will) reviews more helpful than positive ones. If the negative reviewers issues are things that are no big deal to me or things I persoanlly like then I figure I will like the product.

Ravenheart87

Explorer
After the DMG of 2e, 3e, and 4e, this one deserves an effing A. Not my favorite DMG, but being second to the messy masterpiece of Gygax is a very high praise from me.

fjw70

Adventurer
And I can't believe I just got into a disagreement over the meaning of a word on the internet. I feel dirty now... :(

Yes it sucks to get sucked into those, but it's hard to avoid when someone is presenting inaccurate/incomplete information.

Derren

Hero
This is very wrong. Shadowrun Beginner Box set gets 75%, 13 True Ways get 91%, The Strange Core rulebook gets 91%, Numenera core rulebook gets 92%, 13th Age Core rulebook gets 86.5%, and here, DMG for D&D 5e gets 93.4% trending towards 94%?!!?

Either most of those who reviewed this are too lenient, bias or else their repertoire of RPG readings are quite restrictive.

I think there is a lot of desperation involved of wanting 5E to be good. Also historically Enworld has always been "very enthusiastic" about new D&D editions. And, marketing from WotC went into overdrive and convinced their customers that vague and incomplete rules are a good thing. So the requirements for a book to be perceived as good are now a lot lower.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hussar

Legend
I think there is a lot of desperation involved of wanting 5E to be good. Also historically Enworld has always been "very enthusiastic" about new D&D editions. And, marketing from WotC went into overdrive and convinced their customers that vague and incomplete rules are a good thing. So the requirements for a book to be perceived as good are now a lot lower.

ROTFLMAO. Anyone who thinks the 5e DMG is apparently incapable of being discerning in their judgement. Nice. The above basically means that anyone who agrees with you is right thinking and showing good taste and anyone who disagrees with you is a mindless fanboy. It couldn't possibly be that people actually like the book and think it's well written. That's just not possible. :uhoh:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads